Striperholic Anonymous - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Striperholic Anonymous

I will post pics and log trips here . Feel free to chime in. I fish Upper bay to Watch Hill . And hope to do The Block this year. Mostly surfcasting, with a rare boat venture here n there with the bro in law. Looking forward to contributing useful info. Stop in often as I will update weekly or daily depending on patterns.
TIGHTY TIGHTY ......... SEE U IN THE SURF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Striperholic Anonymous

Fished outgoing tide near structure tonight in the upper bay. Whiping north winds with barely fifty degree water produced another skunk. Rumors of fish being caught on the coast but I haven't personally witnessed anything but a few shorties near local early bait runs in upper sections. I think some fish are lurking but not like numbers we have witnessed in the past. Although its extremely slow going I hope it gets better with some warmer temps and a more favorable wind directions . The thing to focus on is the lows They seem to barely break the 40s with a wind chill. Sucks!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Striper Hunter

I fished incoming tide in upper bay . Three high percentage spots that in recent past have produced well did not give up a fish . I saw a few boats out and a couple fishermen . Conditions were good , wind was blowing from the north but not too strong . Got chilly at high tide as it has been doing the last too weeks . Really wish the lows would stay above forty five . Until we get a decent stretch of warm south air . I think fishing will remain poor . I find my self saying over and over that it's gonna get good but this is the third week and I am still thinking the same thing. Frustrating start to our spring run .
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

I been fishing Soco heavy for the last two nights in the upcoming tide. I still have yet to catch a migratory fish. Both nights conditions were favorable although a lot of weeds in the waves from two nights of roughed up surf.
I am fishing a beach close to a popular b way and I can tell you that no fish are around. White water favorable winds and tides have not produced any bass for me so far this weekend . Both nights I did not witness any other fisherman .
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Today and tonight I fished upper bay . Talked to a lot of fisherman and there is scattered bait and scattered reports of fish being caught . Saw a few fish brought in drifting clam belly. Nothing to right home about, but some schoolies are present. I witness bait breaking the water for the first time this Spring. With bait comes stripers so the upper bay should light up if temps stay decent.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Just as I expected! In my last post I said that bait was breaking water in the
Upper bay and I was right. I fished the upper areas of Narragansett Bay and found some good schoolie action. At dead low tide, I caught fish on a natural colored bomber . A varied retrieve , stop and go and jerk just under surface produced aggressive hit after hit . It was my first decent action of the Spring and it couldn't have come at a better time . I think it's fair to say that upper Narragansett bay has good numbers of schoolies and our Spring run is happening . While I did not catch anything of size , these fish were inhaling my bomber and were very aggressive. Tonight was really a spirit lifter Now let's get some biggins and I will totally forget about our ridiculously slow start .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	19458  
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Official Member

WDD....sent you a PM
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Tonight is the first night out since last week Tuesday. I wanted to get away from the small fish to see if I could find some bigger fish. I fished from sun down to about 9:15. I threw a black slug go and a jig n plastic in a small boulder field on rte 1 . Conditions were good with slight sw wind and decent white water . Fish less but nice to get back out after a short break . I did not see another fisherman which comes as a surprise with the recent reports of good fishing. I am having a tough time catching fish on the south coast. So far I have been down there about four times and have not got a bite.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Striper Hunter

Just in from a first light upper bay outing . 15a Bomber continues to be the hot lure for me this Spring. A slow retrieve just under the surface with random jerks and stops are driving fish crazy . The bad news is that the fish are just very small. The biggest this morning was 24 which is hefty but still not good enough for this time of year. This same time last year I had multiple keepers from shore . Hoping some bigger fish start to move in. Still fish less on the south coast . Most of my outings there have been at night and I will remain doing that with bigger offerings(needles, darters, black sluggos) for better size fish.
On my way to my car I saw this trap in the water so I decided to pull it up . Any one know what kind of fish in here?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	20041  
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Mummichogs............
Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Pro Staff

Definitely a slow start to the season this year, but I'm expecting it to really pick up over the next two weeks.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Striper Hunter

I hit a couple of my upper bay haunts tonight. I continue to struggle down here. I have heard the fish are biting during daylight times and this could be true. What I can tell you is that for me, at night there have been zero fish in the surf. Every beach I have tried this season has resulted in skunks . Swimmers , buck tails , teasers, jigs n plastics and still no hits. A total different story in the upper bay, where some nights every cast turns up a fish or a hit(no keepers). Very frustrating! Considering the price of gas, I may stay in the upper bay until my ground source intelligence locates more consistent night action .The water has been extra weedy , and tough to fish without pulling loads of kelp off your line . Another bad soco outing for me :(
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Last night was a very frustrating night for the surfcaster. Conditions were calm , almost no wind and the water was like a sheet of glass. In the upper bay, I witnessed a ton of bait breaking the surface . I managed one small fish on a loaded bomber . Most of the breaks were out of casting range . I threw everything in the book from jigs to poppers and managed one lone schoolie. There were no other takers. Either the menhaden was chasing after itself or whatever was on them was extra finicky. It sucks when you know fish are there and they just want nothing to do with your offering . It's as if the fish are @ me . I did see lots of fisherman out which is a good sign of good fishing. I may switch up locations to see what if anything is going on down south . Tides are kinda weird but sometimes that's a good thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Tonight I fished the south shore. I managed on my second cast to land a hefty schoolie. After this fish I figured it would be a great sunset and I would land some fish . Boy was I wrong. I did not catch nothing else the rest of the outing. The surf was pretty angry and the wind was very strong. Weeds were a big problem and every cast kelp loaded the line . I tried everything in the book for over two hours . And finally I gave up. I do believe if conditions were slightly calmer I would have caught more numbers. The good news is my south shore slump is over . Bad news is I believe fish were around tonight but conditions were not favorable to present anything to em .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	98
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	20474  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Tonight in the upper bay schoolies fishing was hot. Every cast was either a fish or a swipe. Tide switched and everything shut off. The dinks were very aggressive and once again Bomber 15 a did the trick. It was chilly out there but worth it. No keepers but a few were close . No other fisherman were I was . Upper fishing is much better than the coast as of now.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	96
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	20546