Winter Baseball Hot Stove 2007 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Sports Bar
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Sports Bar Sports talk. Football / Baseball / Hockey / Basketball / Boxing / Nascar / Golf / Etc. Fantasy Sports!

Old 10-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Winter baseball Hot Stove

Bob Klapish of the NY Post reports that the Mets will continue to make a strong bid for the Red Sox to trade Manny Ramirez.
The Sox are interested in Carlos Beltran as a replacement centerfielder for the impending departure of Jonny Damon to the Yankees who is reportedly seeking a Scott Boras brokered 5 year deal.
"We know what Manny and David can do, but I make them look good. And they make me look good".
The Sox would be looking hard at Lance Berkman as a replacement for Manny in left field.
Interest has also lessened for the free agent services of Brad Lidge due to his Braden Looper like outings in the Fall classic.

The top 25 free Agents for 2006
Position Players
1. Lance Berkman
With a career on-base percentage of .416, he's been an offensive machine the last four years in Houston. Averaging 32 home runs and 113 RBIs since 2001, Berkman is a better offensive version of Magglio Ordo?ez. Considering that Berkman signed a one-year $10.5-million deal to avoid arbitration, he should land a comparable contract with another solid season in 2005.
Hideki Matsui (松井 秀喜 Matsui Hideki
Godzilla stays put.
Carlos Lee
Quitely putting up numbers
Johnny Damon
Damon had stated publicly last year that he wants to finish up his career in Boston. At the same time, the Yankees will be looking for a center fielder younger than Bernie Williams
Paul Kanerko
After resurection year with the White Sox. He probably stays put.
Bret Boone
Will the real Bret Boone please stand up? now that his name has been publicly associated with steroids
Erubiel Durazo
Samy Sosa
Almost no interest at all.
Moises Alou
Ramon Henandez
Decent backstop with power when healthy.
Benjie Molina
Exceptional defensive catcher. Mets most interested.
Randy Winn
Lukewarm interest. Speed
Nomar Garciaparra
Pitchers
Jason Schmidt
One of the top 5 in baseball
Tim Hudson
A.J. Burnett
Of all the players on this list, Burnett has the best upside. He'll be 29 by Opening Day 2006 and could be one of the game's premiere power pitchers. However, he's never had an injury-free season and has started just 23 games over the last two years. If he's healthy and can maintain his strike out rate of nine per nine innings, expect the boys from Boston and New York to woo A.J. Burnett until he's sick of steak dinners, limo rides, and visits from Derek Jeter, Curt Schilling, and everyone in between.
Bob Wickman
Indians Closer
Kevin Millwood
Kevin Millwood's name has appeared on everyone's list of free agent pitchers for the past few seasons, and every year, he's been a disappointment. It's becoming more and more obvious that he's break-out season of 1999 may just have been a fluke. He struggled last year, giving up more hits than innings pitched for the first time since 2000. His 4.85 ERA was inflated due to the tight new park in Philadelphia, but even his park-adjusted ERA was a career high. If Millwood doesn't show some more consistency, he may just end up signing one-year, $7-million deals until he retires.
B.J. Ryan
Future Star and Baltimores present closer
Estaban Louisa
Marked interest
Matt Morris
Teams will be very wary to approach him.
Billy Wagner
Trevor Hoffman
Still plenty of interest despite injury bug
Todd Jones
Has the stuff to close
Octavio Dotel
Everyones favorite under achiever
Joe Mays
Twins cannot affords to lose him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 02:49 AM

