Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Cape Cod Bay Striped Bass Fishing Report July 12-14

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Miss Loretta Fishing 
#1 ·
If you don't like the weather on Cape Cod, then wait 15 minutes for it to change.

This past week's weather has been crazy to say the least. Monday night featured a refreshing 30 + knot southwest breeze, 3 foot waves and a bunch of water splashing over the bow. Conditions like this = no chance for a successful night trip.

Tuesday night was beautiful with flat calm seas, clear skies, a nearly full moon and a few nice fish kicking around. Brian McCowan was onboard and basically killed it. He didn't drop a single bass and boated fish up to 31 pounds.

Early on in the night we picked up a nice, corky 25 + pounder on a tube, which McCowan quickly brought to boatside. A half an hour later we found ourselves pitching eels to the hundred or so bass that decided to take up residence beneath the hull of the boat. McCowan had no trouble handling the fish on spinning tackle, and once again quickly brought 3 more stripers to the boat.

Later on in the trip we switched back to the troll and picked up 3 more quality bass between 15 and 30 pounds. At this point we weren't marking anything on the sonar, but the bass were in the area, and had no trouble slurping down a tube and worm or two.

And then Wednesday night happened. Things looked great initially, with a light north breeze and sunny skies. However good Old Cape Cod decided to throw a monsoon coupled with a lot of electricity into the mix, as soon as we launched the Miss Loretta at the Sandwich Marina. Needless to say we spent a lot of time sitting at the dock and zero time catching bass.

So what do you do when you get blown off the water? Head down to the Cape Cod Canal of course, for some early morning plugging!

After a quick bike ride down the service road to the Herring Run, I had a nice batch of fish set up smack dab in front of me. It took a heave of a cast into a harsh 25 knot north wind and peltering rain, but despite the conditions the fish had no trouble zoning in on the homemade pencil popper.

Smack! Whitewater sprayed into the air as a nice sized bass sucked in the wooden lure and made a mad dash for the bottom. Instead of chasing the fish down the rip rap, I opted for locking down the drag and horsing him into shore. To my surprise the bass ended up tipping the scale at a hefty 35 pounds. I'll take it!

So to sum it all up, the fish are out in the Bay, if the weather allows you to get to them. At the moment the waves are HUGE in the Bay and I wouldn't recommend anyone head out unless you plan on fishing from a mega-yacht.

The canal was bustling with surface activity this morning. Maybe the fishing in the Big Ditch will hold steady for the weekend warriors.

Let's hope this weekend's weather is a bit more cooperative!

Tight lines,

Captain Ryan

For more up to date reports, and fishing information for Cape Cod please visit:

www.myfishingcapecod.com

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.