St.Croix Mojo Surf Rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Official Member

Default St.Croix Mojo Surf Rod

Anyone own our has anyone used this rod yet? I am interested in the 10' model for surf fishing. mainly for live bait but also castiing some plugs. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: St.Croix Mojo Surf Rod

really nice rod. i gotta say. i checked it out the other nite when brian brought it with him. if he was any more loopy i'd have had it in my car and driving away. "and i am sure he thinks this to be true" lmao...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
First Mate

Loopy yes. The 10' Mojo is an awesome rod. I don't think I would consider a bait rod though. With a rating of 1-4 oz it is a bit light for bait. Now if you want it for plugging then get it you will not be disappointed. For a bait rod I would want something to be able to throw atleast 8 oz with 6 oz being the least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Striper Hunter

If it's anything like my old Ben Doerr model ( 1-4 oz) it's the cats azz for plugging but a little light for chunking
Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Is the 10'6" mojo adequate for plugs and eels? I believe the weight rating for this rod is 2-6oz. For a live line reel would you suggest the penn slammer or shimano baitrunner? Thanks for help guys. Feedback is much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I am sure in the 2-6 oz range you would be Ok throwing heavier stuff, it would also work well with good size eels. I do not own one but I have heard the Mojo is a great rod. As far as a reel goes I won't knock the slammer I have never used one but the Shimano 4500 I fished last season put up with a lot of abuse I literally had it underwater quite often and it is still fully operational.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenson002 View Post
Is the 10'6" mojo adequate for plugs and eels? I believe the weight rating for this rod is 2-6oz. For a live line reel would you suggest the penn slammer or shimano baitrunner? Thanks for help guys. Feedback is much appreciated.
There are 2 10'6 Mojos a 3/4-4 and 2-6 either rod would do for plugs and eels, they are more than adequate. It mainly depends on the plugs you are throwing, if they are light then you may want the 3/4-4 and if heavier then 2-6. To cover your butt and give up a little when throwing Bombers and other light stuff then go with 2-6.
Either rod cast like a dream.
Each person likes things a certain way, I myself if going with the 10'6 most likely would use the 2-6 as it would give me the ability to throw heavier stuff like bait, big metals and handle large swimmers better. The 3/4 to 4 will handle the 4 no problem and it will let you really get behind it unlike some other rods of same rating
I have a 10' 1 to 4 Mojo with a Shimano Twinpower SW 6000 and I find myself grabbing it as much if not more than my Lami XS 101MS with a ZeeBaas ZX25 on it.

Don't let the light weight of the Mojo deceive you either, it has one heck of a backbone.

For live lining or bait I myself would prefer the Shimano Baitrunner out of those 2 reels. The new D series is really nice and the older B series is not to shabby either
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

The one I handled was pretty sweet. I recommend it. One of the things I didn't do was lay into it hard, but as the guys say, you can obviously get away with it.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdet69 View Post
Anyone own our has anyone used this rod yet? I am interested in the 10' model for surf fishing. mainly for live bait but also castiing some plugs. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

The 10'6" 3/4-4 is the one to get. This rod as well as the Legend 3/4-4 have a glass tip to it and is absolutely one of the most versatile rods out there. One of the best for plugging and the tip is also forgiving enough for chunking 4n'heads. Penn Conquer 5000 pairs up great with it. Maybe tough to find in stores because it is one of the most back ordered rods St'Croix have and for good reason. Every time we get them in they sell out in a couple of days.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 PM
First Mate

Just got my mojo last week...10' 1-4oz and i love it!!!

As for the 10' 6" the 2-6oz is kinda hard to come by...

And if you are eeling and plugging i'd go with the 10' 1-4 or the 10' 6" 3/4-4oz..

From there it is really on personal preference and what you will be fishing more..jetty/surf/back bay..etc...
Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 AM
goog extraordinaire

Can anyone tell me what is the low end and high end lure weight for the 10'6" Mojo? I know its rated up to 4oz. Im mainly interested in throwing lighter weight plugs(yozuri, etc..), tins and bucks from 1oz to 3oz and the occasional eel. Pairing it was a VS 250. Can this rod handle that or am i asking for too much?

thanks,
jr
Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Schwartz View Post
The 10'6" 3/4-4 is the one to get. This rod as well as the Legend 3/4-4 have a glass tip to it and is absolutely one of the most versatile rods out there. One of the best for plugging and the tip is also forgiving enough for chunking 4n'heads.
Done and done! Thanks, Andre!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy21 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the low end and high end lure weight for the 10'6" Mojo? I know its rated up to 4oz. Im mainly interested in throwing lighter weight plugs(yozuri, etc..), tins and bucks from 1oz to 3oz and the occasional eel. Pairing it was a VS 250. Can this rod handle that or am i asking for too much?

thanks,
jr
I would like to know what is the low to high range and the sweet spot myself.