Is it too early to look at next years free agent list? I think not.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Paul Byrd, RHP
Jason Christiansen, LHP (x)
Bengie Molina, C
Tim Salmon, OF
Jarrod Washburn, LHP
Baltimore Orioles
Eli Marrero, OF
Rafael Palmeiro, 1B
B.J. Ryan, LHP
Sammy Sosa, OF (x)
B.J. Surhoff, OF
Boston Red Sox
Johnny Damon, OF
Tony Graffanino, 2B
Matt Mantei, RHP
Kevin Millar, 1B
Bill Mueller, 3B
Mike Timlin, RHP
John Olerud, 1B
Mike Myers, RHP
Mike Stanton, LHP
Chicago White Sox
Carl Everett, OF
Paul Konerko, 1B
Cliff Politte, RHP (x)
Frank Thomas, dh
Cleveland Indians
Jose Hernandez, 2B
Kevin Millwood, RHP
Bob Wickman, RHP
Detroit Tigers
Bobby Higginson, OF
Jason Johnson, RHP
Fernando Vina, 2B
Jamie Walker, RHP (x)
Rondell White, OF
Dmitri Young, 1B
Kansas City Royals
Brian Anderson, LHP
Jose Lima, RHP
Eli Marrero, OF
Matt Stairs, OF
Scott Sullivan, RHP (x)
Minnesota Twins
Joe Mays, RHP
New York Yankees
Kevin Brown, RHP
John Flaherty, C
Tom Gordon, RHP
Tino Martinez, 1B (x)
Felix Rodriguez, RHP
Rey Sanchez, 2B
Ruben Sierra, OF
Bernie Williams, OF
Al Leiter, LHP
Hideki Matsui, OF
Alan Embree, LHP
Oakland Athletics
Octavio Dotel, RHP
Erubiel Durazo, 1B
Scott Hatteberg, 1B (x)
Jay Payton, OF
Ricardo Rincon, LHP
Seattle Mariners
Shigetoshi Hasegawa, RHP
Jamie Moyer, LHP
Pokey Reese, 2B (x)
Dan Wilson, C;
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Charles Johnson, C
Alex Gonzalez, SS
Travis Lee, 1B
Eduardo Perez, 1B
Danys Baez, RHP
Texas Rangers
Sandy Alomar Jr, C
Doug Brocail, RHP
Richard Hidalgo, OF
Kenny Rogers, LHP
Tristen Stegman, RHP
Steve Karsay, RHP (x)
Toronto Blue Jays
Gregg Zaun, C (x)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NATIONAL LEAGUE

Arizona Diamondbacks
Royce Clayton, SS
Matt Herges, RHP
Shawn Estes, LHP
Kerry Ligtenberg, RHP
Tim Worrell, RHP
Atlanta Braves
Kyle Farnsworth, RHP
Julio Franco, 1B
Rafael Furcal, SS
Todd Hollandsworth, OF
Brian Jordan, OF
Tom Martin, LHP
Raul Mondesi, OF
Eddie Perez, C
Jay Powell, RHP
John Thomson, RHP (x)
Gabe White, LHP
Chicago Cubs
Jeromy Burnitz, OF (m)
Nomar Garciaparra, SS
Neifi Perez, SS
Mike Remlinger, LHP
Glendon Rusch, LHP (y)
Todd Walker, 2B (x)
Cincinnati Reds
Jason LaRue, C
Ramon Ortiz, RHP
Joe Randa, 3B
David Weathers, RHP (x)
Colorado Rockies
Desi Relaford, 2B
Florida Marlins
Antonio Alfonseca, RHP (x)
A.J. Burnett, RHP
Jeff Conine, OF
Damion Easley, 2B
Todd Jones, RHP
Jim Mecir, RHP
Guillermo Mota, RHP
Juan Pierre, OF
Ismael Valdez, RHP
Houston Astros
Brad Ausmus, C
Roger Clemens, RHP
John Franco, LHP
Orlando Palmeiro, OF
Jose Vizcaino, SS
Los Angeles Dodgers
Paul Bako, C
Elmer Dessens, RHP (m)
Darren Dreifort, RHP
Jose Valentin, 3B
Jeff Weaver, RHP
Jose Cruz Jr, OF
Milwaukee Brewers
Ricky Bottalico, RHP
Wes Helms, 1B
Carlos Lee, OF (x)
New York Mets
Miguel Cairo, 2B
Mike DeJean, RHP
Tom Glavine, LHP (x)
Felix Heredia, LHP (x)
Braden Looper, RHP (x)
Doug Mientkiewicz, 1B (x)
Mike Piazza, C
Benito Santiago, C
Steve Trachsel, RHP (x)
Philadelphia Phillies
Terry Adams, RHP
Kenny Lofton, OF
Ramon Martinez, 1B
Todd Pratt, C
Michael Tucker, OF
Ugueth Urbina, RHP
Billy Wagner, LHP
Pittsburgh Pirates
Jose Mesa, RHP (x)
Mark Redman, LHP (m)
Rick White, RHP
St. Louis Cardinals
Roger Cedeno, OF
Einar Diaz, C
Cal Eldred, RHP
Mark Grudzielanek, 2B
John Mabry, OF
Matt Morris, RHP
Mark Mulder, LHP (x)
Al Reyes, RHP
Reggie Sanders, OF
Jeff Suppan, RHP (x)
Julian Tavarez, RHP
Larry Walker, OF
San Diego Padres
Pedro Astacio, RHP
Geoff Blum, 3B
Jeff Cirillo, 3B (x)
Brian Giles, OF
Chris Hammond, LHP
Ramon Hernandez, C
Trevor Hoffman, RHP
Terrence Long, OF
Mark Loretta, 2B (x)
Paul Quantrill, RHP
Dennys Reyes, LHP
Dave Roberts, OF
Rudy Seanez, RHP
Mark Sweeney, OF
Woody Williams, RHP (x)
Eric Young, OF (x)
San Francisco Giants
Moises Alou, OF (y)
Deivi Cruz, SS
Ray Durham, 2B (y)
Scott Eyre, LHP
Marquis Grissom, OF
Latroy Hawkins, RHP (x)
Kirk Rueter, LHP
Jason Schmidt, RHP (x)
J.T. Snow, 1B
Brett Tomko, RHP
Randy Winn, OF
Washington Nationals
Preston Wilson, OF
Wil Cordero, OF
Jose Guillen, OF (x)
Esteban Loaiza, RHP
Antonio Osuna, RHP

