Enough screwing around! - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Great info,

Roccus, I see you went electric troll, looks by the picture to be 21 CC you have. I am looking to add trolling motor outboard transom mount or electric ?? 21 I/O walkaround?? Any help or info would be great, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've been using electric power to troll since the '70's, I just wear out the motors, I stopped buying expensive electics and spend $200 bucks every 2-3 years on a 40-50 lb thrust Minn-Kotta, the last one had three years on it so I replaced it...

My boat is only 18', but it is a barge! It doesnt take alot of motor to push a boat, any thing 40lbs of thrust and up will be sufficient, just keep in mind that a Walkaround will be much more affected by the wind
Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM

I like your thought on electric, thanks, I am offical shopping for electric!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

well put in a 11 hour hardcore day yesterday, I've never seen the water so dirty or so much debris floating in the river... As I understand it there are still quite a few boats still missing and presumed sunk somewhere in the river, there are docks and trees tied off in sevearal places up river, very dangerous to navigate, if you do so, do it with caution and keep your speed down...

I headed out at 5 AM going for cod, the tide was half gone and the water was dark brown loaded with debris, first stop, 5.5 miles out didnt look good, water was tea colored instedead of sea green, no bait and few fish and 65 degrees, the suppossed S/W wind was E N/E @ about 15 knots, not planning on going far I had less than 30 gallons of fuel in the boat, first stop produced a just legal haddock a short cod and haddock and a 3' dogfish!, I headed East another 4 miles to the "trench" and attempted to drift bait(clams) and jig on 230' of water in a screaming tide, for my trouble I got 2 short cod, a double on sculpins and a few cusk....
Not likeing the strenghting Easterlies and not having the fuel to go out farther I headed back inside for Macs, with less than Ideal conditions,lack of fuel and no chum (plus messed up water conditions) I decided to give up and work the river with plugs and soft plastics, I by passed the "circus" in the mouth and headed up river, I was rewarded with a slow pick of small fish (to about 10 lbs) no great shakes but it beat working, I concluded the trip up river at the bone zone or should I say the dead zone... at 4:00 we headed in and got the boat washed and gear stowed just as the rains and lightning started.......

We need several days of Westerlies to push all this mud and debris water seaward before all the fishing will improve....
Old 06-15-2006, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Geez Roc,
Sorry to hear about that........you know that just makes the good trips that much better........AND one of the things I love about this website is that people are honest about sh*tty trips and so forth. You don't have a bunch of yahoos talking about how they SLAM fish EVERY SINGLE TIME!.....I hate that

Anyway....I think we are going to be getting a whole string of SW wind starting tomorrow........I'm headed out at 4:30 am on Saturday.....
I'll try stripers before the sun gets all the way up and then hopefully move out for some Cod..
coffee.gif
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Thanks, but you have to take the bad with the good, I just love being out there.... I'll get 'em another day.... I could look at it as a grand slam, mutispecies day!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
First Mate

yup! I'm hoping for that on Saturday
Striper
Sea Bass
Cod

possibly a Blue
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

River water has cleaned up nicely since last Wednesday, the west wind has cleared the bay of the browm water, and the bay is once againg producing cod and haddock, Daybreak on Saturday found me headed for Jeffery's ledge for a few hours of fishing, we were back at the dock by noon with about 2 and a half dozen decent haddock and several cod to about 15 lbs.... once again seems like The Mac and Ipswich bay are ready for summer....
Old 06-19-2006, 09:17 AM

How's the boat running Roc?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:00 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Just as good as when I parked it, and it's still knows how to find a few fish....
Old 06-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah, after the issues I had early last summer with my 100 horse 1988 Merc stuttering at WOT, this year the motor has run flawlessly.

As I remember, we have the same outboard.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yes Tony, pretty much the same, mine is a 115, same motor, just ported a little differently...
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM

Maybe I'll rent a slip next to your boat Roc so your boat can teach my boat how to find the fish. :)

BTW, I've been using that Atom you made and was out early Sunday before sunrise off the beach in front of the Maine house. Almost every cast till about sunrise I was catching a striper. They were running between 15 and 28 inches. There was a guy about 50 yards down the beach that saw me and came over to see what I was using. The only topwater he had was a baby Zarraspook, stick/walking bait I use for LMB. He put it on and got into the same action I was in, except he didn't take a fish over 18 inches. My guess why was because your bait was about 3X the size of that baby spook. We had a blast until the sun came up and the fish turned off.