Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

4 oz lures - shock leader needed?

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I am new to the world of surfcasting and stripers. I'm pretty psyched about going out this weekend for the first time with my new setup. I bought :

- a 9' ugly stik
- a shimano baitrunner 4500 with 20# test
- several lures that the local tackle shop recommended

I have been reading through a lot of advice columns, message boards, and such, and I noticed a lot of talk about leaders.

In your opinions, what is the best way to attach my lures to the line? Should I attach a swivel to the 20#, and then attach heavier mono on the other end which then directly attaches to the lure?

The tackle shop I went to told me to attach black wire leader to a swivel, and then attach the lure directly to the wire leader.

I was just wondering what you guys do.

Thanks for your help, and have a happy 4th!

See less See more
#3 ·
leaders

Welcome to the board djm Where in NYC are you?

This weekend will be maddening on the beaches but the striper guys should be out at night time for the last good run till the fall. The summer months the water temps get too high in shallow water. Blues will dominate the surf. Thats why the guy said to buy the 9 or 15 inch pre packaged blue fish wire leaders with 6/0 or 7/0 hooks, because they gnarl your line pretty good. At night Ive had success with bass using wire leaders, but having said that you should read this article http://www.stripers247.com/Catchingastripedbass.htm buy the prepackaged striped bass hooks at your local tackle shop. If you use circle hooks or set your hooks quickly you can bring in monster blues even with mono. But it takes experience. Hooked in the corner of the mouth they cant bite up on your leader. ( they will bite right through mono even wire).

I expect the bite to be slower for bass from the shoreline in july and august but the fish are still out there, just holding deeper. They may come close to shore at high tide and higher surf in the early morning and evenings.

Have fun and good luck. Your sinkers should be between 3 oz and 6 oz depending on the current if you want to hold bottom. If your casting out metal use 2 oz lures. but make sure you use wire for the blues or you will lose your expensive lures.

Of course this applies only to the mid atlantic states right now as the blue fish dominate.

#4 ·
thanks

thanks very much for the advice guys.

I am actually living in Manhattan right now, but I get out to Long Island quite a bit. I have a lot of friends living out there, since I grew up out there.

Well ... I'll take your advice to the test this weekend. I plan on surf fishing at dusk either Sat or Sun ... and then going fluke/striper fishing on a charter boat on Monday. :)

Have a happy 4th!
dan

#5 ·
shocleader

To answer your a 4 oz lure question . Yes I would definately use a shock leader otherwise your lure may end up offshore in the atlantic. 9 to 15 feet . The rule is wrapp it around the reel 4 rimes. Shock leaders should be 10 pounds per ounce your casting

There is a shock leader knot on the web site http://www.stripers247.com/shock-leader-knot.php

#6 ·
When using braid I tie the line directly to the lure with a palomar knot.
It is a little awkward but you wont lose any lures casting < three ounces.
The correct way is to use a mono or flourocarbon leader with a loop knot or swivel on the business end.

#8 ·
Zim this one here is the albright. Its tough in the dark. Its the one I usually use for mono to mono.

The overhand granny knot with a uni is easier for braid to mono. http://stripers247.com/shockleader2.htm
The shock leader would have to wrap around the reel at least 4 wraps just like if it was mono. But you would be sacrificing some casting distance for overall strength. A necessity with heavier terminal hardware.

#9 ·
you notice on the animation that you wind the braid back towards the begining of the loop. instead you put the braid through and start winding away in the opposite direction. ten times (or more). then wind it back towards the begining making sure yo wind over each twist individually so's it looks like XXXXXXXXO---- and feed the braid out of the loop the same way you came in, if your lines do not look like the above XXXXXXXXO---- then it won't be 100%. tightening is tricky and have to make sure the winds/loops do not overlap upon tightening. they should be uniform and i cannot stress enough the importance of this proceedure. i've had a huge fish bust a 30lb shock leader and this knot came back to me in tact, still tied.i do not have an animation for this but it is called the "Crazy Alberto" modified albright. Alberto Knie "as far as i know" introduced this method. i change it every so often but i've had one tied for a month and no break-off,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.