St. Croix rod selector - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Default St. Croix rod selector

St. Croix - Rod selector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 PM

Default St. Croix Triumph Rods

Has anyone on here used the St. Croix triumph rods? I am thinking of buying the 7' rod rated for 8-17 lb test and using a 4000 size reel loaded with Power Pro 20 lb test and using a 2 foot Flouro carbon leader. I plan on using this for tossing lures and eventually using out of my boat, (If i ever get it in the water.) I recently bought a Tsunami Five Star series, that is rated 1/2 -2 ounces , the same lure suggested for the St. Croix, but the Tsunami is stiffer and is rated 12-25 lb test line. It was 25 bucks. Thoughts on the St. Croix?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: St. Croix rod selector

Quote:
Has anyone on here used the St. Croix triumph rods?
I use the premier 2 to 6 for cut bait. Stiff rod. Very good quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: St. Croix Triumph Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbluehawk View Post
Has anyone on here used the St. Croix triumph rods? I am thinking of buying the 7' rod rated for 8-17 lb test and using a 4000 size reel loaded with Power Pro 20 lb test and using a 2 foot Flouro carbon leader. I plan on using this for tossing lures and eventually using out of my boat, (If i ever get it in the water.) I recently bought a Tsunami Five Star series, that is rated 1/2 -2 ounces , the same lure suggested for the St. Croix, but the Tsunami is stiffer and is rated 12-25 lb test line. It was 25 bucks. Thoughts on the St. Croix?
When you say a 4000 size reel do you mean like an ABU(casting)? If so you should know that the Triumph is only made as a spinning type rod. If you are using a spinning reel (or if it was me) I think you may like the Triumph. From folks I have talked and chatted with they say it's a great rod for the money. I have held the Triumph at a local store and even took it outside and whipped it around abit. I thought it was very nice and more than likely will be my choice for my next spinner. FYI also from what I hear you may want to stay away from the Lami Surf King, I have heard from quite a few folks that theirs had snapped even while using under rated conditions.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Official Member

I’ve had several St. Croix. Currently, I have a 10’ and 12’ ST. Croix Surf Triumph, Mod-Fast, Medium action. Without a doubt it is one of the best and quietly affordable. I’ve used a bunch of others even a custom or two. Got rid of them all. These two are the only ones I use or need to. Graphite, light weight is a pleasure to hold without weighting you down. I match the roods with somewhat inexpensive reels frequently purchased on Ebay. My reels get a lot of use and take a lot of abuse sand, saltwater so I toss them every 3-4 months. This cost about $40-$50 a year. Which is about what I pay to have a couple of those ”better, name brand” reels maintained. Try the St. Croix ,although they sometimes hard to get. A lot of backorder. Go online direct to the company. They’re very help and will work with you to get the right stick. Did I mention they also have a five year warranty with (get this) a trade in buy back plan. Good luck…handerson22
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Striper Hunter

any chance of updating that dead link?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 PM

St. Croix - Rod selector Saltwater
St. Croix - Rod selector Freshwater
St. Croix - Rod selector FlyRods
Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Official Member

I have tried many different rods over the years and have settled on the St Croix premier. Just bought another one the other day.
PS70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 8 - 14 3/8 - 3/4 4.6 5
paired with Shimano Stradic CI4 4000
using 30lb suffix
I have the same rod in legend series and it's not the same.
I have not tried the Triumph series, but I have feeling you'll be happier with the Premier for a little more $$.

Great rods....good luck