Chunking set-up conventional vs. spinnning - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:38 PM

I've never used a 209 but from what I hear it's a nice reel. From what I've read it seem like it's a Sqidder with a levelwind. Gear ratio of 3-1. It's line capacity is similar to a Squidder at 320yds. of 20lb mono.

Out of the box it's probably a great trolling reel but if you want to cast it off the beach you should be sure it doesn't have the chromed steel spool - the inertia caused by the weight of that thing will make it extremely hard to handle on a cast. Your best bet would be to find an aluminum spool or if you can't find one, a plastic spool.

I'd put a few drops of 50 weight on the gears, I don't like grease when fishing off the sand as it has more of a propensity to attract and hold sand. The bearings should get cleaned with naptha and given a drop or two of oil. The weight of the oil depends on how educated your thumb is, whether or not it's been magged, in general how fast you want it to be. I use everything from 40 weight to 3in1 to pure silicone oil depending on what I want the reel to do. The thinner the oil the faster the reel and the harder it is to control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM

My bad.
If memory serves, the 109 and 209 series come with bushings not bearings (makes it more like a 200 Surfmaster than a 140 Squiddah). If that is the case I'd pick up a set of Newell teflon replacement bushings. You can score em on Ebay usually for under $10.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Veteran

The squidder reel is more shallow and wider Made for surf casting. I use it for trolling on my small rods, them and the 500 jigmasters have side plates that come right off. You can change spools in a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 06:14 PM

Default bushings

I checked the drag and it is still working very smoothly. Do I really need the teflon bushings? Also, do u think that if it's magged out that the spool will still move too quickly? I found an aluminum spool for 16.95 if I need it
http://www.4fishin.com/Penn%20Parts%20209.htm 29L-209 Spool, Aluminum.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: bushings

--Do I really need the teflon bushings?

No, but they add considerable distance and smoothness to the cast for a minimal investment.

--do u think that if it's magged out that the spool will still move too quickly?

The chromed steel spool is a heavy beast. You'll have to add an awful lot of magnets to control the inertia it creates. You're much better off with the aluminum spool. As an added bonus, with the aluminum spool, you don't have to deal with the spool corroding under the line as badly or as quickly.

$16.95 is a good price. I rarely find the aluminum spools for under $20.

If you really want to tweak it out and speed it up, track down the proper sized Newell replacement bars and base.