Under Pressure? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Illinois
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Under Pressure?

I live on a small (450 acre) lake in SW Illinois and the striper fishing in years past has been incredible since I've lived here. I attribute that to the fact that there was only one difinitive spot the stripers frequently (a submerged bridge in the center of the lake), an abundant amount of shad in the lake, and that only 2-3 people on the entire lake knew they were there and fished for them. However, in the last year the cat has been let out of the bag due to loose lips and a recently published picture of one of the anglers holding a 16 pounder in the lake newspaper. The bridge span under the water runs about 250 yards and while in the past, there may be one or two boats out there a day trolling or drifting for them, now there are 5-8 and the center of the lake is starting to look like a parking lot. My question is if this is enough stress to impact fishing considerbly or not? Since it's such a small lake and small area that this fish hold on year round, I have to imagine increasing the amount of those fishing for them by a factor of four could harm the striper population. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Under Pressure?

Dockside. I would think that would depend on a number of factors. How many fingerlings are stocked in there? etc etc. The state may encourage numbers to be taken out of the lake to keep a healthy balance of fish.

The pressure usually leads to taking bigger fish from the pool unless they are released again. There is no reproduction so they must be stocked.

Status of striped bass in Illinois

opens in a pdf file
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
LunkerSpunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
The pressure usually leads to taking bigger fish from the pool unless they are released again. There is no reproduction so they must be stocked.
they dont complete their lifecycle and reproduce in landlocked bodies of water?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM

The eggs need to float in current. It takes ~ 37 miles of river for them to spawn properly. More in the rainy seasons.
In lakes the eggs fall to the silt and suffocate.

They are known to reproduce in river systems like the ACE basin in the Carolinas.
Originally, there were just three strains of stripers in the Eastern part of the United States: the Hudson River, Chesapeake Bay and Apalachicola strains. The Jim Woodruff dam was built in 1957 and blocks the spawn in the Apalachicola. They still have the genetic imprint to migrate but are unable to reproduce without the necessary river current.
A flow velocity in the river of approximately one-foot per second is required to keep the eggs afloat. If the egg sinks to the bottom, its chances of hatching are reduced because the sediments reduce oxygen exchange between the egg and the surrounding water. The flow rates of the water are basically controlled by the upstream flows from dams. Egg mortality is high, especially in water temperatures above 70 F, but many eggs are laid to increase survival. Less than one percent of the eggs will survive the fist two months.
Only about a dozen rivers in the U.S. and 2 in Canada support successful spawning.
In a lake without these conditions the chance of survival is near zero. The eggs are released in the lakes for a false spawn. They must be constantly restocked.

Ref
http://www.spart5.k12.sc.us/techtrai...riped_bass.htm

More from the you had to ask file
Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 PM

The DNR does add about 20,000 stripers to the lake every year (at least they have the past two years that I know of) so that makes sense as far as not reproducing in the lake. My worry is that if this new crowd of fisherman keep all that they catch (some guys I know keep every striper they catch which could be up to eight a weekend and most of those fish are in the 4-9 pound range) that it will obviously become harder to catch nice size fish. I'm not sure how long it takes the 1 pounders they stock every year to get to that 4-16 pound size like those frequently taken out (actually almost exclusively as I've yet to find someone who catches anything under 3-4 pounds) so my worry is that over time with this amount of pressure, the fish landed will on average get smaller in size over time. This could just be me complaining about the fact that the secret is out and I should just get used to sharing the honey hole with a lot more anglers but at some point I think it needs to be addressed to ensure proper management. Even though it's a private lake community, the lake resources are managed by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and all the rules/regulations that come with that. However, I know of no one who has been checked for a valid fishing license or have been checked to make sure they aren't taking more than the limit allows and I know for sure that there are people taking more than the legal limit of stripers per day. I have a two year old son that will undoubtedly have the passion to fish like his father does and I want to make sure he has just as much of a chance to land a 10+ pound striper out of our lake as I currently enjoy.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:11 PM

By the way, thanks for the info StriperJim. This is really a great site and I appreciate the opportunity to share questions and answers with knowledgeable folks like yourself. Hope you have a great 4th of July.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
ISBA Exec

Wow!!!! If they are stocking 20,000 per year in a 450 acre lake, you shouldn't be concerned. Thats almost 45 fish per acre!