Based only on players currently under a contract through the 2005 season.

(x) = club option for 2006
(m) = mutual option for 2006
(y) = player option for 2006
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Wow, you have been doping some homework!!! guess it's been to $hi++y to fish! I cant see Damon going to the Yankeeys, both sides would lose, Damon would have to look,dress and act like some other than a cave man, and the yanks dont need to trade one weak arm for another, I think he leaves Boston but stays away from NY (although they are the only other team that can afford him)

I think that Manny stays, the Mets arnt going to give up Beltran so who wants him?????

Godzilla is an awesome player, I cant see the Yanks letting him slip away

Everyone needs pitching..this ought to be interesting..... if ...New York and Boston get off their duffs and sign their GM's!
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 AM

Its actually perfect overcast sh**tty to fish Rocc. i just have too many doctor bs things this week and Im feelin crappy as well. Ill try to make a trip in between the 50 plus expected gusts. I dunno.

I agree with you on Damon. The Yankees would be nuts. Although he adds obp and speed. The rumor is probably being perpetuated by Borus.
But the mets would shop Beltran. He had a sub par year in a too big for him ballpark. I would make that deal in a second. Beltran for Manny or keep Beltran and make a hard push for Berkman to play left.
But if I were the mets I would shop Cliff Floyd and Cameron. Trade Cammie to the Yankmees for Robinson Canoe and see what they come up with for Floyyd. The hot stove league is starting right here. :)

Oh Btw the Yankees resigned cashman. He likes Georgies checks too much to leave.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:34 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

It's pretty snotty here now, serious wind gusts, sideways rain... It seems like it was over so sudden..

Hope you feel better soon,you guys should have fish for another month or so...

That wouldnt be unlike Boras to do something like that....he's a real piece of work!

I'd trade Manny for Beltran, no problem,I didnt think the Mets would give up on him so quick.... he'd go nuts in Fenway!

The local sports talk radio said on my way in that niether Cashman or Epstien were signed, but both GM's wernt talking, Stienbrenner would be nuts to let him go, what has he done besides win, what 3 world championchips! theo has done a good Job for the 'sox,for the "chump change" he's looking for the 'sox brass signed scrap heap pitchers for!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Wow Jim, you have definately been doing some homework. I would love to see the Sox get rid of Graffinino and Mueller. They've got Olerud and I would definately like to see more of John. I'm just not real impressed with Graffinino. Hopefully, We don't see Manny go anywhere. I don't think we will but it's a wild sport. I think the BoSox definately need to do some picking up in their bullpen area.
I don't see Matsui going anywhere either for the Yanks. He's just to good.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Why would you want to get rid of Graffanino or Mueller????

Graffanino can play any infield posision, with out his contributions down the stretch the 'sox dont even get into the post season,Renteria is the one that needs to go...along with his outlandish salary, 30 plus errors and weak bat,although Mueller is getting older he is only one season removed from a batting title, he is one of their better clutch hitters and plays a solid third base... I'd like to see him in a 1 year contract until some of the AA and AAA kids get up here...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Veteran

I don't get to watch as many games as yall but the games I did get to see down here, neither one of them really ever came thru when they needed it the most. I just think you have a great player in Olerud why pay double salaries for the both of them. You could use that money to strengthen your bullpen a little.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM

All 3 infield guys are worth keeping. although Graff wouldnt be my starter. Renteria was a great player two years ago. he had a miserable year in the AL. I wouldnt give up on him but a change of scenery would serve him well. Like say Florida or Anaheim. Mueller hits 300 in his sleep.
Anyone want Kaz matsui??
Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Jim, your right about Retaria,look at the season A-Rod had the first season with the yanks.....peeeeyew! but last year he returned true to form....

