All hand tools... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Default All hand tools...

I though about buying a bunch of power tools to make some plugs but after some thought and budget issues I decided hand tools would be much more fun. I got a $200 gift certificate to home depot for xmas and picked up a few things for making furniture with all hand tools (i will use my power sander however, I am not a masochist), and I was wondering what I should put on my shopping list to make plugs without electricty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

a quality wood plane, wood rasps,a set of wood chisels, a coping saw and a back saw are helpfull,a small combination square will allow you to line up holes for weights,and through wires, if you dont own one a cordless drill of at least 14,but preferably 18 volts,buy one it will be a tremendous help, it beats a hand drill ... I recomend a wood workers vise as well to mount on a bench...it could save the skin on you knuckles and fingers.. with the above hand tools you can make some decent quality plugs..

good luck
Roc
Old 01-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Thank you

I do have a battery powered drill, good point.

Coping saw I would not have thought of! Looked at one and said I'll never need one of these...I guess I can think about putting in some crown molding, too. heh Picked up a back saw with a mitre box already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Veteran

Wanting all those handtools, you should go to some yard sales in the spring. Some of the best handtools I own came from yard sales. And I have a lot of them. Sometimes I buy them and don,t even know what it is, ha ha . If it looks interesting I buy it . I did some plugs years back, but for the time it takes I,ll stick with buying them. I like building rods better. But thats me.