For Rickski - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: For Rickski

Well within the next few days I should have my mono tube Craftsman. I hope anyway as I'm getting antsy and worried as it's like a big deal to get this guy to call me(I want it now). I missed 3 others one was free and it was like brand new????? along with another for $50 in same condition. One other one was under $100 also and in great condition. Well right now I think I have 2 to pick from but both are over an hour away-oh well for $70 with tools and calipers I think it's a great deal. The other is $100 but is clean as a whistle(like Roc's) and comes with a bunch of other stiff. Oh the one(above) that was $50 they ended up selling it for $100 along with a scroll saw, work bench, cabinet and radial arm saw and a bunch of hand tools-these people are nuts, I missed out by around 30 minutes with my phone call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Well I got my lathe. Roccus the chuck you have for yours, is that self centering? I know of a 6 1/2 inch 4 jaw I can get(craftsman) which is not self centering. It's a 1mt and I was wondeing if yours is also a 1mt or a 3/4-16. I think I have access to a 1/2" 'drill chuck' for tail as these are 1MTs which are much easier to find. I do also think I may get a ball bearing center. I still need to check the mess of parts he gave me as I know there is a face plate.

If either you or rick dont have the manuals for yours you can download for free from hammerwall.com
Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the chuck I have is self centering,... and yes the head stock and tail stock are 1MT... I replaced the dead center tail stock with a live center....
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
the chuck I have is self centering,... and yes the head stock and tail stock are 1MT... I replaced the dead center tail stock with a live center....
Thank you Roccus. That answer alot for me. I was looking at a 1mt 4 jaw chuck, not self centering though. Now that I know exactly what it is as I have heard conflicting info from others. I also am going to get a live center and some sort of chuck maybe both self center or just reg. 4 jaw and or 1/2 chuck. I'm still waiting to hear back on another one that I believes includes all of this and more. They basically have a whole workshop for sale.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
Thank you Roccus. That answer alot for me. I was looking at a 1mt 4 jaw chuck, not self centering though. Now that I know exactly what it is as I have heard conflicting info from others. I also am going to get a live center and some sort of chuck maybe both self center or just reg. 4 jaw and or 1/2 chuck. I'm still waiting to hear back on another one that I believes includes all of this and more. They basically have a whole workshop for sale.

I've seen your conversation on the other site....the chuck I have is from PSI wood working, I bought mine a long time ago, back when they sold and packaged them in wooden boxes,I have all the bushings to make the chuck fit any lathe, weather they ar 8TPI 1" spindles or 3/4" spindle 16 TPI or even 1 1/4" spindle 8 TPI....

wood craft has the bushing/adapters available individualy...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ba...aw-chucks.html
This is the chuck... the new ones come with a molded plastic case... it appears to be the same kit as mine, less the wooden box..
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
First Mate

Which site? LOL Was it not true what I said, maybe love was a strong word. My friend I found out a few weeks ago has one, he doen't turn plugs on it but I did. It was sweet, well very nice for a Craftsman. I had only a short time there but got to turn a few surfsters, atoms, Danny(out of pine) and a few needles(maple).
Actually I'm not 100% sure I need the 4 jaw or maybe I do, just not sure yet. After going through the box last night I found there was a 1/2 chuck. I thought I would look as I was putting away chainsaw andgetting salt and ice melt out for the snow.(another 6" this sucks) I was not sure what it was to the other day as there was a bunch of stuff there, much of it didn't even goto the lathe.
I had thought the head had to be 3/4-16, well that's what is in the owner's manual anyway. I have not had much time to mess with it except set it up and check for true. That is cool that Woodcraft has a bushing, it also sucks as I just ordered a few things from them(Kutzall bit, center and a few other things) I'm glad I did not order the 1/2" chuck as I have one.

