Bait of Choice for chunking in the surf or off the bank - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Bait of Choice for chunking in the surf or off the bank

I had good success this fall using bunker that I would buy at a tackle shop, but I would sometimes rather avoid the trip to the tackle shop. There's a number of fresh fish stores in my area. What do you think that is normally sold in local fish stores would work just as good as bunker? They ususally carry whiting, herring, and mackerel? Any of these work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Chinook

I've had success in the new york harbor with store bought butterfish. Havent tried the mack or herring. When I dont use bunker I use clams (sandy bottom) eels or sand worms. Save the bunker heads if you can.
Seen guys use squid from the surf with not much success.
Try the storm wildeye bunker pattern soft plastic swim baits. I would use lobster but its too expensive.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Default clam

U just use fresh clam, crack it open, and use the insides? That'll stay on the hook? do u have to treat them in brine or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 05:10 PM

You can soak em in salt water in a bucket to toughen em up 8)
Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 PM
LunkHead

If'n ya don't want to mess around soaking them, try what I do, scoop out the whole entire clam, run the hook thru it 2-3 times, starting at the soft end of the clam and making the last pass thru the tip, where it's a little firmer. Then wind all the stringy glop around the hook, and tie the whole mess up with some elastic thread, available at the bait shop. Wind the thread around several times and tie it off, you can sometimes get several fish with the same clam.
To finish off this ritual, I always break the clam shells on some nearby rocks. Why? Who the hell knows......

Ed
Old 02-09-2005, 09:29 PM

I know guys who will buy the old left over fish at fish markets and make chum...or if they have macks they'll use those for bait...

I just buy a flat of herring at a commercial fishing supply and throw it in my freezer...saves me trip to the bait shop...

Jim...I was on Martha's Vineyard on a long sandy point, with huge breakers (becasue a storm was coming)...and I killed em' on squid...on a fish finder rig I just let it get churned up in the breakers...it was one of my best surf trips ever!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:50 PM

we'll use either the mackeral we can get early in the summer, my wife loves seeing it in the freezer. Or there is a bait place down the road from me that will sell you a 5 gal pail of fresh herring for $10.......
Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 PM

lmao steve, i always get the dirty looks from the wifey when i'm splitting up clams into smaller containers and throwing them in the freezer. i usually throw them on top of the icecubes or something. Whats worst than that you ask?....sometimes when i'm planning to eat some striper, i bring it home at about 4am and wrap it in a trash bag and throw it on one of the shelves in the fridge because i dont want to clean it until the next day. you should hear the screams. wait till i train my daughter to do the same hahaha.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i still have bunker staring at my wife in the freezer. got her trained not to throw it out cause when she did i filled it up more. I LIVE WITH FEAR! BUT: SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME FISH! :?

Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 PM

I like herring, in fact my first keeper was cought on a herring chunk. (maybe thats why I like it

I especially like herring around rivers and out flows.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:37 PM

I must say...Clam bellies...

My biggest fish came out of the surf on clams :D
Old 02-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

steve, can you get frozen mackerel?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Veteran

I would try to copy the type of bait that the fish are feeding on. Just like a flyfisherman would try to copy the bait with a fly
Old 02-13-2005, 02:19 PM

If theres a clambellie floating around in the ocean from april to october...Stripers will wack it. Thats from experience.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 02-13-2005, 11:02 PM

hey Zim, I catch and freeze my own. If you check out Defiant Lobster/Bait in the bait and tacke shops. Pete will sell you a block of freezin macks, I think it's like 45 lbs, shippin it might kill ya though. Of course when they start runnin here in the spring I'll fill the freezer. I'm sure if you could get up here in early June, Brandon could get you out in the boat to fill a couple of coolers I can get fresh herring $10 for a 5 gal pail too, I bag it up and freeze that too