Boat Launches - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Default Boat Launches

It seems that more public use areas are being closed due to high popularity despite the Governerís recommendation to use them. Does anybody know if town boat launches will be open or if docks will be installed? I know marinas are mostly closed but the docks at ramps are intended to be a temporary tie off while you park. Itíll be chaotic and potentially dangerous without them. Hopefully some of you out there work for municipalities and know whatís up. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Boat Launches

As of yesterday docks are in at HH but not Schodack Island SP. Water was fairly clear but todays heavy rain may change that.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:58 PM
Senior Member Elite

This is going to become a sticky situation because today they released the official non essential businesses and recreational boating is now considered non essential...this is bullshit. Marina's are down at #13.

https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executiv...OmIQbHFUrzX0bg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the updates. I agree that thereís going to be some issues this year. I purposely fish alone so I can socially isolate. Besides that, using the gas pump or an atm machine is likely more hazardous than a random handrail at a marina. What about the thousands of essential workers that have to carry on... business as usual, but want to spend their free time on their boat? They canít? Itís going to be crazy with all the extra pressure on the few public ramps. Itís bad enough as it was. I hope you out there with bigger boats are still able to participate this year. Itíll be interesting to see if less boat traffic affects the catch rates.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Amen to that kirsh
Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
This is going to become a sticky situation because today they released the official non essential businesses and recreational boating is now considered non essential...this is bullshit. Marina's are down at #13.

https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executiv...OmIQbHFUrzX0bg

Wow "use of boat launches and marinas for recreational vessels is not considered essential"... so that means we can't even hand launch aluminum boats or kayaks from unmanned boat ramps? Shore fishing only this year?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Smooth move

So let me understand this fully.. boat launches are closed? When we go fishing to put food on the table? I though food was essential? What about all the trout stream parking lots that ppl park at... multiple cars.. multiple ppl.. help me understand? What’s next can’t go shoot a deer because they are social? this coronavirus can be transmitted to animals..
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Those kids with lemonade stands need to sell gas cans in the marinas this year.....

Did alot of fishing because I had a slip last year....... Catskill Bliss Marina, the grey 16ft Tracker deep V tiller arm rowboat with a canopy.

Wasn't my most successful striper season, but it was one my favorite..... Finally got a name for the boat. Gamblin's Cheaper. I go to Atlantic city a few times a year just to fish.......

Might be a good year to buy a 3hp outboard for the canoe........ A real good one......

Hudson's tide might be too much for pedal kayaks...... Atleast for my big butt.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Smooth move

Also, almost all privately owned campgrounds will be opening very soon... with multiple patrons congregating within a certain sq/ft of each other... being on a boat on open water is a factor? these politicians have no idea how upstate New York operates.. Cuomo’s only concern is about NYC he needs to open up launches Newburgh north end of story!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:55 PM
First Mate

I just read that launches are off limits. May 1st they might be available again. I guess we can thank the nyc people for congregating In the parks and setting the precedent for upstate. Iím not sure how being alone on your boat doesnít qualify as social distancing? I can see how a charter would violate the order but, not the average person. Now the banks of the Hudson are going to look like the Salmon River in October. Just remember, one fishing rod length apart (like the latest dec email update suggested) is better than being anchored 30í from shore and 200í away from the next boat! Ridiculous. Whatís worse boat launches and marinas or fast food restaurants serving thousands?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:00 AM
Official Member

Bullshit...I work nights delivering essentials to the City & Island, like so many others...I get a slip during striper season so I can finish up & jump on the boat for a couple hours of fishing..Now I need to go to the house, hook the boat & be elbow to elbow at the launch?? These people have their collective heads up their asses..I am responsible for my safety, let me take the risk at the uncrowded marina fishing with my Son..It's a powerplay..half the folks at the shop had the worst flu of their lives in Dec - Jan, & lots of folks I've talked to also..I didn't get it..Lucky me so far...Life is a calculated risk..We're watching our Country crash & burn for something that is bad, but shouldn't shut the whole operation down...IMHP, not a Doc, but an American...
Old 04-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Senior Member Elite

So for the record the Executive Order stated golf courses along with marinas and launches are not "Essential Businesses". That means that marinas and launches operating as a business can only provide service to law enforcement and commercial boating.

It doesn't mean that unattended launches are closed although I'm sure we will see some closed by whoever is responsible for them (town, county etc.). If anyone has a private launch or access to one they will be able to launch. Anyone with a small enough boat to launch by hand can launch as well.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Senior Member Elite

I sent a letter to my local assemblyman complaining about this crap. I did get a message from a friend that his buddy was called by the Coeyman's marina to come get his boat. BUT....think...if your boat gets in this week and they really close the marinas...than they cannot expect you to take them out...because the marina's are shut down.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I sent a letter to my local assemblyman complaining about this crap. I did get a message from a friend that his buddy was called by the Coeyman's marina to come get his boat. BUT....think...if your boat gets in this week and they really close the marinas...than they cannot expect you to take them out...because the marina's are shut down.
The state needs revenue. Theyíll probably slap a parking ticket on it if itís left there.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Striper Hunter

called west shore marina in marlboro ny, not open for striper season yet due to nys requirements