I dont know alot about Kaz, so I cant say..... we need some serious help pitching, I've given up on Foulk, he seems to have s slight 'tude problem, I think all the kids except for Pappelbon will go back to the minors,at least to start the season....

Joe, the only problem with "Older-dude" is his age,I'm afraid the constant grind of every day play would put him on the DL for good...he is a terrific platoon guy and good defensive replacement....

Speaking of comings and goings.... Millar has to go... he's a big clown and waste of a roster spot...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM

The mets outbid all the other ML teams for Kaz's services. He is like a shortstop legend in japan. Only trouble is he was brutal defensively. Some blame it on the carpets he played on in Japan. all artificial. Over here he got grass and looked terrible at times and brilliant at others. He has a swing like Ichiro's Very good balance into the swing. cept he's a sucker for a slider in the dirt and strikes out too much. He has a little pop in his bat. Very servicable but not the superstar the mets were hoping for. In fact they moved him to second base and Miguel Cairo beat him out of a job. Then he got hurt and played when Cairo got cold. His numbers were so so.
Kazuo Matsui 2B 松井 秀喜
New York Mets 114 Games 460 At bats 65 runs scored 125 hits 7 Hrs 44 RBI's 97 Strike outs 14 Stolen Bases 3 CS .331 OBP .272 Batting Average
New York Mets 87 Games 267 At bats 31 runs scored 68 hits 9 Hrs 24 RBI's 43 Strike outs 6 Stolen Bases 1 CS .300 OBP .255 Batting Average
New York Mets
Career Totals 201 727 96 193 41 6 10 68 276 54 140 20 4 .320 .380 .265

Fielding Stats:
In 108 games at shortstop he made 23 errors and turned 65 double plays with a feilding percentage of 956
71 games at second base he had 9 errors and turned 32 double plays (with Reyes) for a respectable .970 fielding %
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM

David Wrights bare handed catch
Old 10-26-2005, 06:31 PM

Newsdays reporting that Cashman has agreed to a 7 million 5 year deal to stay on as Yankee GM.

Last call for the stros tonight. Lets see if anyone shows up besides Berkman.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:43 AM

Cashman stays for 3 years at 5.5 mill. Theo walks on the sox. sounds like an ego thing with Larry Luchinno.

Epstein will continue working for a few days to assist in the transition and prepare for the offseason. The Boston Herald, which first reported the news on its Web site, said the Yale graduate has told associates that he might leave baseball, or at least take a year off.
The Dodgers, Phillies and Devil Rays have GM openings, but none has a $120 million payroll to match the one Epstein was given in Boston.
Once the youngest GM in baseball history and still the youngest to assemble a World Series champion, Epstein was reportedly offered about $1.5 million a year for a three-year extension. That was quadruple his previous salary but still short of the $2.5 million the Red Sox offered Oakland?s Billy Beane in 2002 before hiring Epstein.
But even after the money was settled, the negotiations turned into a fierce and Freudian standoff between the boy GM and the mentor who nurtured him from an intern to a World Series champion. By leaving, Epstein breaks a longtime link with Red Sox president Larry Lucchino, who hired him as a Baltimore Orioles intern and brought him to San Diego and then Boston.
The Herald said Epstein went through ?agonizing soul-searching? over office politics and his relationship with his boss. Published reports that contained inside information about their relationship, ?slanted too much in Lucchino?s favor,? helped convince Epstein there had been a breach of trust, the Herald said.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Rumor has it that the Mets are looking at Rafael Furcal to play second base. Furcal played 31 games as a second baseman his rookie year, so it won't be completely alien to him like it was to Matsui. He's reportedly has shown interest towards playign second base for the Mets. It's an interesting idea and would give the Mets areguably the fastest line-up in the majors with the top six batetrs most likely being Furcal, Reyes, Beltran, Floyd, Wright and Cameron. Three of which have had over 40 stolen base seasons (Cameron had multiple 30+, Floyd has had multiple 20+ and Wright in his first full season swiped 17, more than Cameron and Floyd in their first full season) then allt he Mets need to do is sign a high-end starter and a closer and maybe another catcher and second basemen?