Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

have squidder, surfmaster and penn 965 intl

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oldgoat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I was looking for some input from you folk's on a conventional rod to use for casting plug's. 8-9 feet 1-3 or 4 oz. I have some squidder's, surfmaster's and a penn 965 levelwind, which is on a 7' 6" st croix tidemaster tc76mf rated 8-7 lb line 1/4-3/4 oz..
I have been reading through a number of post's and have entered several search's for a conventional setup with a squidder and such a rod. I must be doing something wrong because I can not find a post saying-I like my squidder on xyz rod for plugging3 oz darter's. Close as I have come is that Frank used a squidder, or you need a levelwind if you want to use a conventional.
While I will spend more time seeking this info on this and other forum's- 3 day's so far--- maybe somone can shed some light on what they would/are doing with a CONVENTIONAL SQUIDDER, SURFMASTER REEL FOR THROWING PLUG'S.
I only Highlighted conventional squidder, surfmaster reel because those are what I have and those are what I will go with. Living in Cleveland , Ohio I can assure you that my Tackle shop's are not geared toward's surf fishing. What I am looking at is a st croix tidemaster TIC80HF 8' h f 17-40 lb 3/4-3 oz 8.5 oz rod wt for 180.00
Reading a book by Frank he said to keep the setup at 2.25 lb's did that!
Squidder 18 oz rod 8.5 26.5 oz. So who has/had such a combo setup with a squidder/surfmaster reel and would you mind sharing?
P.S. I am going on vacation and have been lucky enough to book a hotel by a bass pro shop!!! that has that rod. I would like to fish for striper-which I have not done before- so if there is another rod that fit's the bill PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, enlighten me.
Thank you
tunaboy:smile:
PP.SS. I don't what to start a conversation about spinning/conventional. I practiced with a conventional jigmaster and penn 4/0 in the snow for a trip to Maui. I also had a accident that almost lost the tip of my index finger and I do not like a spinner on that finger. yep my throwin hand.:smiliedoh:

See less See more
#2 ·
Tuna dude I use a squider on a 10ft glass rod . It is soft enough to have a parabolic bend meaning that the whole rod bends like a bow from tip to but. I Think the best way to find a rod is to try out a few that your buddies have . 2nd choice would go to a shop and try a few rods by placing the but on the inside of your right foot ,,grab the rod half way up with your left hand and then with your right hand pres down between your left hand and the but. This will give you an idea of the power that can be stored and then used in the cast. i hope this helps as there is a lot more that goes into testing a rod but since i,m typing with one finger this should get you started. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.