Blues eat flies ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Official Member

Default Blues eat flies ?

On a recent trip to westerly area R.I. ,we encontered schools of stripers just off shore with blues outside..Ended up removing wire leader on flies as fish were shy..Every once in a while , we would hook blues & the flies were chomped off..These wire leaders were #15 test but seemed to keep the stripers at bay until removed..What do you guys do in this situation, just try #40 mono? Or was this just a single incident..On the west coast stripers are'nt leader shy . but we don't have wire keaders or blues..I'm thinking 2x long flies for next year..Any thoughts?...Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Blues eat flies ?

We tie flies for bluefish with longshank hooks with the material back towards the bend and about an inch+ of empty shank in front, keeps the blues teeth off the leader. Bass will often eat em too.

If the bass don't want them then you have to go with a length of 50# Flouro as a leader
Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea jim, the longer shank hooks with the fly tied midway down the shank acts as a biteguard but seldom works either as the choppers are fast and agressive and usually miss and bite the fly off. did you use that tieable stuff? i will send the ones i use. easy to make a haywire and brown in color so not as dark or shiny. still not great as flurocarbon but with the anchovy/rainfish blitzes it works for both. wish i had some time to fish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Official Member

Just ordered some 2x long hooks..Will also try the heavier flourocarbon too...God what a blast in the blitzes...I'm still in shock.. I just stopped at Mike Fixters house ( Our renowned plug builder on west coast) & gave me two plugs for back east..So nnow I'm all pumped up...To turn plugs , tying flies ,wire leaders....Wife thinks I'm crazy, just got home & planning for June...Jim
Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don;t know what to say, you are a madmad! see if you can find a place to get polar bear? my girl has went underground and i cannot summon her up! i wanted to make some bucktails for the Montauk trip this weekend but will have to do with what i got. will be out with the longwand at 4am. the wind is west so my cast will be into timbuktoo! tired of the ho hum plugging and baitfishing and have got to really suffer the cold out now, i just live for this weather, wish i didn;t have to work these coming weeks cause november is gonna be on fire here.