LINE - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 AM

Default LINE

What is a good weight of line for stripers and blues??
What does every one think bout cajun line??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: LINE

I use 20 lb mono and a 25lb fluro leader.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM

leave the cajun for the freshwater cajans
never tried it and wouldnt bother. ande for me as mono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Pro Staff

If you're going with Mono, Ande is one of the best.

I prefer Fireline for braid, but that's just me.

By the way....

This question has been asked, and answered in detail MANY times.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 AM

I've been using cajun line now for 3 yrs. and never had a fish snap it so far. (probably shouldnt have said that). i troll with 30 lbs. test and catch some really nice spring stripers in the chesapeake bay. it gets the job done.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
leave the cajun for the freshwater cajans
never tried it and wouldnt bother.
Im sure the cajan line company loves me. maybe they'll send me some to try and ill tell everybody i love it.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I've been using cajun line for snelling hooks. Seems stout. Maybe too much, but I think good for short rig.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
First Mate

Powerpro is deffiently the best line out there to use.
I use that for snapper fishing.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

20# is an all around good weight rating line for what your going to be doing. its best to do what almost everyone here has already done....try different brands untill you find the one YOU like best.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Striper Hunter

20# Big Game Then 25# fluoro leader.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

some guys go 50 Power pro (pp) braid, cuz they can't F around with schoolies. they winch them in so they can get back to the hunt. I'm of the opinion that 15 mono with a stout mono leader for my fingers and rig is fine. With the leader set you should have 5 or so wraps on the spool.

Just me . . . but I have always had this setup produce an audible "snap" within a few casts. YES: I tied, re tied, re tied, then re tied until it looked pretty. Spent lots of time doin it. Forgot how to do it. Line snap within 20 casts garuanteed every time. I don't do it anymore.

With the up coming season I am a bit perplexed on how to get around this. I hate the way 20# mono casts. It's like every time I cast I say "that's it? ReallY?" Then again you loose everything by using 50# pp on your spool not to mention you can overload a reel that was never intended for it, and a rod that is only classed at 20-30# line.

I'll never use a casting leader again, 20# mono casts like chinese steel (i.e. poop), and 50# braid (the only grade++ that wont slice your fingers off) is to rigid and insensitive and makes my presentation look spooky and weird.

help?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
some guys go 50 Power pro (pp) braid, cuz they can't F around with schoolies. they winch them in so they can get back to the hunt. I'm of the opinion that 15 mono with a stout mono leader for my fingers and rig is fine. With the leader set you should have 5 or so wraps on the spool.

Just me . . . but I have always had this setup produce an audible "snap" within a few casts. YES: I tied, re tied, re tied, then re tied until it looked pretty. Spent lots of time doin it. Forgot how to do it. Line snap within 20 casts garuanteed every time. I don't do it anymore.

With the up coming season I am a bit perplexed on how to get around this. I hate the way 20# mono casts. It's like every time I cast I say "that's it? ReallY?" Then again you loose everything by using 50# pp on your spool not to mention you can overload a reel that was never intended for it, and a rod that is only classed at 20-30# line.

I'll never use a casting leader again, 20# mono casts like chinese steel (i.e. poop), and 50# braid (the only grade++ that wont slice your fingers off) is to rigid and insensitive and makes my presentation look spooky and weird.

help?
THE BRAID SETUP OR THE MONO SETUP SNAPS?
AS PER ORIGINAL QUESTION::::
I am obliged to tell you what to use. however, there are soooooooo many choices for you to make already here that i feel compelled to beat myself with a rubber mallet for even opening this thread...

Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Mono to heavier mono

Or

Braid to Mono

Both ways Snaps every time with the best darn albright I know how to fabricate. don't get me wrong it'll last a several casts, but it will eventually break for me, but as I've said, I'll never do it again.

It's just my experience. Suppose I'll learn to cast giant wooden pikies on 12# mono is all.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

your not tying it right. an albright is a hitch type knot that needs to be locked. sometimes even a modified albright would come undone. heavy mono is notorious for that. and braid will DIG into mono/fluoro in a way that corrupts the integrity of said knot if you are horsing fish or winging it out with authority ie; doing a catapult or pendulum type of whipping cast. inertia with the initial cast can also cause the line to break at the knot as force X weight X mass will make a 50# lines integrity be compromised. the slim beauty is a better knot for heavier mono to lighter mono (within reason) the modified albright with mono to braid (if tied right) will last all night if not for a big fish. after that a new knot should be in order as alot of force is placed on that knot > but not alot if your drag is set right.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Thanks. I played Div I rugby in college, and after until I dislocated my shoulder. I can still only bench press with closed hands. I max out at 250#. To me that's weak, but I try to break my rods every cast. If they break they break. God's will.