I may have gone overboard - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: I may have gone overboard

Very good craftmanship!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare086 View Post
is there any way to sell me your plug before the finish? as it appears in the first 3 pics? that looks excatly like a spot, amazing job.
I am still unsure of the design and techniques used. Now that it has dried long enough I will try to get out to make a few cast into the actual ocean not just a bucket of water. I am planing to make more but have to get over the first hurdle which is to see if it will present itself close to how an actual fish would (for instance if it spins it back to the drawing board). I am going to try a mackerel shape eventually.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM

sounds good, you should be proud it looks awesome so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Official Member

Lightbulb Re: I may have gone overboard

Started to make another after cutting out both sides and using a belt sander to smooth the cuts this is what I have

using an orbital sander it starts to take shape at this point I'm about an hour into the build

next I clamp them together in order to sand them to be uniform where they line up (This is done so when I install the thru wire I don't have to sand too close to the wire)

If you do not want to thru-wire I would highly recommend you checkout Roccus procedure it is pretty much what I do click here https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8251

I don't mean to tease you guys but until wed. mornings tide (which I feel confident there will be fish in the ditch; although the moon is not quite right for me....) which I am fishing and I find out how this plug will present and may have to make some changes. Hopefully this starts some of you on your way!

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 09-16-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
First Mate

All this talk of making plugs is getting me excited. I still have a few more weeks of fishing and then hunting season to get through.... Then it's plug making season.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Official Member

Well fishing wasn't very productive out of myself and 11 other guys within site (either side) there were only 4 fish landed and very few breaking fish one guy got 2 on back to back cast and the other guy just got one all shorts. Anyhow I was pleasantly surprised that my plug actually does have rather nice action it is similar in movement to a gibbs wooden swimer (the carved lip not the metal lip) although I think I might have to sacrifice the rare earth magnet imbedded within the body (used to hold the foward hook to eliminate damage to the finish) because it did sink very slowly which is not what I intended (if the water was colder it might even be neutrally boyant). I think I am going to move the front hook foward also. But overall I was pleased...........and the other fish that was caught was mine about 24 inches which seeing the lack of fish caught and being on my new plug made the trip worth making. I also stopped in at M&D and picked up a few items to improve on the next plug. What a nice selection of plug making materials and Mike was very helpful, although he did tell me about a plug swap run on this site which he sent in 8 plugs he built and only got one in return? Would be nice to have that issue cleared up; atleast before I could consider participating in a swap.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 09-19-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Cow Catcher

that plug You Built for your first one is unbelivable. Im Finishing up my First Batch. And yours looks like it took way more time and effort into making. And i Bet I TOOK LONGER. ONCE AGAIN GREAT JOB. HOPE TO DO A PLUG GIVE AWAY SOMETIME BEFORE THE WINTER. ILL POST PICTURES.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Official Member

Finally made it to prime time! After using my dremel and a 1/8 straight groove router bit to make the channel where the wire will sit I glued it together with marine epoxy and clamped it and left it for 24+ hrs to cure.

MORE sanding to shape

drill

seal

weighting/balance

prime

Of course there were many tweaking steps I left out (sanding, more sanding, testing balance and adjusting weights till I was satisfied. I did move the front hook and lengthened the body slightly.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Official Member

After using black as my base color I wet sand with 600 grit and applied the scales,

I seal the scales with a light coat of envirotex (saves having to redo the scales if i have to erase/wash off the head till I get it right). The next step will be hand painting the face (gills,mouth etc.). I will try to finish this before Christmas, it's kinda tough being a part /spare time builder.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec
I also stopped in at M&D and picked up a few items to improve on the next plug. What a nice selection of plug making materials and Mike was very helpful, although he did tell me about a plug swap run on this site which he sent in 8 plugs he built and only got one in return? Would be nice to have that issue cleared up; atleast before I could consider participating in a swap.
I knew there was problems with the swap but I hadnt realized Mike
never receive any. Apparantly his were lost as well.
I'll do my best to make sure he receives the other 7 from the swap.
I think i have 4 - that i will send him.
One Is in the Atlantic
One I will part with upon my death.

Very Nice work btw.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
I knew there was problems with the swap but I hadnt realized Mike
never receive any. Apparantly his were lost as well.
I'll do my best to make sure he receives the other 7 from the swap.
I think i have 4 - that i will send him.
One Is in the Atlantic
One I will part with upon my death.

Very Nice work btw.
I think that would be great especially with the holidays and all. And after seeing his work I could only imagine how happy the recipients were to recieve them.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Official Member

Made some progress on the head/face. Dosen't have to be perfect it's going to be sprayed over.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:19 PM

I was not aware that Mike recieved NO plugs!
It was my fault his were not recieved for the swap.
I mailed them from my local post office, and for some reason they disappeared into thin air on the way to Roc's address.
I will make good to mike, as I did not insure the package, nor did I request delivery reciept.
I dropped off one of my bomb poppers to him, as I was there picking up plug hardware at the time.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
First Mate

im working on something a bit similar, would etex work for keeping the two pieces together?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Made some progress on the head/face. Dosen't have to be perfect it's going to be sprayed over.

Beautiful work, man, exact bunker replica, should crush the bass.