NEW GUY in Scituate needs help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Default NEW GUY in Scituate needs help

Hey everyone!!

great site..i just read through the extensive information about all the different types of lures for striper fishing (good job).. i fish off the rocks in scituate mass, and i am wondering for the month of june what do people think is the best approach to catching good-sized stripers from shore? chunk bait vs. lures, etc?

any info would be helpful..and if you say depends on water temp, tides, season, etc. i really have no idea about any of this except that i fish during june in scituate off the shore. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 06:33 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I always fish out going. I don't do much bait, but have gotten some decent fish on bait.
If you fishing in rocks, you probadly want to stay on the surface, poppers will do. Try some of those Storm Shads, 4" 5" and 6" sizes at the beach. Try casting swimmers, 2oz is good. You want to get your plugs out there.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Veteran Elite

I'd say it depends on your comfort level throwing plugs,if you don't have much experience,but want to try grab couple and first learn what that one should swim like and throw them until they're effective.chunking is alot less teadious cast and wait for a strike.sometimes I run a chunking line and throw plugs while my chunk is soaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM

Welcome to our forum whitsapig.

A lot of us will fish 2 rods from the beach. I'll use chunk mackerel or clams on a baitrunner/liveliner reel, fishfinder rigged, and sand spiked. While that sits, I'll throw a lure of some type. I'm partial to top waters because I love to see/hear a striper bust the surface after the bait. I feel low light conditions are the best time to use top waters.

I also use an assortment of different colored and sized soft plastics like a sassy/storm shad or sluggo on a weighted jig-head or sometimes just a hook, especially with sluggos. And lastly, I'll use an assortment of medium/deep-diving lipped plugs in various colors/sizes (match the baitfish) for mid-water column and bottom/structure bouncing. Some people use hair-jigs as well for bottom bouncing from shore. But I haven't been too successful with jigs from shore...probably because I'm not fishing them properly.

With an assortment of those three types of lures, I've got the full water column covered.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my baitrunner/liveliner rod over there that I've been keeping an eye/ear on. When my baitrunner/liveliner rod gets hit, I simply grab it, rest my artificial rod in the spike, engage the fighting drag on the baitrunner/liveliner, and fish on, hopefully.

Be "shore" to read all the stickies in the appropriate forums for more detailed techniques and information.

Good luck and again welcome.

Tony
Old 06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I have caught decent fish while throwing half or whole herring on an 8/0 red circle hook from the rocks along the shore. But live eels have always produced the larger of the fish (overall). I have caught some decent ones in the low 20 pound range on wood plugs too, specifically Danny type plugs and Pencil Poppers. I prefer to fish the outgoing at pretty much all of my favorite shoreline spots, so I can follow the tide down, instead of being chased up the rocks by it lol. But there are some spots I will fish both tides, depending on how treacherous the trek is :)

Old 06-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Default another question

thanks guys for your adivce so far, i really appreciate it.. here is another question: am i more likely to catch a keeper-size striper using chunk bait or plugs? i have caught a deent number of schoolies using different kinds of plus, but never anything big..do you think using chunk bait such as mackerel would increase the chance of landing a biggie?

thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 06:03 PM
First Mate

which rocks are you fishing off? I stick to the river until about later in June. Then the Glades and Minot beach area are the best in my oppinion, then Cohasset harbor and The North tip of Humarock. Scituate harbor can be good too, but it's not very conistent. If you know anyone with a boat, head out to deeper water and over to race point as the summer sets in.

I'll be in the North river tonight at bridge st. or deamon's point with my new stipers247 hat on if your out fishing stop over and we can chat it up a bit.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Default nlarson

i usually fish down the glades or off minot beach. have caught a few schoolies but nothing big in the several times i have been out there this summer... still waiting for my first keeper EVER