looking for a match - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Default looking for a match

i looking for a Lamiglas SS106MHS i was thinking of van staal 200 or 250 .one more question lamiglas or g loomis??its going to be a meat chucker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: looking for a match

Are you deadsticking? You shouldn't need a vs for chunking bait. Post a little more info on what your looking to do.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Striper Hunter

i looking for a meat stick for bunker and mybe eel .but i want the vs to switch out with another pole for plugs or bucktails' trying to just get one reel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Veteran Elite

Meat chucker/ meat stick??? Are you sure your looking for a fishing type rod??? Zim help me out with this one please. Please explain how you will be using bait and what type of plugging you plan on doing. And please stop talking about meat chucking and meat sticking.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Striper Hunter

i try to do my best.im looking to set up a surf set up .im going to ether using bunker or eel for stripers.i also have a lighter gloomis that i use buck tail and plugs .so i want to have two pole and one reel .i will get extra spools for diff lines.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Try a shimano baitrunner 4500 or 6500. This has a switch where you can use it as a bait soaker or a spinning reel for plugs. A vs is a great reel but won't help you with soaking bait chunks. If you're not chunking but rather fishing live bait then I see no reason why you can't use a vs
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Well a Lami SS is a nice rod but your $ could be better spent. for the 300 and some odd $ you would spend on the SS you could get a Shimano 6000D and a Star Stellar Lite Surf 11' or 12' along with getting the VS for your GLoomis. The benifit of doing this is now you have 2 complete setups so if your out deadsticking you could still be plugging. Now if you don't want to go with the BaitRunner D there are several other reels in the price range that would suit your needs like maybe the Sustain(abit more), Stradic or Saragosa-Diawa Saltist or Emblem(or others) or maybe a Penn Conquer. there are also several other decent reels in that range out there like Fin-nor has a few newer decent offering along with others

This is just a thought as said it might be better to have 2 setups that can can be used together then just one. Also you may want to talk to Zim as he has a Star Stellar and is also a guru on meat sticks There are also several other than the Star sticks that would work well
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i usually wait for all the rhetorical and idiotic question/answer jargon to hash out the problems. this is not my forum to be taking over so if a moderator wants to straighten this out by all means... i'm really posting to see how he handles it. can you say "hot potato?"

Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

I think Suds is the moderator but anyone can chime in.
Forget all the rhetorical bs. Stop at the top. You DO NOT put a van staal on a meat stick!!!

John - if your from SI meet us at Great Kills one night and one of us will show you some gear - hands on.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks JIm ,yes in from Staten Island.are you there every night??are you all the way out on the jetty ??
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM

I think I missed something here.
Where does it say VS as a deadstick reel?

Obviously overkill for throwing clams or chunks, but as a reel on a setup for plugs and eeling it's a great choice.

Meatstick - be sure to check out the Bass Pro Ocean Master rod and learn how to cast an Abu 7000 size conventional - or use a baitrunner.

Plugging rod- there are lots of great choices out there right now. 10' Seeker baby ulua and the 11' St. Croix Mojo just to name two that won't break the bank but are really nice rods.
Can't beat a VS 200 or 250 as a plugging reel on a 10 to 11' rod.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Never mind, I found it, the VS bit was part of the question
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Fiberglass is good for bait IMO since the rod will bend quite a bit. Also, it doesn't matter if it weighs 10lbs, since you only cast a few times an hour, unlike with lures.

As far as reels go, I think somebody here is trying to sell a penn 525 mag, which should be fine for bait or lures. Inexpensive too.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
thanks JIm ,yes in from Staten Island.are you there every night??are you all the way out on the jetty ??
No i live too far away - I may be there sometime this weekend - Moms BD - Sometimes I'll do the walk to the jetty but late at night when its not crowded. Usually there are more productive spots closer - Look for a camo truck when your in the park. Thats how Philly finds me. If you know Phil (NYC Bass man) he's there often and will help get you into a fish.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
If you know Phil (NYC Bass man) he's there often and will help get you into a fish.
lmfao....

jim, call me ahead of time so i know when you are here. maybe blasko "and sudsy if his house project is not too overwhelming will come for some coffee and i have something from frank for you.