Tuna fishing..... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Tuna fishing.....

how many of you would go tuna fishing....and is it worth the $ on the charters as far as catching something.....what are the chances to catch tuna....is it harder then striper/fluke?

i know tuna can grow from 200-1000lb's but have any of you gone hunting for these beasts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 01:27 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

HI. Welcome to the board.

I havent been tuna fishing for a few years. But yeah, its harder for most than locating and targeting stripers or flounder.

If you can find the right charter, go for it!

Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

SEPTEMBER IS REALLY THE TIME TO GO. YOU CAN GET 3 60-90LB BEASTS AND SELL EM AND GET BACK SOMEOF THE MONEY YOU SPEND AND COME HOME WITH SOME SERIOUS STEAKS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 AM

Great idea Zimno! I'll have to remember that for the next time I go charter fishing. Why didn't I ever think of that? :wtg:
Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 AM

If you have never been tuna fishing before, GO! If you enjoy fishing for big stripers, nothing will comfort yours ears more then the sound of that 50 wide reel screaming in pain and agony at the tug of a big tuna. For the price of a charter, look at it this way, to get your own boat and rigs, gas alone is 500 bucks, and each reel sets you back 450 dollars at least. For going out 3 or 4 times, go on tha charters! And yes, the steaks are great, if you enjoy striper, you will be spoiled if you catch a tuna, and even moreso for a mako. Offshore is a little bit more boring then striper, but when a fish hooks up, boy is it worth the money then!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
First Mate

tuna fishing is awesome
Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Veteran

who do you go with Yankee ,out of Fairhaven.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tuna.... they are the ultimate gamefish,but fishing for them is not always fun!

I did the canyon thing once, I HATED IT!!!!! The mates treated us like dopes,the ocean was rough, the sleeping quartes terrible, I stayed up for three days just to try and get some fish and avoid the foul smelling noisy sleeping quarters, I caught one albacore (the only one on the boat) and they butchered it before I even got a picture! The only decent fish that was caught was a large blackfin tuna, the rod got passed around between several people,none could budge the fish, i volenteerd but was told I was too small!!!! 10 days earlier I had fought and landed a 730lb bluefin on a friends boat.... anyway they finaly let me have a turn... the fish was gaffed 15 minutes latter!

I fish both school bluefin and giants, it is a game of patients and hard work,with lots of waiting in between.... but when the deal goes down man WHAT A RUSH!!!!

below is a pic of a 370lb blue fin taken near the Isle of shoals NH by Me, Capt. Dan and Pat last October aboard Dans boat the Double "D"

Old 06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Lunker

roc is this the one that the harem missed by minutes? (stupid bridge!)
if it was.....that was some SPECTACULAR sushi we had that night!
Old 06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Yes.... that would be the one!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:33 PM

Don't you need a Tuna license when using your own boat? I assume that tuna charters have a boat license. Hooking into a tuna has been a dream of mine. One of these days.....
Old 06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tonydb,
yes a fedral permit is required just to FISH for BFT,there are are several catorgories, each permit is issued to the boat,same goes for sharkin'

The party boat/charter boat holds the permit, these fish CANNOT be sold leagaly, only BFT over 73" with the proper fedral permit and state license can be sold.... An entirely different permit is needed to retain BFT UNDER 73" a boat holding this permit cannot sell their catch even if it is of the legal size(over 73") however if you catch a fish OVER 73" it cannot be retained... I do not know what the regulations are regarding a potential record.... I guess that I should research it... but the rules are quite complicated and unclear at times.....

That is the reason My boat holds one permit,while my friend's holds the other, if we want to target "schoolies" we fish my boat,if we want to target giants we fish in his....
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the info Roc. I didn't know the details, but I knew a permit/license was required. Didn't want people to get the wrong impression that they could just go out and catch them and sell them to the Japanese for $$$. The devil is in the details.

Just wondering, how close to shore do they (60-80 pounders) typically come where you fish? I've read stories where people have actually caught them casting from shore, but that's extremely rare. I know your boat isn't very big and I don't expect that you'd be able to run to the canyons, hence my question.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:09 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Both the large and small fish come in close,I've had a few reels striped within 3 miles of the beach while livelining Macs for bass, the "footballs" chase bait right into the wash on the beach,it realy depends on your location....
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Hmm. I didnt know that big tuna came in that close. Wierd.