Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Tying Mono Lead to Lead Core

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Will a crazy alberto work?

#2 ·
From what I have read it seems that the lead core will break off at the knot. So while I do not know if the crazy alberto will work or not it seems that you should peel back about 6" of the outer dacron exposing the lead core and cut that portion of lead off. Here's an article I read that may explain it better

To attach lead core to mono you first remove a section of the lead wire from the braided Dacron outer to do this you expose a bit of the lead and then pull back the Dacron until you have exposed about 6" of the lead wire, you then break off the lead and pull back the Dacron. You now have approx 6" of Dacron with no lead core you can join the mono to the lead core with a back to back uni- knots or by inserting your mono line into the Dacron to take the place of the lead wire you then tie 3 overhand knots in the Dacron/mono and pull tight this will hold the mono in place and gives a "smoother" finish than the uni knot.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
there are several things you can do to tie the leader to the lead...

As Double runner said, you need to push the Dacron covering the lead back and cut off as much as needed to tie the knot...
1) you can tie the lead using an improved clinch knot to a wind on swivel.. this actually works pretty good, if your using lead, your leader needs to be short anyway.
2) you can use a nail knot, leave the lead in and tie the nail knot, a dab of super glue completes the knot..

3) this is the best solutiuon... strip back 2' of lead... use a length of floro carbon that is the same as the diameter of the lead core (including the Dacron jacket) take a bait knot and lightly tap it on the mono the length of the stripped lead, making a line of minute burs on the line, cut the end of the moo with a sharp knife at an angle, I like to wave a flame over the end, it helps prepare the cut for insertion... insert the mono into the Dacron working it in small increments as you smooth the Dacron over the mono.. the mono will not slip as the Dacron squeezes it when tension is applied.. the old Chinese finger trick... the end of the Dacron can be served with dental floss and a dab of super glue applied.. or you just apply the super glue.... if the leader is too thick step it down from from the butt section..

#5 ·
roc., i had a splicing tool Cortland makes with a little door/latch on it to splice Dacron but damned if i know where it is. before micron i used to splice the Dacron to attach backing to my spools. (only use micron for the amount of backing i need and hate it if i get big fish spooling me) the tool makes the splicing easier/ if i go on-line to bears den fly shop and they have em I'll pick a few up if anyone is interested in learning that particular trick,. (they make 2 sizes) the smallest one is the one i had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.