Fishing Report: A Very Enjoyable Time With Something Missing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Fishing Report: A Very Enjoyable Time With Something Missing?

Chesapeake Bay Fishing
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Trips Year Around
with Capt. Tom Hughes
443-690-3164 An ORVIS Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide 410-744-2351

A Very Enjoyable Time With Something Missing?

Finally 2 consecutive days, 1/19 & 1/20, with low winds forecasted for the CBBT. Bill Johnson and I headed down on Monday, 1/18/10 around 4 PM. We were talking about the new GPS/Sonar/Plotter units that are now on the market as we crossed over the Choptank River Bridge on Rt. 50 E. A scary thought went through my head…'did I leave my sonar unit at home'?

I pulled over and called my wife. “Hey baby, please go down the cellar and look on the laundry table for a gray fish finder with a white cover on it.” She then said the words I didn’t want to here, “I’ve got it.” To make a long story short I turned around and met her at the McDonald’s next to Anglers. She pulled in around 1 minute after I did saving us 2 hours of travel time. We stopped at the Red, Hot, and Blue for some outstanding ribs before hitting the road again.

Tue, 1/19/10
After a breakfast at Sting Ray’s Restaurant we got on the water. The seas were flat, but a cold 39 degrees. We fished the islands, tubes, pilings, with not a bite. My sonar unit showed nothing but water from top to bottom on all these structures and that's bad news. We didn’t even see any birds sitting on the rocks around the islands and that’s not a good sign since they weren't around working the water.

Around 11 AM we decided to cruse out on the Atlantic Ocean. We saw a few boats at Cape Henry trolling so up went the aerial with the VHF tuned on channel 68. No one was catching so we headed south checking productive structures as far south as the Golf Ball inside the 3 mile line. There was very little chatter on the VHF, with the exception of captains asking “where are the fish” or “I’m heading in”. No bait, no working birds, and water from top to bottom showing on my sonar confirmed that the stripers either went south to NC or offshore.

We went back to the CBBT and did more looking than fishing to find no bait or no fish before heading in. The seas stayed flat all day with very little wind.

Equipment: Light Spinning Tackle
Lures: Butterfly Jigs, 7” & 5” Bass Assassins, and Plastic Squids
Most Productive Technique: N/A
Day 1 = skunked (1st time since I started fishing the CBBT in 2002)

Wed, 1/20/10
The previous evening I placed a call to a good buddy who guides at the CBBT until the end of Feb each year. He told me that his clients had caught fish last Friday and Saturday on the pilings around the bend between the 3rd & 2nd Island. And that there were no stripers being caught on the Atlantic Ocean as far south a Corolla by the captains who were trolling.

We agreed on using smaller baits and fishing slower than yesterday and not to waist any time running the Ocean.

The wind was bucking the tide in the morning so we waited until 1PM before launching. We had to cross some rough seas to get on the Ocean side of the 4th Island. We were limited to fishing the rocks around the 4th Island and a few pilings before heading in.

Equipment: Light Spinning Tackle
Lures: Butterfly Jigs (stubby ones), 4” plastics on ¾ & 1 oz jigheads
Most Productive Technique: N/A
Day 2 = skunk is still aboard

Thr, 1/21/10
Traveled home and as I pulled my Twin Vee into the driveway my dogs when wild. I let them out and they checked my boat and didn’t find the skunk, but I know it’s somewhere aboard, at least until next time I go fishing. Or should I say, “next time I go catching”.

Tight Lines,
Capt. Tom Hughes
Lecture Series - Feb 6th & Feb 13th - Sign Up NOW

Chesapeake Bay Fishing
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Trips Year Around
with Capt. Tom Hughes
443-690-3164 An ORVIS Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide 410-744-2351
Sponsored Links
Advertisement