Licenses Now Required ! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Official Member

Angry Licenses Now Required !

If you fish for Stripers in the Hudson River south of the Troy dam and north of the Tappan Zee, you will need two fishing licenses.

This is a new regulation for this year!

For Stripers in this area you must have both a NYS Freshwater Fishing License as well as a Recreational Marine Fishing License.

Get the word out so none of us are caught by surprise and fined !

I am sure the fines will be more expensive than the licenses ($ 29. & $10 for resident annual)

From the DEC site (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31427.html)

License requirements

There is no longer an exemption to the requirement for a license to take fish from the Hudson River south of the Troy Barrier Dam at Troy. Anglers will need to have a fishing license when fishing the Hudson River. Depending on the specific location of the Hudson River fishing activities, and the specific species fished for, an angler may need to have a recreational marine fishing license, a freshwater fishing license or both licenses:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Licenses Now Required !

Isn't that a load of crap??? The state made sure they implemented this before the Feds could. I'll tell you this: If they ban the use of herring, I WON"T be buying ANY special fishing licenses!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
First Mate

so that would be 29 bucks for the regular fishing license and then another 10 bucks for the recreational marine fishin license......I guess it would be worth it..are the marine rec. licenses on sale yet ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Official Member

The Recreational Marine Licenses became available Oct. 1, 2009. They run Jan.1 - Dec 31.

From DEC (http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html)

Where can I purchase a recreational marine fishing license?

Recreational marine fishing licenses will be offered for sale as part of DEC's automated licensing system (DECALS) and will be available at all locations where hunting and fishing licenses are offered (most town clerks; many bait and tackle shops; sporting goods stores; DEC regional offices in Albany, Allegheny, Buffalo, Ray Brook, Stony Brook, and Watertown).

You can also purchase your licenses via telephone 1-86-NY-DECALS (1-866-933-2257) or online by visiting the DEC Internet Sporting License Sales page.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Out of State it amounts to 55 bucks to fish above the Tappan Zee Bridge.

$15 for the Marine and $40 for the freshwater license.
You think the state gets enough from us already. Empire pass ,4 wheel permits etc etc.

I paid the $15 last year and $15 for my girlfriend and it was only good for the 3 months. I should have pocketed the $30 bucks because they werent enforcing it anyhow.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Angry Re: Licenses Now Required !

we knew about this for about a month now. but what really gets me is that if call dec for the info it seems like they dont know their own regs. and it is like they keep giving u the old 2 step. I dont wanna know whats next but u can only guess.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
we knew about this for about a month now. but what really gets me is that if call dec for the info it seems like they dont know their own regs. and it is like they keep giving u the old 2 step. I dont wanna know whats next but u can only guess.
I was talking to my dad the other day and told him that these bastyards want more and more money yet they do almost NOTHING to check on the level of wildlife available to us! The whole reason that there is an ENCON is to manage the resources so that we as hunters and fishermen can use it and enjoy it. Just look at what happened with the shad. If ENCON had been doing it's job correctly, they would've noticed the drop in stocks YEARS ago and could have put better regs in place so we could still fish for them today, but WE CAN"T! I DON'T want herring to go the same route.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Lunker

Quote:
I paid the $15 last year and $15 for my girlfriend and it was only good for the 3 months. I should have pocketed the $30 bucks because they werent enforcing it anyhow.
Some of my friends were ice fishing on a local lake up here in Upstate and an Encon officer was there. My one friend recognized him from being on the river and asked him about the new regs. The Encon officer replied that they would be checking everyone for fishing licenses and the marine license. And that these were orders from the higher ups. NYS needs as much revenue as they can right now. Just look at the roads out there when you drive, there is definitely no shortage of troopers out there writing speeding tickets. Encon officers have the same orders.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM

They for sure will enforce it this year. It was last three months of last year that they weren't enforcing it.
Good luck to them (Encon) or (MRIP) getting accurate reports from an angry mob of anglers.