Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Night fishing from shore..

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  bowmanhere 
#1 ·
Where I fish I have never caught a Striper at night. I'll get there 3am and won't get a bite til the sun comes up. Same thing with evening. Never caught one after the sun goes down. It's approx 15-18ft deep and pretty rocky. Anybody hit them good from shore in the dark? What depth? Bottom? There's a couple small sandy bays close by. Should I try there? If work gets in the way I can't go 24 hrs without Striper fishing so I gotta figure something out!! Thanks...

#4 ·
The few times I have night fished (it was from boat) we pretty much fished near our day spots, only we went very shallow.

If you get them there during the day I have to believe they will be cruising thru there at night as well. In fact you shouldn't have to launch your bait out as far.

I can't say we noticed much of a difference in action night Vs. day ... but we have caught a few better fish at night. Could be lack of boat traffic/disturbance ??

It's pretty damn quiet (peaceful IMO) out there on the river at night.

Good luck man
BB

#8 ·
I only used to fish at night off shore, I would get out of work around midnight and be fishing by 1. Start a fire, toss back a few cold ones and fish till 3 or 4 in the morning. We have done very well at night. I don't want to say to stay off the sandy flats, but I would. I would actually go for the rockier shore line. Stripers may like the sandy flats, but herring like to swim the rocks, if you want to catch fish...catch bait first. I have always netted herring and have always done best around rocks on the shore.

#9 ·
I fish a lot at night and do well.When I do fish day or night I try to always fish 3 hours before high and 3 hours of the out going tide.Where I fish is a sandy flat and is my go to place.I always use live herring never have good luck with chunk especially at night.

#12 ·
I just checked out your striper catches for the years 2013-14, Impressive!!
Green Co. is south of me, cant help with much info on any particular area.
I love my night fishing in Albanys area, You seem to know the river, watch areas as the sun goes down, some times you"ll see baitfish movement, erratic behavior,etc.. I like drop offs near an out let of water, small creek etc.. shallow to deep. As Pete says, The behavior is different, they don't mind getting shallow. I like BIG lures for night fishing, 6" pencils, Big black bombers, and needles. I'm gonna try my
2 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits I made over the winter this year, check out my pics!

#15 ·
Hi Fishing at night is the best hardly no one around , seams the folks are more at ease, more pleasant and if you do it by boat please have some kind of light, believe it or not last year out of Athens saw at least 5 boaters no freaking light on there rigs not to smart:icon_cry::frustrated:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.