Knot for the shock leader - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Official Member

Default Knot for the shock leader

I have a 525 mag on a 13' breakaway rod .. I have 65lb power pro I am tieing on a 50lb mono shock leader..casting with a ground cast.... what knot should I use??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Knot for the shock leader

I use the same setup

The best braid to mono knot I know of is the Crazy Alberto.
Takes a little practice to get right, but once you do you'll never have it slip.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Official Member

the crazy alberto is the knot i use for every braid to mono setup. when you tie it you'll see why . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Crazy Alberto Knot
Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Official Member

use a barrel swivel and a clinch knot on each end.
for the braid make 10 - 12 twists and everything will be okay
Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
use a barrel swivel and a clinch knot on each end.
for the braid make 10 - 12 twists and everything will be okay
A barrel swivel will explode through your guide tip. Dont even think about it for a shock leader.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
A barrel swivel will explode through your guide tip. Dont even think about it for a shock leader.

Not really....It's the guides that'll Explode and possibly break off the entire end tip.

My 525 is loaded with 30lb pp with a 60lb mono shock tied together with the albright knot. It holds together with no slip to this day that I've been using it.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1 View Post
I have a 525 mag on a 13' breakaway rod .. I have 65lb power pro I am tieing on a 50lb mono shock leader..casting with a ground cast.... what knot should I use??????
With 65lb running line why use a "shock leader;" especially one that is of less break strength?

With 65lb you should be fine with payloads to 7oz . . .

If you want a grab or chafe leader then just put 3-5ft or so of mono at the end but keep it outside the tip. What I do is just make the main strand (60-80lb test) of my dropper bait rig longer or use a few feet of 80lb mono for the fishfinder to slide on.

The cosmic balance of the time/space continuum will not tear by casting straight braid or using a braid casting leader . . . I OTG powercast spinning fishing gear with braid casting leaders and only use mono in casting tournaments where its use is mandated by the rules.

IMNSHO the term "shock leader" is a misnomer.

My position is that the rod is an incredible absorber of energy .... the thought that one must rely on a heavy length of mono to "protect" the rod from the "shock" of the cast seems nonsensical to me. I want to deliver the maximum energy to the sinker; introducing another component into the process that saps energy by stretching does not compute for me.

Compound that with the fact that few fishermen can actually fully load a 13ft rod and the "shock leader" meme is even less applicable (or appropriate).

Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Official Member

Thumbs up Re: Knot for the shock leader

While 'shock' leader may be a misnomer, I fish the same set up for line and leader as you. I use 65 lb test because the line diameter spools easier; I use Berkley Big Game for a leader for the abrasion resistance-I likes de rocks....
I use a plain Albright to join them, an Alberto is fine too but I can't tie it as easily in the dark when I have to. When I put the leader on beforehand, I put a drop of Zap-a-Gap on the knot and if there's time I coat it with Aquaseal and taper the ends of the coating. Fires out of the rod slick as goose s**t.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I rarely bother with a shock leader with heavy braid either.

I think the shock leader thing came from the distance casting guys and from the OBX fishermen who use lighter mono to help them cast very far. They would snap their lighter mono running line with the huge casts they make.
Throw braid in the lineup at the Outer Banks and be prepared to get your arse kicked by the rest of the guys - they throw bait for Reds in lineups two guys deep and braid tangles much more then mono.
At the distance casting competitions the rule is there to keep a spectator from being killed.

For those applications a shock leader is a must have.

The other time you need it is when you're fishing areas with a lot of sharp cutoffs like barnacles, mussels or particularly oysters. The heavy shock leader is less likely to be cut then braid.

I never bother with it off the sand.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1 View Post

Whats the point of the 50 mono shock leader on 65 mainline braid? For ground casting this setup is all wrong. 525 and braid is not a great match for distance. Especially if this is a regular fishing set up. For distance and a lot less headache go with 20 mono main line (big game works great with the 525) and 60 to 80 LB mono shocker. Or you can do what I do and just use 100 test power pro for the shocker. You get a much smaller knot with the 100 braid then with 60 mono. I don't care what anybody says but Uni-to-Uni is about the best knot you can use here. If you are going to go with 20 mono and 100 Braid then do 5 turns with the mono 6 with the braid. If you are set on doing 65 mainline braid 50 mono shocker then do 6 turns with the braid and 3 turns with the mono. Or anytime you are going with a heavy mono shocker. Not more then 3 turns. It won't slip and you still will be within reason on the knot size.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Schwartz View Post
525 and braid is not a great match for distance. Especially if this is a regular fishing set up.

Been working great for me for years.
And the distance/strength equation is much much better with braid.

If you're afraid of backlashes - use Stealth, nests pull out as easy as they do with mono.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Official Member

Its not the backlashes that bother me. On a regular fishing reel line tension and lay is is going to be irregular throughout the spool. Thats inevitable. And thats OK unless you are doing power casting. Ground cast is a power cast. And spool speed wont tolerate any pinching or line dig in. It would be OK if you don't lay into to it. But for a distance cast, any cast over 500' or over 300 with a chunk, break offs are a sure thing with braid. Now, spinning reels is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Been working great for me for years.
And the distance/strength equation is much much better with braid.

If you're afraid of backlashes - use Stealth, nests pull out as easy as they do with mono.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM

500' !
I don't think i can do that with just a sinker, much less with bait

You're talking about a whole different game
We're lucky here, 75 to a hundred yards is much farther then we really need to throw.

You should list your location in your profile. If you're one of the southern crew where distance is really important, we all would have noticed right off
Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
500' !
I don't think i can do that with just a sinker, much less with bait

You're talking about a whole different game
We're lucky here, 75 to a hundred yards is much farther then we really need to throw.

You should list your location in your profile. If you're one of the southern crew where distance is really important, we all would have noticed right off

I'm trying to keep it in topic. The OP is using a 13' Heaver and a 525 Mag, then he is looking to put a shock leader on and do Ground Casting with it. One of the most powerful and longest distance casting methods. To me that reads "Distance" otherwise why bother with a 13' Breakaway? Why an open top lightened spool Magged reel. And finally why a shock leader? If thats not going for distance, I don't know what is. A 75 yard cast can easily be accomplished with almost any 10 footer, level-wind reel and straight line. Why bother? It would probably be harder to do 75 yards with a 13' Breakaway and 525 Mag doing ground casts than it would be to do 100 or more with the same set up. Unless you are tossing a whole bunker with it.

One of my regular fishing setups is a 12' St.Croix 4-16 oz, 525 mag, 20 Lb mono main line, 100 Lb Power Pro shock Leader. A 5 oz bank sinker gets out to about 560' Ground Casting. It is a lot less with a nice chunk of bunker and fish finder rig. But I also use it for tossing live Bunker from the beach. I'm not saying that you need to place a piece of bait out to 400' every time but it sure is nice to be able to. And there are situations where you actually need to.