Live lining Macks - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-10-2006, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Default Live lining Macks

1) how?....is it through the mouth like how you live line an eel? Or behind the dorsal fin? If it's the latter if someone could explain that would be great!

2) when jigging for Macks how do you know they are around....should I be looking for birds?

Thanks guys!!
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I've always done a hook around the dorsal, 'specially with Alewives...I've been "Weak Beaked" on more than one occasion back when I used to hook em up through mouth lol. Learnt me lesson

I learned anutha lesson from Roc, with his Stinger-type rig....a circle through the mouth AND a circle around the dorsal.....and the hooks move to accomodate the size of the bait. Quite a rig, but I will allow him to elaborate more on it

Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Official Member

Johnny,

I got lucky the other day, and we caught a nice fish by trolling a live mac that we hooked through the upper jaw with a circle hook. Unfortunately, the cirlce concept was lost on my buddy, who got excited, grabbed the rod, and set the hook with passion. We ended up deep gut hooking the fish. What type of hook do you usually use? Also, when you let the mac out, do you engage the drag, and keep the line tight, or set the clicker on and let the bass take line when he takes the mac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Newt,
no method is fool proof, some fish will be gut hooked others will be lost, it;s part of the game, I rig a pair of 8/0 or 9/0 circle hooks on a 18" length of #50 floro carbon, the front hook is made to slide, I dont have a pictere here at my office of the rig but it is adjustable so I can use different size baits,I hook the front hook through the open mouth and up through the nostril, the second hook goes behind the dorsal...

In the future if you have a gut hooked fish just cut the line as close to the mouth as possibel, there is an exxelent chance the fish may survive, but on the otherhand fresh striped steaks on the grill, marrenated in lime juice, smeared with spicey mustad and coated with poppy seeds served with fresh asparagas and a cold brew is hard to beat!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Official Member

Roccus, thanks for the info. This is my first season with a live well so I don't have any experience live lining macs. We got lucky trolling one the other day, but let's say I'm drifting in the Mack on an incoming tide. I hook the mac, toss him out, and then what? Keep the main drag off so a bass can take line just like I were chunking bait?

I'm going to give it another try this weekend. The tide is perfect. Fish the outgoing in the morning...then run out and fill the live well, come back and fish the incoming with live macs...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I've always used balloons when fishing with live macks or herring. Tie a balloon on ya line 4 or 5 feet up and huck tha bait out. I've always just used a baitrunner reel, and let the fish move a few feet before reeling up the slack (if any) and pulling up on it. However I live mack fished with Roc's leverdrags with him last season, and it was a blast. It didnt take long before I was addicted to the leverdrag