"New" winter project planning? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 03-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: "New" winter project planning?

I guess I have to start somewhere.
  1. These may sound like dumb questions but how do you bend and cut the wire for the rear hook on the torpedo swimmer?
  2. Would you use a treble or a single siwash on the rear.
  3. What kind of glue is used for the weight and the grommets. regular wood glue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	restoredplug.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	901   Click image for larger version

Name:	mossoswimmerkit.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	902  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
LunkHead

Uh-Oh, Jim's got it too......the plug building bug.
Question #1. I usually use a pair of needle nosed pliers with round tips, a pair of regular pliers, and a vise....put nose loop in vise (with plug on it), bend the wire 45 degrees down, then bend the loop up and around untill the tail of the wire points down. At this point, grab the loop with the regular pliers and the free end of the wire with the needlenose, and begin wrapping the wire around itself till you are up against the back of the plug....go as far as you can go, tighter is better than looser. Below is an exaggerated picture of tail loop wraps. Where the arrow points to, wrap it as far as you can, these last loops tension the wire to hold all the pieces together, and keep the wire from spinning in the plug.
Question #2. I use siwash with some bucktail tied on.....1 treble is enough chances to poke holes in myself.
Question #3. I use 2 part epoxy for the weights, and I seal the entire lure with epoxy after I have the wire done. I'm working on 3 of those kits right now Jim, my basic order of operations is:
1. Fit all pieces together as a test fit, do any trimming as required to get the fit I want....an example is to fit the lip into the slot, and make sure it fits all the way against the face of the plug....the bend in the lip is round, and the end of the slot is square, I sand or file the square corner off till the lip sits all the against the face of the plug. I had one plug that needed the slot cut deeper, a hacksaw blade did that.
2 After all the parts fit, seal the wood with something. I use a 60/40 mixture of boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits, dip the plug under for 2 minutes, remove and wipe dry, dispose of all rags OUTSIDE somewhere, they may spontaneously combust as they dry (linseed oil). Let plugs dry completely (several days)
3 Lightly sand, and prime plug with a couple of coats of something, to fill and provide a good base for paint.
4 Lightly sand and apply some funky-ass paint in the color scheme of your choice. Make it scream "Eat Me"! Let dry till you can't stand it anymore.
5 Install grommets at front, rear, and belly, I usually epoxy the belly grommet in, the wire will hold the front and rear. Install the wire, (make sure to run wire thru swivel for belly hook!), make tail loop wraps tight enough to keep the wire from spinning in the plug.
6 Epoxy in the eyes. After the epoxy dries, mix up a larger batch of epoxy to clear coat the entire plug. Some guys like to clear the plug before the wire is done, I like to clear after the wire is in, I seal up both ends of the wire, around the lip, everywhere I can, to try to keep water out. A short piece of a drinking straw will keep epoxy away from the belly swivel. Coat the entire plug with epoxy (the general opinion is to use Devcon 2 ton 30 minute epoxy for this step, I can't find that so I use Loctite 30 minute....works OK). Flip the plug around several times till you're sure the epoxy has set up, then hang to dry.
7 Finally, hang some hooks on the bitch and go catch large!!!!!!!!

Name:	tailloops.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	903

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Last edited by Ed White; 03-13-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Changed #2
Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Good job explaining Ed, I do things a little differently, but most builders find their own way anyhow....

Heres a few pics of how I do my tail wraps....

For my method, you need a vise, a size 0 phillips and a pair of needle nose vise grips.....
after inserting the wire in the plug, clamp the tail end of the wire in the vice and give it a good tug to seat it, release it from the vise, bend it back to a 90 degree angle, clamp the screw driver in the vice, push the tail of the plug up tight to the grommet and against the wire, grab the wire and pull it around the screw driver, using your thumb to push the loop tight around the screw driver.

Release the vise and remove the screw driver from the loop, if you want a smaller loop, use the vise grips to tighten the size of the hole, clamp the loop in the vise (be careful not to scrape the paint) now clamp the vics grips tightly onto the wire and begin your wrap, unclamp and rotate the plug in the vise as you make each half turn, it only take a second, but the tail wrap will be VERY tight....

I use envirotex two part epoxy, and a spinner... it's all about what works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tail wrap.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 460.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	909  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i dont use a vise at all, just my hands and a pair of leatherman pliers.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks Guys. Nice directions.
Looks easy enough.
Can I just clear coat them without the paint?
The natural wood looks like a nice color.

I cant believe those flap tails are worth something.
I would have to use Albertos knot with super glue on them all and bring a 30.06 for the bluefish.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Yes you can clear coat over the bare wood, dont use those flap tails!!!! if ya hafta.. I made a few dupes this winter, I'll give ya a few... just dont use the original!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 PM

I have 6 or 7 more of those. And one of his big poppers.
They just need new hardware. (screws and hooks)
The flaptails are all intact.
The popper has the original hooks still in good condition.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds
Jim, we need to see better pictures before you touch any of those plugs. if those are original flaptails they're worth a few bucks.
And what is this one, does it have any markings ??
Suds do you still have the picture of the oreno style darter you were referring to? The attachment is lost.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM

no, it was one of your plugs
Old 03-14-2007, 11:29 PM

You were right about the flap tails they are worth something.