I'm still looking into another lathe as I really want the band saw, sander, and a few other items-will have to take a radial arm and drill press with them , actually there a mess of hand power tools to boot(that I don't need as I have about all of them)
Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

LMAO.. it's just another tool in the shop .. and I LOVE all my tools.. it doea the job i bought it for and that is all I ask of it...

you dont need a chuck at all... it's just another "bullet in the gun" as long as you have a drive center and tail center your GTG... if you want to drill, you'll have to get a drill chuck, I use the 4 jaw so i dont have to purchase a 1MT drill chuck, everything in my shop uses a 2MT and I have several of them...never get rid of tools.. because as soon as you do.. you'll need it.. and the cost of the replacement far exceeds the price ( pittance) you'll recieve for them.....
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Did you just change the chuck link/picture? The one pictured looked like the Talon, whew $250 but they do have a 3/4-16. Those are better prices anyway. No way I would drop $250 on the chuck. I could get the non centering one for $45 but thats a pain. I do see that they also have 3/4-16 adapters available, well I assume as it says chuck adapts to.

Is yours the micro?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

not intentionally, when I edited it to post the link for you the damn thing went away.. Mines the Barracuda II... if your going to buy a chuck, dont waste your money on anything less than a Barracuda or Talon ( same chuck, built for different distributors to their specs)...any chuck that is not self centering is more trouble than it is worth.. like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for...

It doesnt take long for the accessories to cost more than the lathe... I shudder to think how much I have in chucks, jaws, drive systems,live centers, colletts, face plates and jamb chucks.. not to mention pen, bottle stopper and other specialty mandrels....scary...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Well I've got the tail figured out, easy as it's 1mt. What if I want to change out the headstock drive center, is my only option to go with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck being that it's 3/4-16?

Roccus-I also want to thank you for your help.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
Well I've got the tail figured out, easy as it's 1mt. What if I want to change out the headstock drive center, is my only option to go with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck being that it's 3/4-16?

Roccus-I also want to thank you for your help.

Maybe I just haven't had my coffee yet, but I;'m not getting your question.... you can get any spur drive you want for 1MT.. as far as the 3/4 16.. just get a threaded adapter if you want to change chucks or face plate.. the world is your onion...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
First Mate

That is kind of what I thought but was not sure. I was not sure if a 1mt spur drive would fit inside the 3/4-16. This is the first lathe I have delt with that has this configuration, all others have been 2 mt on both ends.

I have been running on empty myself the last few days. Dummy me started a strip and shingle of a pita roof and all it has been doing since I started is rain and snow. I was reading something different on another site, funny thing is the site (I think) is accociated w/ Sears. Well I quess Sears doesn't care about these lathes anymore anyway. I don't think and doubt that site owner has any idea or even cares. I had met him a few times and he is a big A-HOLE, Intials are B.V. We installed a kitchen just outside of Boston in an old house, that was on his old show. Yes he really was/is as dumb as his questions made him look.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Roccus, Rick or anyone

I want to order a new spur drive center. I really don't need it but just want an extra plus the one I have is original plus like to have spring loaded center
. What do you think would be better. A 4 prong spur or a Super center (many small teeth) also what size would be best for turning spindles(1 1'4 to 1 1/2). If there is another that is better or you reccomend please say it. Also what would be the best style live center to get for the tailstock.

I just found out that I do need a 1/2 chuck as the one I have is live and wont work for drilling.

If you need or want the owners manual I know where you can get it free. If needed PM me
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Woodcraft has drill chucks to fit your 1MT..P/N 142552..

as far as the spur drive goes, spring loaded only is an asset if you are doing production turning and dont want to shut down the lathe...most of the ohe spur drives they list are for #2MT.. I ssume the factory spur drive is 5/8... which is fine for most applications, the super drives in 1/2" are good for fine work on needle fish or slim eel like plugs, and even then it you are leaving the squre ends, the factory drive is fine, the multy tooth super drives tend to slip on hard woods if you appy alot of pressure during roughing ...

Quit driving yourself crazy, just get the lathe and have some fun.. and get the shingles on that roof... more precip is on the way for the weekend!