Rod/reel help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Rod/reel help

Im thinking of purchasing a penn sargus6000 reel, and am looking for an 8-9 ft rod with good action to match with it.

Does anyone have feedback on this reel? Should I go with this reel, and what rod should I go with. I'll be shore and surf casting with both cut bait and plugs.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Rod/reel help

and do I need more line capacity? I am using braided line, want to go with at least 40lb. I know the reel seems like it might be a little heavy at over 20 oz. Could I get away with something like a penn fierce 4000, which is substantially lighter?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM

I've heard mixed reviews about the Pann Sargus reels, but the 6000 size is a good size for surfcasting. You want plenty of line capacity, quality gears, and a good drag. If you're used to freshwater gear, a 20oz reel will seem big and heavy at first, but when put on a 9-11' surfcasting rod it should balance well and you won't feel the weight that much.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Striper Hunter

Do you have a recommendation on another reel in the same price range and a rod to match?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Unfortunately, there's not really a reel out there in that price range that I'd feel very comfortable recommending, unless you happen to find a good used Penn 706 on fleabay or something, even those are usually going to go for a bit more. With reels, like many other things in life, you get what you pay for. In the long run you'll spend less money getting a quality reel to start with than getting a cheap reel that will only last you a season or two.

Since you say that you're wanting to fish both cut bait and plugs, I'd recommend the Shimano Baitrunner reel. They have a great reputation and will pull double duty (bait/plug) just fine.

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-...ing-reels.html

Pair it up with a 9 to 11 foot rod from Tica, Tsunami, or step up just a bit to the Lamiglas Surf King and you'll have a pretty decent combo.
http://www.tackledirect.com/lamiglas...surf-rods.html

Just make sure that whatever rod you choose is rated for the weight range you intend to use it for. Keep in mind that most rods which are heavy enough to throw bait well are not going to do so hot with a 1 to 2 ounce lure, and a rod which is light enough to throw small lures well is not going to be able to handle a big chunk of lead and half a bunker. Most folks who fish both bait and lures will eventually get a rod suited for each purpose. I have yet to find a rod that excels at both.

Just my 2 pennies. Your mileage may vary
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Striper Hunter

Jake, thanks for the help. Im taking your advice on an initial rod. I am going to go with 2 sets as suggested, a 3-6 or 2-8 oz rod for bait and a .5 or 1 to 3oz for casting.

The baitrunner reels look great, the dual drag is intriguing. Im gonna go the mid level route for a casting reel (maybe a penn battle series) and get the baitrunner in about a month for my bait pole.

Your help is much appreciated- Spent some time in bass pro yesterday and I wouldnt have known where to start.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Any time. For what it's worth, my go-to plugging rods are rated 1-3, but they each have a different feel. Different manufacturers rate rods differently, some 1-3 rods should really be rated more like 2-5 while others are pretty much right on or rated higher than they should be. The action makes a difference as well. I prefer a medium action rod for most standard sized striper lures.