Any advice to a striper noobie on the aqueduct? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 AM

Default Any advice to a striper noobie on the aqueduct?

Hello, I'm new to this board but I have been lurking for quite some time now. I have recentley started going to the aqueduct near the Lancaster area and I have only made two visits there and have only caught 2 schoolies total! Now I get the basics, use chicken liver, chovies, etc etc and wait it out. However, I do have some few setup questions if you experts can please help me out I'd appreciate it, as my username says C&R only so I wont be keeping any. Anyway,

I went again today VERY briefly and I was using the football shaped ounce weights with chovies. However, this setup caused a tangle everytime. I tried a different egg shaped weight and again it would tangle with the bait everytime I pulled it out, it seems as though this is because the weights just get pushed with the current back to shore, so what is a better weight? The pyramid shaped or something else?

As far as leader goes, I don't use one, I just use my 8-10 lb fluorocarbon that I already have on my setup. Is this a bad idea? Or is a leader always a must?

That's pretty much the only questions I have, I just know you guys often post about 40-50 fish days and I stay for a while and only get 1! Either way I'd appreciate any tips/advice on the aqueduct. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 08:47 AM

Welcome C&R. Can you explain what type of setup you are using and how much weight you're currently using?

I'm far from an expert striper fisherman but here's what I use. For fishing the surf where I'm at, I use a 3 oz. pyrimad sinker on a fishfinder rig. Here's a picture of the setup most of us use when fishing cut bait.

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6243

The principle behind this rig is that when a fish takes the bait, they don't feel the resistance of the weight because it is able to slide up the line. There's been lots of discussion regarding this rig. The thread link above is just one of many. For additional info, just run a search on the forum for "fishfinder".

The amount of weight you use depends on the current or surf conditions. Most days on the beach I fish, the surf action is light so even a 2 oz. sinker will work.

As far as your line and leader question....the fishfinder rig lends itself to using some type of leader. You need to block the fishfinder rigged weight from sliding all the way down to the hook. So I use about 18 inches of 40-50 lb. fluoro tied to the hook and the other end tied to either a barrel or snap swivel. It's that swivel that impedes the fishfinder weight from sliding all the way to the hook while nothing impedes the movement of the slipping fishfinder rig in the other direction. One reason I use heavy fluoro as my leader is because you never know if a toothy bluefish will pickup your bait. Using that, in conjuction with a circle hook, minimizes break-offs do to bluefish since you don't set the hook with circles.

Not sure where you fish but 8-10 lb. line seems awfully light to me. That's the typical line weight I use on my freshwater gear when fishing for large mouths. Stripers get big. A 30 lb. striper can easily snap 10 lb. test or strip your reel clean. If you fish an area that has structure like rocks or pilings, you may have to put the breaks on a run. You'll have real problems doing that with 10 lb. test...even 20 lb. line, which is what I use, can have some issues with a big fish under those conditions. Also, if you need to increase your sinker weight, you'll probably have a few break-offs on the cast with such light line.

You didn't mention the type of rod you're using. Throwing a heavy 3 oz. weight wirth an ounce of cut bait requires a rod with quite a bit of backbone. If you're actually using a freshwater setup, most don't have the backbone to do that.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Default hey

Hey thanks for the info. I fish at the aqueduct and I use a heavy-medium rod. I use 8-10 leader there because they are often schoolies only about 17-19 inches and only 6 lbs or so. I have heard of the fishfinder rig, would that be best suited for the aqueduct though considering its very fast currents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 03:17 PM

I don't understand why it wouldn't. Ever stand in the surf with 4 footers breaking? There's some serrious current there. But I don't know what the aquaduct is either. Where is that? Suggestion, post your question in the regional forum where you fish. Someone there may be familiar with the area you fish.