Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Alaskan yellow cedar

13K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
How do you guys feel about this wood? I'm Liking it alot it has very tight grains and is very dense for ceder.thumbsup.gif

#3 ·
It's the best of the best. Pretty much all I use.
Be sure to use a respirator and get or make a system to filter the air of the fine particulate. AYC dust, as well as most of the other cedars, can cause you to develop an allergic reaction over time.

#4 ·
Interesting. I worked for a lumber company for years and cut Cedar all day sometimes covered in saw dust without a mask.:smiliedoh: Im fine... I think. But seriously I hope I don't have no long terms affect from all the dust. But as for an allergic reaction I've never Had one. But thanks for the 411 Sudsy.
Building will begin shortly.

#5 ·
The first sign I had of any type of allergy was a itchy nose and eyes. I was turning a mess of blanks and it took a week for me to get over it, so I think it's the very fine dusts that caused my problem. Much finer than you would normally get sawing wood and making chips. It's turning and sanding on the lathe. It prompted me to change out the 30 micron bag for a 1 micron on the dust collector, and hook up a secondary duct in front of the tool rest. Now the fine dusts are being sucked in from both in front and behind the plug into a 1 micron bag. The 30 micron was doing a decent job, but just wasn't cutting it for the real fine dust. With those changes and an area dust collector made from a whole house squirrel cage fan and some good filters, no more itchy eyes or nose.

I also never had a problem with dust, so I'm not sure if it was the real fines that finally got to me, or if as you age, you become more sensitive. Either way, I figure keeping it out of my lungs is a good thing.

#10 ·
I bought a bunch of AYC last weekend in MA the guy had hundreds of blanks 2' x 1.5" 3 dollars per. As a matter of fact it was the best lumber yard I have been to in a long time. For those of you close to central MA it may be worth the trip. If interested PM me for the name of the place.

#11 ·
Jack, you got JACKED!
That lumberyard buy's it's stock from a distributor in Rhodie. They import 90% of all the AYC east of the Mississippi. Guy's from Joisey drive up here to buy from them.
Those blanks for me, would cost about $.13.
On another note, the GC on the project I'm on, misordered an unbelievable amount of AYC plank. It's mine all mine, for nadda. I'll bet it would take me a week to cut down into blanks, and I would end up with about 15,000 plug blanks.

#14 ·
Jack, you got JACKED!
That lumberyard buy's it's stock from a distributor in Rhodie. They import 90% of all the AYC east of the Mississippi. Guy's from Joisey drive up here to buy from them.
Those blanks for me, would cost about $.13.
I'm one of those Jersey guys. A bunch of us chip in and someone with a pickup truck makes the run.
Costs us about $1+/- a foot for 1 1/2" balusters

Gunny, how do you pull it off for 6 1/2 cents a foot ??
Count me in BIG TIME

#12 ·
Good Score for you Gunny! That is unbelievable. Too bad for the GC but great for you. I only bought 15 blanks and also bought some western red. I figured three 8" blanks for three bucks wasn't terrible but .13 is far better. That much wood will keep you busy for a long time.

#17 ·
I have been making phone calls to many lumber yards and mill shops in Northern NJ that I have delt with for some reasonable AYC with no luck(they don't even carry). I do need to make a few more calls as with a few of the yards I was aking for spindles. I have found some places but with the way they were selling it and shipping it's just not worth the price. I do also have family in MA so that area may not be out of the question. Or even if the price for the lumber is reasonable then shipping would not be out of the question.
If anyone would be willing to steer me in some direction I would greatly appreciate it in some way or another.

#21 ·
I buy everything in bulk... a finished plug costs me about $3.50...I can turn a plug in 3 minutes flat... less than 5 without a dupe... it's the finishing that takes the most time...but because i only make plugs for myself... my time and cost isn't a big deal..my only concern is to make the best plug i can.... and let the fish decide if they are any good...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.