Herring report - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Herring report

Quote:
Originally Posted by justneedthat1bite View Post
Either way its not illegal to throw a stoolie, just to net em. Ill certainly be scouting headwaters with a stoolie until I know it worth jiggin in the creeks. Gonna make a couple trips before the weekend just to see if I spot any. Problly on the nicer days when I can use the sun and warming temps to my advantage
YOU CAN USE A NET!!!!!
As long as it falls with-in these guide lines.

Taking of anadromous river herring with personal use nets
1- No person shall take anadromous river herring with a net within Hudson River Tributaries and Embayments.
2- No person shall take anadromous river herring from the Hudson River:
  • with more than one net when taking with a scap or dip net;
  • with a dip net exceeding 14 inches in diameter if it is round form or exceeding 13 inches by 13 inches if it is square form;
  • with a scap, or lift, net exceeding 16 square feet;
  • with a seine net exceeding 36 square feet; or
  • with a cast net exceeding 10 feet in diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 AM
absolute trophy hunter

Talking Re: Herring report

I Know, I use 4x4 scap nets on the river. You can't use those in the creeks, that's what I meant by headwaters. Can't net them but the headwaters of tidal creeks is the best bet to find em. A stoolie will def help confirm if there in if so, I start jiggin!!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Scrapped a few in poughkeepsie yesterday!!! Baitrunner a screaming!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Threw a couple different stoolies south of Saugerties today, also drowned a worm. No bass, and I couldn't see any herring although visibility was low. I tried casting along the shore and out while throwing the stoolie. Does anybody have any tips for a newb when it comes to luring herring to your net? It could be possible that they just weren't in my area but I know I'm not so skilled...yet.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
absolute trophy hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
Threw a couple different stoolies south of Saugerties today, also drowned a worm. No bass, and I couldn't see any herring although visibility was low. I tried casting along the shore and out while throwing the stoolie. Does anybody have any tips for a newb when it comes to luring herring to your net? It could be possible that they just weren't in my area but I know I'm not so skilled...yet.
Were you dip netting or scap netting? Scap nets are so much better specially when herring are tough to get. Most of my early herring I catch I don't usually see following. Between them hangin farther back and deeper, and the water just not being as clear I get most blind swiping. Instead of doin loops waitin to see one. I cast out repeatedly and run the stoolie straight to the net and do a pull everytime. You'd be amazed how many herring you'll catch that you never knew were there. Often ill even run the stoolie almost through the net when its tough and end up catching herring that were hangin a few feet back. White or chartruese stoolie is best in these water conditions.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
If they are around you'll def see them, some hump your stoolie all the way in LOL.
Getting them in the net takes some practice. Need to lure them into net, don't swipe at them with net. They are tough sometimes. Exspecially in dirty water.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
If they are around you'll def see them, some hump your stoolie all the way in LOL.
Getting them in the net takes some practice. Need to lure them into net, don't swipe at them with net. They are tough sometimes. Exspecially in dirty water.

tough?? those little bastards are fast!!! I miss more than I land. But always manage to get enough to fish with. Just takes me longer than some people. lol
Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Does anybody have better luck with Chartruese stoolie? I only have had luck with pearl or silver/black. I was told the Chartruese works better in murky water.....When the herring are here it isn't to hard to stoolie them. You'll be amazed at how many are actually out there!!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Striper Hunter

I perfer the chartruese most of the time and when that doesnt seem to be that effective i like the just straight white one.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

I been using bright green shads for past few years
Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
Ahhhhhh Yes !!
You were one of the locals i was waiting to see a post from

Hope to see some pics of linesiders by end of weekend.

- Thanks for info Schub.

BB
Don't have much time at the moment. I may get out a bit this weekend. If not, def next week. I'll update as always.

All time best: 42"
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp419 View Post
Does anybody have better luck with Chartruese stoolie? I only have had luck with pearl or silver/black. I was told the Chartruese works better in murky water.....When the herring are here it isn't to hard to stoolie them. You'll be amazed at how many are actually out there!!
I like to use chartruese sabiki rig colors... I try and have fun with it... Take an ultralight spinning rod, put a good amount of weight at the end of the sabiki, and I cast it. Crank it in kinda like you would a popper or even a spinner bait. The casting keeps it fun, you can cover a lot of water, and you can catch them 2 or 3 at a time and have a nice battle cranking them in!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM
First Mate

threw the stoolie out at HH park this afternoon. Water really rough, poor visibility. Didn't see any fishes. Try again this weekend.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Nothing in the Poestenkill today. water was high fast moving and muddy....
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Official Member

Down at the creek again this afternoon. Nothing. This is the latest I could remember in a long time.......
Closed Thread