Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Rookie looking for some tips

Tags
rookie tips
6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  David Napierkowski 
#1 ·
Hey I'm new to Salt Water fishing. I have fished fresh water my entire life though. I just looking for any pointers anyone out there is willing to give. I'll be staying at school (UNE) in Biddeford, ME for the summer so I'm looking to get some serious fishing in. I'm just wondering what setups, lures, times, locations, and etc. work best to catch stripers and other fish. Reply to this or email me with any advice. I thank you in advance now.

#2 ·
Entire books have been written to cover that question.
You're going to have to be much more specific.

Try using the search feature, there's a lot of info to be found here that's already been discussed.

#3 ·
Yea I realized after I posted that it was a very broad question. I think I can learn the whole idea of reading the beach and whatnot after a little practice. It is the same idea with reading a brook for the little holes and pools and where the trout will be. I have a baitcasting 7' ugly stick im going to be using just to screw around with lures and what not but I am wonder what combos or rod and reels would be best for myself. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of $, but if it is a good setup that is going to last I will spend more. I'm also wondering if anyone on here fishes the jetties on the north and south side of the saco where it goes into the atlantic (Camp Ellis and UNE :) which is like right outside my window. Thanks

#4 ·
Alright what would you guys recommend for making my own rigs. I've been reading a lot online and on Stripers247 and seen a few different ones. The ones I have used in the past were ones involving the fishfinder slide and pretty plain. What hook sizes, leader #, and size of weight? Also would you guys recommend putting a tube, beads, etc. on the rigs and any special knots besides the fishermans knot I should know/use. You don't have to go into detail in your answers just give me a direction. Thanks

#5 ·
Salt water
I use Hook sizes from 3/0 to 8/0 for the most part. Weights are dependent on the weather, surf and the current. Usually 3 ounces to 8 ounces for me.
Mono Line 20 pound test 30 to 50 flourocarbon leaders. 24 to 36 inches.
Braid 50 pound test with 50 flouro leader. Knots for braid to swivel and hook. I use a palomar.

I most always use a fishfinder.

#7 ·
Welcome to the site, its not the same as fly fishing for freshwater, you can either use mono or braid, I personally use both, braid for the jetties, mono one one surf pole, and braid on another. What are you going to be doing? Jetty fishing? Surf Fishing? Boat Fishing?

For surf I would look at a 9 or 10 foot pole, Penn and Fenwick are putting out real nice stuff right now in the 60-100 dollar range and they are nice quality, if you want to go higher quality I'd talk to some of the other guys. Jetty I personally use a 9 footer for everything and some times use a 8 footer for bottom fishing. Reels Okuma is nice for the price but will not last a life time, if you can find some old penns for a good price I'd highly reccomend picking it up. Be more specific and search around on the site. As for making your own rigs i'd highly reccomend it, as well as making your own jigs if you like using them. Knots I would reccomend knowing, palomar for braided, Snell knot for making rigs with leaderless hooks, and the seven twist.

#9 ·
Langevin25, UNE....I went to that school 30 years ago when it was called Saint Francis College. We currently have a beach house a stones through across the river in Saco. You just cant get theya from heya. I use to fish the jetties when I was a youngin in school up there.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in learning about a few other fishing spots or have interest in fishing off my boat. We should be openning the house in a few weeks with the boat scheduled to go in mid-May.

#10 ·
Hi guy. It sounds like your getting decent info. But ya know what? Gather as much info as you can, try it all, use what works and feels comfortable to you. All info is good info. But us striper fisherman don't always use the exact rigs, setups etc. I don't do much chunking anymore, mostly casting plugs in Rhode Island and CT. Just years and years of trial and error. And guess what? It's pretty simple. thumbsup.gif

#13 ·
Sounds like a nice set up,good luck.Just remember to keep up with the screwy rules up there about what's a keeper.Alot of the schoolie sizes you can keep in Maine,alot of what most people keep elsewhere has to be thrown back.There is a link on this site to state regulations.

