nubee in Newburyport........help! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Official Member

Fished Joppa on Friday June 3rd for the first time for stipers all on flys and had a blast. I'm more than happy to share what I learned but take it for what its worth being a nubee myself.

I caught my first ever striper on my second cast. That is, the first striper I was trying to catch. We had the best luck with a clouser or deep deciever half and half. The best colors were Chartruse and white. We caught a total of a dozen fish the best was 24. We did'nt have a clue what we were doing and there were guys catching 40-50 fish. One guy that was hooking up cast after cast said he was using tinny-winny line and was sinking it fast. He did'nt say what fly patterns they were using. We got there about two hours before high tide and fished around Joppa mostly on a drift. When the tide stated out we headed up river to the marina and drifted the rip out with everyone else. Drifted down and motored back up river, just follow the crowd. On guy did let me know that when finished my drift I was supposed to go back up the channel side of the drift not the Joppa side as this apparently scares the bass coming of the flats. The things you learn. We were using 10 wts with 8 ft 20lb leaders.

Like I said there were guys catching tons of fish and maybe some will pipe in and let me know what we were doing wrong so we can both learn something.

Good luck on your trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Official Member

Thanks Kingfisher for the info!
I just got an email from a guy in Newburyport that fished Joppa today and caught 12 in an hour and a half.........three 30", one 36", nothing smaller than 23"......on chartruse and white deceivers.
I think he uses a type III uniform sinking line with 9' leader, 15lb tippet.
I'll bet the guy you talked to was using a Jim Teeny sinking tip line. I've heard it's another favorite out there.
We'll be headed out Wednesday........looks like the weather has been getting better............can't wait! :D