belly grommets - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Lunker

Default Re: belly grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Personally I'm not a fan of belly grommets - Putting the third different metal in contact with the hook causes much more electrolysis / rust then you get from just hook and swivel contact.
old post ,great advice. found out the hard way this past season as i had a swivel open up while battling a fish.i posted a pic on the other site ,and i believe you responded to it noting that it was a brass swivel and should be junked and changed to a better quality swivel. another great tip,thanxs .ill never build another plug with anything else.good stuff on the sealing too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 AM
First Mate

I tired the epoxy seal following Sudsy's instructions. My epoxy was a little cool so I put the mixing cup into a pan of hot water to thin it out. The first pan of water was to hot and the epoxy began to set up to quick. My second attempt was with hot tap water and that worked fine. Overall, the process worked great. The epoxy soaked right into the plug. It was messy, but I was working over a huge sheet of cardboard. Dipping in BLO is definitely easier, but I was working on some plugs that I wanted to have the natural color of the wood grain stand out, so I thought the Epoxy seal route was a good one. I won't totally do away with BLO, but Epoxy sealing is definitely in the book of tricks learned.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
LunkHead

Everything Sudsy says about sealing with epoxy is true, it works great....the reasons I've switched:
One less potentially hazardous chemical in the garage....BLO rags will spontaneously combust if not properly disposed of every time.
I already use etex for a topcoat, so I have it.
It really hardens up the wood.
Once sanded, it makes a perfect base for the primer.

Rick, I've never needed to warm the etex, putting it onto a 180 degree plug will thin it out just fine. Disposable latex gloves are your friend.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
First Mate

i am going to give it a try... how long should i cook a plug for?

and what size container of etex do you guys buy i was looking at the 32 oz and wondering how long it would last me
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 AM
First Mate

with heat sealing do i need to spin my plugs or just hang them up some were to dry
Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 AM

You're removing all the excess so there's no reason to spin em
Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
First Mate

ok thanks a bunch ...
on tackle underground.com some one said they seal by mixing etex wit distilled alcohol i think like a 60 to 40 mixture and it goes on like water .... any body try this?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM

I haven't

Why don't you have a go and let us know how it works out.
If the wood gets as hard with the thinned Etex as it does with unthinned then it could be a really good thing. It might even be dippable, which would be huge !
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
First Mate

i will let you guys no i should be able to let you know by friday just got etex in the mail and should be working on plugs tomor... i just need distilled alcohol ... ill see what i can do
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
i just need distilled alcohol ... ill see what i can do
Which you can pick up cheap at any food store, drugstore or in bulk at a big box home improvement store (Home Depot, Loews........)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Also, before you thin the Etex, do one of the plugs with it so you have a benchmark to compare the ones with the thinned Etex to.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Also, before you thin the Etex, do one of the plugs with it so you have a benchmark to compare the ones with the thinned Etex to.
Rclark,,,

My vote is to go full strength, but if we are experimenting, and to do it at least half right, you should take at least 6 blanks that all weigh exactly the same. Treat 3 full strength, and 3 at reduced strength. After they are dry, reweigh on a accurate scale that goes out a couple zeros. Then take all 6 and let them soak in water for a couple days and remeasure. If the 3 treated at reduced strength absorb no more water that those at full strength, I'd say go with the reduced strength.

The reason for 3 of each is that 3 is the smallest number of samples you should use in any experiment. If 1 of the 3 sucked in alot and the other didn't, then you have a tie breaker.

But then again, I went full strength because it's obvious that Sudsy and others have had good luck with it and I didn't have the time or desire to reinvent what works right now.... Not that i didn't think about it and it does sound like a fun experiment ...

I think it would be a good experiment to run and report on. If you have a chemistry teacher at school, discuss the experiment with him/her. I bet they would be thrilled that one of the students is actually taking something that they teach and applying it. They probably won't allow you to take the etex into school unless you have MSDS sheets for it, but I'd suspect they are easy to get on line. If you can do it in school, maybe you will get a grade for the project. Your chemistry teacher probably has a scale that's accurate enough for the purpose.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM
First Mate

actualy have talked to my chem teacher about soft plastics i see him torrow so all ask him bout the etex da mix...not sure how thrilled he will be lets just say its not my best class but hell give me an answer so ill let you guys no how it goes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
actualy have talked to my chem teacher about soft plastics i see him torrow so all ask him bout the etex da mix...not sure how thrilled he will be lets just say its not my best class but hell give me an answer so ill let you guys no how it goes
The teacher might take this as an opportunity to turn chemistry around for you. There are books written on polymer impregnation. I knew a guy who was polymer impregnating cheap aluminum sand castings so they could be used in the semi-conductor business. I know another guy who spent years figuring out how to polymer impregnate materials that go up into space. BTW, when I talked to my rocket scientist buddy, he went on for a half hour about how we can polymer impregnate wood, and I really appreciate his input. Then I told him how Sudsy does it, and he said that should work.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Sudsy M Kelly - Super Genius, I like the sound of that.
Brilliant
Sheer Genius