NH one night 8/29 - 8/30 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Default NH one night 8/29 - 8/30

Hey all,

I'll be in Portsmouth, NH for business trip next Thursday, but am coming in the night before. I'm driving up, and since business trips are generally pretty boring, was thinking of bringing up a rod to pass a couple of hours in the evening.

Is there any action up there now? I was GoogleEarthing, and it looks like if I take Pioneer Rd from Portsmouth down to Rye Harbor there may be a few spots along the way? Any other suggested locations? What do they hit on up there?

Thanks,
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: NH one night 8/29 - 8/30

You have scoped out some potentially good spots along Pioneer Road/Route 1A in Rye. Bring your surf gear and striper rods with you. On your way up to Portsmouth get off I-95 at Exit 3 and get on Route 33 West towards Greenland and Stratham. About 2 miles on your right will be Suds 'N Soda Bait and Tackle Shop, 363 Portsmouth Ave/Route 33, Greenland Tel. 603-431-9823. It's at the traffic light after the Mercedes-Benz dealership.

The guys there will tell you that day where your best chances are to catch stripers that day/night and what the best bait is/lures are for that time. The action might be on the beaches or from the rocks or possibly from one of the bridges.

Good luck!

Sandyon1A
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info, Sandy. Along Pioneer Rd/Ocean Blvd/1A, are there any public parking areas? Are the local authorities strict about parking alongside the rd? Any idea how late that shop is open?

I'm just getting into this saltwater fishing thing, and this will actually be my first time out casting from shore, so I'm not expecting much. I've previously been out in the LI Sound once with my uncle (out of Cos Cob), and once in Cape Cod Bay with my 20 ft bowrider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info, Sandy. , are there any public parking areas? Are the local authorities strict about parking alongside the rd?

Along Pioneer Rd/Ocean Blvd/Route 1A there are many parking places that are free but the signs say parking is limited to 1 Hr or 2 Hrs. There are other parking places where you have to have a Rye Resident Permit. All of those parking areas are enforced during the daytime by two Parking Patrol college kids on motor scooters ( a tough summer job!). I do not know if the Rye Police ticket people at night for parking violations along Route 1A. I don't think so, but I cannot say for sure.

Any idea how late that shop is open?

Suds 'N Soda is open until 9:00 PM. Go there and they will tell you where to surfcast for your first time at it.

I'm just getting into this saltwater fishing thing, and this will actually be my first time out casting from shore, so I'm not expecting much. I've previously been out in the LI Sound once with my uncle (out of Cos Cob), and once in Cape Cod Bay with my 20 ft bowrider.

Because this is your first time surfcasting from the shore, I recommend that you do it from a beach, rather than from the rocks. The rocks can be slippery, plus when you catch a nice big monster striper, it's a lot easier and safer to land it on a beach than it is when you're standing on rocks, especially if the tide has gone down and the rocks are covered with slime or seaweed.

Beaches in Rye are Wallis Sands, Pirates' Cove and Jenness Beach. Stripers are also caught further south on Route 1A (the ocean road) at North Beach in North Hampton, at Hampton North Beach in Hampton, and at Rocky Bend (which is the northern corner of the beach at Hampton Beach). It depends on the time of year and a lot of factors, including but not limited to our 10 foot tides. That's why you have to talk with someone in the know - such as the guys at Suds 'N Soda - the day you are going to go.

Sandyon1A

P.S. I am not connected to Suds 'N Soda, just one of its many customers who has received helpful tips and advice from the owner and the employees, all of whom are good fishermen.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM

And that last post clearly demonstrates why the local tackle shops, even when charging a little more, should be supported with your spending money.
The pimple faced punk at wally world aint got a clue.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Striper Hunter

Well Sandy, you certainly are helpfull!

I'll be going up this Wednesday. In the time frame that I expect to be out there, the tide will be about 2 hrs past low and rising, and moon will be one day past full. From what I've read, not exactly the best situation for fishing, but at least I can take benefit from the moon on my first time out at night.

Are there significant flats in the area? I am accustomed to Cape Cod were my mother lives in East Brewster there a significant tidal flow in-and-out. At Nauset, the low tide/high tide horizontal distance is probably no more than 200 feet - is that what I can expect in NH?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellogg3 View Post
Well Sandy, you certainly are helpfull!

I'll be going up this Wednesday. In the time frame that I expect to be out there, the tide will be about 2 hrs past low and rising, and moon will be one day past full. From what I've read, not exactly the best situation for fishing, but at least I can take benefit from the moon on my first time out at night.

Are there significant flats in the area? I am accustomed to Cape Cod were my mother lives in East Brewster there a significant tidal flow in-and-out. At Nauset, the low tide/high tide horizontal distance is probably no more than 200 feet - is that what I can expect in NH?

Thanks so much!
Tide two hours in and rising, back side of the moon.... the conditions dont get any better!

There are lots of flats, but you need a boat or local knowledge to wade them...

Driving from Portsmouth South along Rt 1A there are endless possabilities for rock hounding... this time of year, these rock bowls are where you want to fish... live eels, rigged sluggo's and needlefish all will oroduce...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Good to know my interpretation of everything I've read so far is 180-degree WRONG!!! Doh!

Maybe I got this one right - black sluggos?

I was using Chart Navigator and saw that there are a couple of outcroppings north of Rye Harbor: High Rock, Pulpit Rock, and Seal Rocks. Then Wallis Beach that Sandy mentioned.

Like I said, this will be first time out, and only in town for one night, so it'll probably just be for a couple of hours... get my feet wet, so to speak!

Thanks again, all!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Well, where did you go and how did you do?

Sandyon1A
Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Wed night I ended up at Rye Beach about halfway along the arc fishing clams on a fishfinder, as per the suds n' soda guys' recommendations. Nada.

Thursday I had a caoupl of extra hours before I had to leave, so I went to the rocks at the north end of Wallis Sands. Again nothing.

So it was a fruitless, but enjoyable beginning. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 AM
swabbie

What's "Chart Navigator " and where do I find it?

Sounds likesomething I need to check out!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
First Mate

dan,

See www.maptech.com

Download/install the software "free"

Then go back and get the free map charts for the
area you fish. It gives you printable charts across the world.

--cal
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Striper Hunter

A little more info for you. Chart Navigator is a software that allows you to view NOAA nautical charts on your computer. I use the free version, but there is also the Pro version for a fee.

Direct link to the download page: http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/

You want to download and install the Chart Navigator Viewer at the bottom of the page in the pink box.

Then go here: http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/ind...?page=download and find the charts you want and download and install them. I typically use the "Search on a Map" feature to find what I want.