#16 ·
i wouldnt really know....ask a few of the other guys they would know for sure.....I'm sure there should be some stripers...maybe some winter flounder if you are lucky.....the waters are warmer this year than usual so I'm hoping there may be some more stripers than usual but who knows

#18 ·
Langevin25 said:
so basically the setup is like a fly fishing setup for freshwater.....except your backing is a mono and the line itself is a braid.....and then leaders are fluorocarbon
Not exactly. With mono and heavy spinning gear (11 foot rod), I will use a shock leader anywhere from ten to twenty feet in length or thereabouts. If my *running line* is 30 pound test for example, my shock leader will be about 50 pound test. I use an Albright knot to attach leader to line. If Blues are an issue, in front of the shock leader will be a short length of bite proof wire. With 65 pound PowerPro onboard, about ten feet of 30 test Flourocarbon leader is used mainly for *visibility* issues and to add some stretch into the equation.

With conventional gear w/PowerPro, the Flurocarbon leader is used to add a bit of stretch into the equation as well as for visibility but here the test of the leader is about 1/2 the test of the line itself. Why? If I get hung up on the bottom, for example at the Canal, it is way easier to break off the 30 pound test leader than it is the PowerPro.

There are many variables to the above which should be considered only an opening salvo th_sm19.gif of how various folks rig up depanding on their gear and what they fish for and where.

My personal leader of choice is Seaguar Flurocarbon but I understand that *Vanish* is equally as good and about half the cost.

I have found I only need to use two knots - the Albright knot (25 wraps minimum) for connecting PowerPro to leader and a Perfection Loop at the leader end, connecting to a (Sampo) snap swivel. I have also used Palomor knots for that purpose but for me the Perfection Loop ties quicker and is strong enough for my purposes.

My gear?

Spinning: 11 foot Lamiglass KSRA 1322-2 w/Shimano STELLA 16000F w/circa 440 yards of 65 pound test PowerPro. It casts a 3 - 4 ounce lure for a mile. Its sweet spot seems to be about 3.5 ounces, and does well casting two ounces and a bit under in light to no wind. When casting, I close the bail manually. I could go lighter but spooling up with 660 yards of 50 pound PowerPro seems obscene, and I don't like to underwrap with mono. Every year or so I'll reverse the line.

Conventional: 11 foot Lamiglass XS 11 MHC lure weight 3 - 8 ounces. Reel: Penn International 975CSLD loaded with 65 pound PowerPro. Sweet spot remains to be determined but it casts 5 ounces a very decent distance. (understatement) sign10.gif By the way I absolutely love this reel!

Tight Lines my friend.

David Napierkowski

#19 ·
thanks for the input....i haven't decided if I am going to try a shock leader or not. That is a shit load of line you use on your real though. I don't have the $$ to put towards a huge spinning real at this time tho so ill take like 150yds with a little bit of leader in comparison. I'm going to be having a smaller 7' ugly stick with a diawa baitcasting reel. (pretty good one) for throwing plugs and jigs around in the saco.

#20 ·
Langevin25 said:
thanks for the input....i haven't decided if I am going to try a shock leader or not. That is a crap load of line you use on your real though. I don't have the $$ to put towards a huge spinning real at this time tho so ill take like 150yds with a little bit of leader in comparison. I'm going to be having a smaller 7' ugly stick with a diawa baitcasting reel. (pretty good one) for throwing plugs and jigs around in the saco.
My pleasure. That and $4.50 will get you a Vente Cappachino at Starbucks cigar.gif

From my perspective, a shock leader is best used with mono and not a braided spectra super line. With mono it allows you to throw a heavier weight a longer distance with a lighter line with much less chance of snapping off the lure, weight or whatever. Talk about a sweeping generalization there. sign10.gif To my mind, a shock leader is unnecessary with a line like PowerPro.

Equipment selection is personal and driven by disposable income. laughing4.gif I think you are wise to put the money into a good reel. I've had too many so - so spinning reels *explode* on me in the early days of heavy spinning in the surf circa 1960 or so when I was transisitioning away from conventional for straight casting of plugs.

All the best to you. I am exceedingly envious of you being so close to really quality saltwater fishing. Me? I have to commute 1800 miles R/T :bigcry: But then again I'm an hour's drive to trophy brown, rainbow and steelhead fishing in the AuSable of Michigan. But I'd trade places in a heartbeat. cool_blue.gif

David N.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.