Pics or diagram of your herring tank - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Pics or diagram of your herring tank

It may be a monster, but it'll be GREAT to fish out of. I personally prefer the aluminum hull over fiberglass anyways because of longevity and toughness. It should be pretty easy to tow too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Official Member

Got a great deal on it last summer 600.00 with the galv trailer and I have anoter 500.00 in it and it is built like like a brick s--t house. Very strong, tons of ribs and 5 keels. I just need to locate a engine hoist to mount the motor in the next week or so.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Official Member

OK now lets see your tanks..... I mean please can I see your tank set up..... I mean pretty please with a striper on the top. HAHA I want to get it right the first time. Sick and tired of paying 2 bucks a piece only to kill them 30 min later due to lack of renewed water and then chunk fish the rest of the day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Here you go:

This is the inside of the tank. I used a 55 gallon plastic drum. You can see how the fitting points to the left. This is the intake side. By having the fitting pointing this way, you'll get that circular motion to the water I mentioned earlier.

This is the outside of the intake fitting. I attach 3/4" clear hose from here to the exit port on the bilge pump which is put in the water. You'll have to lengthen the wires on the pump to reach the battery and when you do, you'll want to seal the connections good to keep water out.

This is the exit. Since this is the tank I use on shore, I just let the water run out. For your needs, you'll want a fitting to allow you to attach a hose and run the hose over the side of the boat.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Official Member

It might be me but for some reason all I see are 3 little boxes with a red x in them in gunners post. Anybody know the solution to see them?

Thanks Gunner.
Gimme a call 894-3345 if you want to have breakfast at the midway cafe around 9:30 Sat morn 3/15.

Im going to Albany Sat morning to get 2 pieces of 1" x 3" x 48" plate Aluminum for transom supports for when I mount my outboard on Monday.

Hope to be in the water by the end of next week

Jason
Old 03-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
all I see are 3 little boxes with a red x in them in gunners post
Jason
Refresh your browser or open a new one. Are you using internet explorer7? If so check your security settings to allow display images
Go to the tools menu - click on internet options -- hit the advanced tab and then make sure the box in multimedia is checked on show pictures.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Official Member

Figured out the picture thing.

We run parental software on or PC's and laptops and it was blocking photos from programs from such sites as photobucket ect.

Thanks

Jason
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
First Mate

Did you get the motor on? Let's see some pics! Did you make/but a bait tank?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Official Member

The motor is and boy what a story.

Thinking that I could hang a cum-a-long from my back deck I drilled 2 small holes in the decking to put a chain thru them over 2 2x10 trusses. Got that done and when I tried to back my truck up to the deck ........ It sunk right to the frame rails. Ran and got my wife’s CRV and took a hour to get that out. Planks sheets of plywood chains, cum-a-long...the whole 9 yards. Had to go to work at 3 SO.... 6 hrs and no motor on the boat.
At work I asked if someone had a engine hoist and low and behold my buddy had one. Went over 7am the next morning and picked it up in the pouring rain. Came home hoisted the motor off the crate and backed the boat in place. Under the advice of west marine to use a product by 3M called 5200 to seal the holes in the hull I caulked the old holes and then set the motor on the stern, centered and marked the holes. after lifting the motor away the caulk kind pulled away and I re-smoothed it out with my finger after cutting the medical gloves I had on BIG MISTAKE.......... That 5200 stuff will not come off with gas, mineral spirits NO NOTHING. Now my hands have the 5200 stuff on them and so does MY drill so does my Earhart Bibs & Jacket, Ratchet and sockets ect...

Drilled the holes caulked the holes and re caulked the area behind the motor. Plated the transom with 1" by 4" Aluminum bars and WA..LA its on.
Over the last 3 days I have tried LAVA, Sand/kero mixture ect to get the white caulk off several times and Just today after taking wet sandpaper and liquid lava, MY hands are clean.

Moral to the story. 2wheel drive and soft spring yards do not mix and use heavy rubber gloves and crappy clothes when using that 5200 caulk stuff.
Have not gotten my new shift cables or bilge pump for the herring tank but everything else is done.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
First Mate

Talking Re: Pics or diagram of your herring tank

YIKES! They really recommended the 5200, huh? The 4200 would've done the same thing, but would've been easier to clean. Got the truck stuck in the mud huh? Come on now, living in the Coxsackie/Athens area all your life you should've known that lawn would be a sink hole!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Official Member

Yeah but fishin fever does wierd things.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 AM

As soon as i read "Thinking I could hang a cumalong on the back deck" i said Oh no!!
Glad it wasnt a complete disaster.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
As soon as i read "Thinking I could hang a cumalong on the back deck" i said Oh no!!
Glad it wasnt a complete disaster.
Yeah, I thought he was going to say something like he pulled the whole deck down.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Official Member

Now now... I tested the deck thing with 400lbs of concrete using a filled 30 gal. drum before I hung a expensive motor. The plus side of this is I will have a spot to hang my future 50lb striper and 300lb buck for pictures
Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
First Mate

Have you gotten your tank made yet? Have you had the boat out yet? You don't happen to know where I could find one of those boats cheap, do you? They have LOTS of room compared to my 16 footer.