Leader/knot Question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Leader/knot Question

Hey all,
I'm completely new to the world of striped bass and I have a couple questions. I plan on fishing this year with 65lb braided line on a spinning reel and my questions are....
-What pound test mono should my shock leader be?
-Currently I'm experimenting with connecting my braided line to heavier/thicker mono with an albright knot, but I can see the tag ends of this potentially getting cought on the eyes of the rod upon casting. Besides trimming down as best as possible, is there a simple solution to this tag end problem that I'm just missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Re: Leader/knot Question

Hi, and welcome to the board.

Every one has their own technique so you'll probable get different replies. I'm lazy so when I plug I tie a three to four foot length of fluorocarbon to a spro swivel and attach that to the main line. I then tie a snap to the tag end to connect the plugs. It makes it easier to change the leader if it gets nicked. It also makes for quick lure changes.

If your useing heavy braid I don't think you really need a shock leader. What size plugs are you throwing?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Lunker

fifty different guys, fifty different answers to this one .i dont know where you will be fishing but 65 # is pretty heavy stuff. lots of guys do what you do with the albright from braid to mono or flouro,good idea if your afraid of sucking a barrel swivel up into your rod tip.depends alot on the length of leader you intend on using.i do the same as khary, 50# braid,to barrel swivel to flouro to breakaway snap.as khary said ,it enables you to go quickly from plug to jig to metal to whatever without fumbling in the dark. but to each his own ,maybe some others will post up and you will find something you like. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

With 65# braid, IMO, you don't need the shock leader. I use with my super lines a swivel and 36"s of 50# fluoro or mono leader.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the replies, khary23 on this setup described I don't think I plan on plugging as much as I do chunking. The setup is a:
-tsunami 12' rated for 6-10oz of weight

For plugcasting I have an 8' rod rated for 1-3oz spooled with berkly 20lb test. (but I don't seen to use this as much when fishing from the surf, which is why I got the bigger rod for chunking on those days where I just can't seem to get enough casting behind my plug)
Old 03-02-2008, 02:24 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

What kind of chunking rig are you going to use?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:37 PM

Tom
Read this article on shockleaders Theres not much you can do if you dont use a propper knot outside of changing the eyelet to a bigger diameter. Tied correctly your knot must must have a slim profile.
Try a little crazy glue on it if you must use it. Like it has been said. If your throwing that kind of weight and your running line is 20 pound test then you'll need a shock leader.

You wont need it with 60 pound braid.
Just use a regular 2 to three foot flouro or mono leader when using braid. Too long and your sinker will helicopter.

Heres another suggestion for a knot. Its for a light line to a heavier line.
I use it a lot and its always worked for me.
Ps I use it to eliminate hardware when tying leaders to braid.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Jim, thanks for the link and the knot picture, I haven't tried that knot as of yet so I'll definetly give it a try.

khary23, what do you mean by "what kind of chunking rig"? lol, sorry I can be oblivious to the most obvious stuff sometimes.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I meant if you are useing a fishfinder rig or a three way rig Check out this link

https://www.stripers247.com/chunkingbaitforstripers.htm
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
First Mate

If you are chunking then you need a shock leader that can be tied with an Alberto knot. For every ounce it is 10# test shock leader . . .
Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I use the Alberto knot on my leader to braid, with conventional reels.
But Jim, I like that knot you got there. I'm gonna try that.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 AM

I think its version of the slim beauty. I dont know how it would hold up to a real cow. But it holds 8 ounce sinkers and bunker. If you think about a knot in the line wheres it gonna go? It would have to break the overhand knot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ
I use the Alberto knot on my leader to braid, with conventional reels
I watched Alberto tie that knot and the end result is sweet with a real slim profile. 65 pound braid to 60 flouro. The tag ends are trimmed real close.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you gotta secure the simple simon after it;s done. sometimes the knot will slip out on a 60 or 80lb shock leader. some braids are not friendly to this knot. it is the kind of knot that warrants close attention and or periodic changes as it will ultimately weaken at the stress point and can rip out at that juncture if you set the hook with gorrilla like force. one needs to know what he;s dealing with when securing and tying knots. it is one of the most vital aspects (if not THE most) of fishing imo.

the slim beauty is my go to leader to tippet knot but is more elaborate than that image. i double the tippet line and on the other end i do a modified alberto on the return it takes some doing with a heavier line but i wouldn;t use it for heavy mono anyway.,

Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
some braids are not friendly to this knot
Paulie which knot?
The simple simon meaning that granny clinch? If so what do you mean secure it. Crazy glue or something?
The thicker end gets the overhand knots.
The braid end is clinched along the inside of the leader and reinserted at the first loop and cinched.
I suppose it could slip if not wrapped enough.

Next time we get together we'll do a little break test on it and know for sure.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the alberto knot (same as a simple simon) i can;t say which was named first or who actually was the "inventor" if you will. i give the credit to crazy al as he put it out there for me to use/ like all knots a smaller profile line always works flawlessly but jumping up to heavier gauge lines needs more attention to detail is all.