Where to catch Herring from a boat in Newburgh? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Where to catch Herring from a boat in Newburgh?

Hey guys.

I've been fishing out of newburgh for years for stripers, but have never been able to catch herring. Anyone have any tips on how to catch herring from a boat in Newburgh? I have sabiki rigs and will usually toss one out occasionally, but have never had any luck. I'll usually fish between the bridge and bannermans on the 30 fow dropoff on the east shore.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Where to catch Herring from a boat in Newburgh?

I haven't fished down by Newburg but it is my understanding you can't get herring or shad on sabiki's down there as the water is too muddy. Up here in the Albany area it clears up more so they can see the rigs. If we get a good rain and the water gets muddy, the hits stop until it clears up again. They are not feeding, just hitting out of agression, so being able to see the rigs, or a shad dart, is a necessity. You might try some the clearer creeks in that area.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Member Reel Force

Default Re: Where to catch Herring from a boat in Newburgh?

I seem to do best bouncing it off the bottom when its sunny out and lift and reel when its cloudy. It also takes more than a cast or two! ;) Usually its on or off with them as they travel in schools, at least thats my own genius take on it.