surfcasting eels? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Default surfcasting eels?

Hey guys i was just wondering if you can surfcast with eels. I have heard soo much good they do but also how fragile they are. Is it possible to fish from shore with eels?

:?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Fragile? Whoever told you that doesn't fish eels.

5/0 Gami Octopus 4' flouro leader, bring the hook up from under the jaw and out an eye socket. If the eel is particularly feisty smack em once against the rocks to calm him down a bit, that'll keep him from tying himself and the leader into an eel ball.
I've surf casted the same eel for hours catching multiple fish. So long as there's the slightest curl to the tip of the tail they're still good - when they're finally dead rig them on a tin squid.

The answer is yes they work great off the beach and no they're not fragile.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks alot Sudsy, Ill try that next time i go out and hopefully score a bass or two.

Out've Bunker, clams,worms and eels What do you guys think works the best from shore. For bass that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 PM

From Staten island. for me its bunker. Bunker heads from shore. Clams and worms score some nice sized fish but its bunker for me. I've used eels from shore several times with not much luck. They are much better in the raritan bay than in the harbor. I have to get out soon. Im in withdrawel. Im dealing with some crappy health issues. Hope to see you guys out there on si soon.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Clams for me...
Old 05-11-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
I've used eels from shore several times with not much luck
Meat I need to clarify that statement. I've only tried it a dozen or so times when I could get eels and when they were the hot bait in the Bay. I tried dragging them slowly on the rocks and working them with the current in the sand. I've "heard" from others that they scored at great kills in the surf but I haven't. I heard a guy from lemon creek tell me he trolled that whole new York harbor up and down inside and out and hadn't scored with an eel. I've also heard a few guys say that eels in the hudson were useless. But the eastern end of Raritan bay they kill with eels. I can only give you my limited experience with them there. And it may be just lousy technique. i will still try them from shore when they are available.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Striper Hunter

cant hurt to give them a try i still havent caught a bass yet on ether clams or bunker. So ill give eels a try on one of my poles and see what happens. Hopefully biggies bait and tackle in tottenville has them.

http://www.fishbox.tv/biggies/ <--there site tells you key spots and baits.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Veteran Elite

I've had lots of luck on eels, and never had a problem keeping them on the hook. Getting them on the hook is another story completely. I'd hate to see the wife of the guy who told you they are fragile, because he really knows how to handle something hard LOL. I rig my 15' with about 15 yards of 40lb shock leader, tied to 20lb mono, have used up to 12oz weights and cast, cast, cast and recast for hours. Damn that sounds like they don't work, but they really do. I've never had a pole in a sand spike stay upright when a Striper hit an eel. They always end up on the beach. Don't get me wrong, I'll use menhaden, squid, peelers, bloods, etc and have luck on them as well.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Striper Hunter

i hope all this eel talk works lol getting me excited.Cant wait.

When im fishing with them do i have to keep casting and reeling like a plug or leave it like clams or bunker
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Meat. You can present them either way. but dont give em slack or they will ball up.

Say hello to Dennis and Brian at Biggies for me. Dennis fishes a lot from shore. he can help you out. I see they upgraded their site a bit.
The guys at Michaels in Great Kills are great as well. The best and freshest bait around. The old salts love to talk fishing there.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 AM

I've tried deadsticking an eel but all I've ever gotten out of it is a hopelessly tangled eel/leader ball, no matter how tight i've kept the line. (might just be operator error though)

I like to fish em like a plug. Cast out, no weights in quieter water, if there's a decent current an egg sinker in front of a quality swivel (Sampo, Spro...) about 2' in front of the eel, just enough weight to get it to the bottom. Fish it slow, so slow it hurts, then slow down some more.
In an area with a stronger sweeping current I'll toss it out and walk it down the beach, just taking in enough line to keep contact. Had my best eeling nights using this method.

If you're fishing tangled rocky areas like jetty fronts you might have to speed it up just a bit to keep the eel out of the rocks, they'll squirm under the first rock they can and snag you up. I actually prefer dead rigged eels in areas like this.

On a boat don't forget to bring a small bucket with an inch or two of sand. Drop the eel into the sand before you try to put the hook in, helps you to get a grip on the slimey bastages. Trying to catch an squirmy, slimey eel shooting around in the bottom of a boat in the middle of the night isn't a whole lot of fun. It is entertaining to watch if it's your buddy though :D
Old 05-12-2005, 01:07 AM

heres an older thread on the subject as well https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=918
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

All this eel talk...how did I miss it??? MUsta been nappin'!

They work great from the shore,at night they can be worked like a plug,just below the surface,they are alot of things,but fragil is not one of them,Ive caught as many as 6 fish on one eel,
I dont put them on ice or sand,I keep them in a bucket,no water,let the night air dry them out a little and grab them with a coarse dry rag,that way any left at the end of the night can go back into the keeper and are assured survival...
Eels need not be real lively to catch fish,I like it when they have just about had it and just curl their tailes...Except when live lining,but thats best done from a drifting boat unless you want a HUGE eel ball!

When working rock piles at night work the eels like a plug,sloooow retrieve just under the surface,give the eel a little twitch,just like you would a plug....and reel it all the way in,if I had a buck for every bass that I had grab the eel at my feet or at the boat,I'd be somewhere out of Cabo St. Lucas fishing for sailfish!!!!

If the eel you are attempting to use is a little overzelous,grab him by the tail and whack his noggin on the bucket a few times,that should take the starch out of 'em,if he still persists on balling up after being pinned,whack him on the water a few times,I've had some that were so onery that I had to pinch/break a vetebra just behind the head...they still catch fish!!!!

Tight lines
Rock
Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 AM

I think the delicate issue has to do with keeping them on the hook during the cast. Folks often snap off a few before they settle down and smooth out their stroke.

FWIW, I now use cheap paper towels for handling eels. It is the easiest way I've found. No more slimy rags, just tear a half sheet for each eel. A side benefit is that you have them on hand to wipe your hands if needed.