Evening patterns for hybrid lake striper? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Evening patterns for hybrid lake striper?

Made another evening trip to Lake Anna for striper June 9 and came away empty handed. I hear the guides are tearing up the fish in the morning using live bait but I can't buy a bite in the evening. This is the 2nd trip in about a week with only one fish to show for it.

I'm fishing medium size live gizzard shad on the top, suspended and bottom, as well as a piece of cutbait on the bottom. I am fishing the general location (mid lake) where the guides say they are catching fish in the mornings. This is deep water/main channel areas with quick access to points and flats. I set up drifts across water of varying depths and watch my fishfinder as we drift across deep water, humps, ridges, shallows, etc. I'm seeing pods of baitfish and large arches so I assume fish are in the area. Last trip was almost a full moon with some clouds obscuring it. I'm fishing from about 6 PM until 9 or 10 PM - then I quit and go find some catfish so I don't wind up skunked.

I feel like I am putting the right bait out in areas of known striper concentrations (and I'm marking fish). I see a little topwater action but no large hits/swirls - sounds like small fish jumping. Wondering what I am doing wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Wiper Guru

If you are fishing for wipers, it is my understanding that they are difficult to catch after dark--period. If, however, you are fishing stripers as you state, I would give up on the live bait at night (at least that's what I would do in Indiana) and start throwing jointed Rapala Shad Raps, Hopkins spoons, and J5 Shad Raps. You could also try 4" curly tail grubs on white jigheads. Find areas that offer rocky areas for the baitfish to hide in. The stripers seem to like raiding those areas at night. They seem less inclined to chase shad once the sun sets.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Wiper Guru

Bump. So, Wasabi, did you find those night time wipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 PM

No. It is amazing how quickly the summer passes! I intended to spend a lot of time on this particular lake but somehow only made a few trips. I have done a lot of fishing, just not focused here as I thought.

Maybe I'll try some Fall fishing there