LINE - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: LINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
THE BRAID SETUP OR THE MONO SETUP SNAPS?
AS PER ORIGINAL QUESTION::::
I am obliged to tell you what to use. however, there are soooooooo many choices for you to make already here that i feel compelled to beat myself with a rubber mallet for even opening this thread...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

done em all. Decisions decisions I suppose.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I can still only bench press with closed hands. I max out at 250#
I max out at around -- whats a 12 pack weigh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

lmfao!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Not quite sure but I think that I read somewhere that the friction caused as mono moves against braid, the mono cuts braid.
My wife and I went fishing on a party boat one time with fifty eight other people who were using fifty pound mono. We were fishing for blues with twenty pound braid on my rod and twenty pound mono on my wife’s rod it seemed my line was the only line breaking. So during a great bluefish blitz I changed the brand (new braid) for fifteen pound mono, this ended the break offs but not the cut offs, this was fine I only had a couple of cut offs.
Where and how you fish has a lot to do with line choice as will other factors heaver line will net you more fish than lighter line. Lighter line is more exciting and harder for a fish to feel or see. I have used both fifteen and twenty pound mono and like both. I like the way fifteen pound test casts and the strength of twenty. I have caught many stripers so losing one to light line doesn't hurt like it used to.
If you would like to try for a record class fish the line has to be certifiable, and as far as knots go I like a uni knot.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if i were a mate on a party boat and you were fishing braid i would make life very difficult for you. that is a nightmare. friction from mono or any other material can heat the braid to a temp it can no longer tolerate and the molecular structure is compromized but i don't think that was your problem. if your setup was stored in the attic or garage and it was hot as hell there in summer months for a period of time that is another reason for the braid to fail. i will do a sticky on this subject.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM

ok well after reading bout line for a while i have come across one that i like pretty good so far
it is called p line flourocarbon
Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Hi Zimnoi:
So very nice to meet you my family and I have been fishing party boats for over thirty years, this fact does not make us experts just dedicated common folks. We first started out on the party boats to have three generations fish together then later four generations. For me these first outings were about catching fish and learning how to catch fish. After my son was born it was about watching his antics, seeing the pride in his grandfather’s eyes and raising a good ward of the waters. Later our trips tended to be about the people on the boat and the friendships formed. At times it becomes our pleasure to help others around us catch fish: as it is always exciting for us to watch someone catch a certain species for the first time especially a youngster.
Our family always has a great time once ashore critiquing the fishing trip with family and friends. Every party boat trip is always so different. We have learned to take everything in stride fish, no fish, blue bird days, one person sea sick, everyone sea sick, whales, sunfish, tuna chasing bluefish hooks in fish hooks in skin; the stories appear endless.
The story about the new braid was true, the line breaking was true, and I assure you the line was in pristine shape, it was just not able to hold up to being pulled across mono under load. It was one of the mates who suggested I change the line after noting my frustration caused by the break offs, and he helped me respool the reel during a move. If I were to be pressed I may be able to find the article mono vs. braid. That being said if you bump into a fellow using a serf rod on the back of a party boat that may be me. I will be the friendly gracious one with the large family; every one of them willing to cut their own line to help the cause and get fishing going again.
The most common consensus among family members and friends is that the mates can make a big difference in mood and outcome of a fishing adventure. We have met mates who were unwilling to do their jobs, as pros. We have seen mates flirt with customers ignoring other paying customers we have seen mates stomping bluefish to see who they could get blood on and those stories go on and on. We have also met Captains and mates who were fantastic at their jobs fish or no fish people enjoyed their day on the water.
I have never used Cajun line but if I had the opportunity to it would be fifteen or twenty pound test for striper fishing under most conditions.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i did post an explanation of what braid is and how it's made on the heels of this post of yours. i am so happy you and your family enjoy fishing so much. i envy you for that and from this post feel your joy. well, with exception of my mate statement that was prolly not so joyful. sometimes with lighter braid like that the knots can't hold directly to the business end (without a shock leader) and if so a shock leader can DIG and the braid can pop through the fluoro or mono. if you have a fish on and is intertwined with another line and the tension is now twofold. a strong 8# bluefish will make way with another on another line and then there is dual pressure. i can say this, that if it were spiderwire you were asking for that to happen. other factors with braid is it was stored over the season in extreme cold or extreme heat and you bought a spool of compromised line or if it were spooled at the bait shop that too could be a reason. rubbing against any line/.structure/fish/ etc, can cause the line to fray a bit and then it is deemed useless when a fish is in escape mode. i am sure your guides are in good condition as you seem to know how to fish. i gravitate towards the family fishing no matter where i am and are first to lend a hand as it is just the finest aspect of the fishing experience as far as i am concerned. gladly look forward to future posts and contributions from you.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM

The only thing I really get burned on braid is the wind knot you can miss thats deep in the spool. especially if you dont automatically manually add tension by tugging it back a bit on the spool. next thing you know great cast - favorite plug. bye bye .
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Rod Havoc

I used cajun line once didnt like it for freshwater , Knots up to easy and birds nest's on a freshwater baitcaster

Team: True Grit

Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 AM

4 me power pro 60lbs neva did me wrong i fish on the hudson an i catch big fish so it works for me
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

BX, hope that serves you well. for me it's 12lb mono or nothing. I'll go the whole season until I've convinced myself otherwise.

there was a time when I'd use a mono leader of 30# mono leader before a spool of 15# mono. It felt good casting, but to be honest, I've never been into fish that could ruin and laugh at 15# test.

i've tried spooling straight 50# braid (the only braid thick enough to cast without slicing your fingers off), 25# mono and those just don't seem to do it for me. No more posts from me until I learn everything there is to know about 12# mono for surf and chunking. God forbid I hook into big fish! I'm thinking had I stuck with 12# mono from the beginning of my surf casting career, I would have never needed to join this post from the begining. I'd have learned the lessons for myself! . . . teach a man to fish . . .

Cheers and a happy season,
-Dana
Old 04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
God forbid I hook into big fish!
Amen to that.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM

I started using PowerPro a couple years ago, and I can't see myself ever using mono again. I prefer 20-30lb for the type fishing I do.