Here in Indiana, they stock at a rate of 4-13 fish per acre/year on some of the smaller lakes. They claim a 20% average survival rate on fingerlings.

So, lets do a little math. Applying a 20% survival rate to your lake....that would be 4000 fish per year that would make it to be caught by anglers. That would mean 10 fishermen would have to take out 400 fish in a years time to deplete the lake.

Yaz
Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Wow!!!! If they are stocking 20,000 per year in a 450 acre lake, you shouldn't be concerned. Thats almost 45 fish per acre!

Here in Indiana, they stock at a rate of 4-13 fish per acre/year on some of the smaller lakes. They claim a 20% average survival rate on fingerlings.

So, lets do a little math. Applying a 20% survival rate to your lake....that would be 4000 fish per year that would make it to be caught by anglers. That would mean 10 fishermen would have to take out 400 fish in a years time to deplete the lake.

Yaz
Yaz, I like those numbers, Dockside, where is this lake? ;)
LMJ
Old 07-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Roadtrip!!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfish View Post
Roadtrip!!!!!
Round trip to Illinois: $150 gas
Camp ground fees: $44
Gizz4 crankbaits: $50
Fishing Dockside's lake, and assessing the over population situation: PRICELESS!

LMJ
Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM

LMJ/YAZ/Panfish-

Thanks for the replies and chuckles. The lake I live on is Holiday Lake in Holiday Shores, IL (just NE of Edwardsville, IL). It's a private lake community so you'll have to come out w/ me on my boat if you want to get to em.' You bring the Gizz4's and show me how to fish them and you can have the back seat on the boat for a day!

Good to know that there's plenty of fish going in. I'm not sure if they put 20,000 in a year or every other year but I know it's been pretty frequently. The community pumps a lot of money into the fish population (Largemouth and Striper) each year.

I have noticed recently that I've caught some of the smaller yellow bass or what looks like small stripers with a yellow color. Aren't these bad? I thought I read something on how it's an invasive species and that they compete with striper/largemouth for food. The three or four that I've caught were no larger than 6 inches so I'm not sure if they get bigger than that or not.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 PM
ISBA Exec

Dockside,

I'd keep every one of those little pests you catch. You can tell the difference between the yellow bass and a juvi hybrid by looking at the tongue. The yellow bass does not have the distinctive tooth patch on the back of the tongue like the hyb's and stripers.

Yaz
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM

Yaz-

Thanks for the input. I doubt I'll need to check their tounges as they have a distinct color difference from the hybrids in the lake. I'll be sure to turn them all into turtle food if I catch any.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Wiper Guru

Somewhere in the world there is a place for yellow bass. The record in Indiana is under two pounds, I think, and if you ever ask anyone what they're good for, people usually say something to the effect that they grow big in Illinois and they know someone over there who eats them. I have a hard time imagining why they would be large in Illinois and not in Indiana, but I have often heard that story.
A few years back I watched two old guys in a nearby boat fishing for walleye and they'd keep catching yellow bass. Every time they would bang the bass on the gunnels, then toss it in the lake. Those guys had a trail of about fifty floating yellows that appeared to be flowing away from their boat. I'm not too sure they didn't have the right idea, but there have been slow days when I was delighted to catch a yellow bass in the middle of the afternoon while awaiting "magic hour."
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockside2082 View Post
LMJ/YAZ/Panfish-

Thanks for the replies and chuckles. The lake I live on is Holiday Lake in Holiday Shores, IL (just NE of Edwardsville, IL). It's a private lake community so you'll have to come out w/ me on my boat if you want to get to em.' You bring the Gizz4's and show me how to fish them and you can have the back seat on the boat for a day!

Good to know that there's plenty of fish going in. I'm not sure if they put 20,000 in a year or every other year but I know it's been pretty frequently. The community pumps a lot of money into the fish population (Largemouth and Striper) each year.

I have noticed recently that I've caught some of the smaller yellow bass or what looks like small stripers with a yellow color. Aren't these bad? I thought I read something on how it's an invasive species and that they compete with striper/largemouth for food. The three or four that I've caught were no larger than 6 inches so I'm not sure if they get bigger than that or not.
Dockside, I'd love to take you up on that boat seat, ask Yaz how easy that's been to make happen so far! ;)

As for yellow bass:
2007-07-09

This was a Yellow/White bass hybrid, caught in TN with the Gizz4, I'd say if they get any bigger than 6", EAT THEM!
LMJ