Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Canada
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Canada Eastern Canada - Discussion & reports

Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Dry Fly Flinger

Default Bait

Help out the noobie Contest:

Winner will be harassed with a series of follow up questions each more annoying than the last. To enter simply answer the following:

I've been told that, for the most part, fresh cut bait is the answer to success in Fundy. How does one collect this fresh cut bait in it's many forms; clamming season is over I've been told, I have no boat and am forced to the shore. Mackerel are my only known source and I'll be trying out Mack heads soon enough (thnx Butcha). Is it legal to go clamming still? Any other sources in the Sackville/Moncton area people are willing to share with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Bait

Like I mentioned before keep your Mack. heads, and tinkers to use whole.The serious Striper guys in our area always have good sources for bait.A lot of guys net Gaspereau in the spring.If you have access to shad, they make good bait, as do small eels[12 inches or so].You can buy both soft shelled clams, and squid at most fish markets.Both work well.Squid is usually my choice of the two, stays on for hard casts, and doesn't get molested as bad by the bait fish.Go to Superstore and tell them you want whole squid, the ones that come in the small blue box.if they don't have them they can get them.Some guys cut them in four pieces.I use a whole one on a #10 circle, cause I like big baits, and don't want to fool with eels, and baitfish.You can also get your name in at a fish market for when the mack season starts, and get them to save you the heads.I've been doin this for a while, and I'll give buddy like $10 for 200 heads.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Dry Fly Flinger

I've heard, not sure if it was on this site or what, but is it not legal to use perch as bait? Occasionally I catch them when jigging for Mackerel and throw them back. I thought that cut up as a strip bait they might work for stripers but want to make sure that they are allowed first. Something about spiny fish? any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
First Mate

You don't want to use the Perch.Better off to use the Macks or buy the bait I've mentioned.