Advice on beach fishing...? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Default Advice on beach fishing...?

I am heading up to Plum Island for a week at the end of the month. Plan on fishing the beach's, well for the week, was wondering without burning if someone can tell me north towards the Merrimack river or south toward Sandy Point would offer more or less opportunity's ? Of course i'm hoping for stripers but any catch is good as I release most anyways.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Advice on beach fishing...?

the more north the better.. the last week of this month is gonna be a scorcher. take sunblock brother and find cooler water or fish at night. ice in cooler with lots of water. can't help on places, just a heads up on the weather. have fun...

Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Got skunked on the south end of the island this morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
the more north the better.. the last week of this month is gonna be a scorcher. take sunblock brother and find cooler water or fish at night. ice in cooler with lots of water. can't help on places, just a heads up on the weather. have fun...

Is that why I haven't caught anything the last 2 weeks zim? I been hittin it hard, mostly at night off the beach floating worms but haven't had a stitch of luck lately. A few guys from NH have been up my way and have taken a couple big fish off the beach in Old Orchard the last week (44 and a 42") to go along with a handful of mid 20 to mid 30" fish as well, but it's been very sporadic. Frustration is starting to set-in, my numbers are down from this time last year. Gonna sit back and relax a bit, try to get out once a week as oppoed to every other day until this freakin weather cools down.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
First Mate

In checking the tides I might be able to catch both ends (if i can get away with it) but has anyone found incoming or outgoing to produce more ? Here in Ct it seems the outgoing has been better.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzman View Post
In checking the tides I might be able to catch both ends (if i can get away with it) but has anyone found incoming or outgoing to produce more ? Here in Ct it seems the outgoing has been better.
Hi brzman,
I've found that to be very location and structure specific. For example, I have one spot that is best on the incoming, but on the outgoing, a spot just around the bend is better. Figure out the direction the currents move and a given stage of the tide, look at how those currents are affected by the structure where you're fishing, and think about how a bass might use that current and structure to ambush its prey. When you do that some of the puzzle pieces will begin to fall together for you I think. One cannot say with accuracy that the outoing is best in MA, or that the incoming is best in MA. To much depends on the specific location and the structure where you happen to be standing to make blanket statements like that.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Your best fishing will be during the night.... where you fish will depend on whats available due to beach closures from the piping plover.. some areas were opened this week end... The main beach on the reservation has fish at all tides.... it all changes night to night, tide to tide.. it all depends of what pattern they happend to be folowing at the time.. PM me a few days before and I can put you closer to the fish so you can elimate wasted time... my schedule depending... I'll try and hook up with you and get you out in the boat for a night...

the river mouth is always a good bet, fish will show there at all ends of the tide and inbetween... low tide and the turn are your best bets..
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Official Member

Another good bet is to stop in at Surfland B&T on your way in. They are always very helpful.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
First Mate

Had a great week on Plum but can't say much for the fishing.
Tried throwing squid and clams.....nuttin
took out the surf rod and threw plugs and jigs.....nuttin

but there were plenty of flies to keep me moving.....