The difference is obvious - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Default The difference is obvious

I had a little time on my hands today and found myself in an area that has been giving up a few nice fish lately. Right in the shadow of the city of Providence. I pull into the parking lot and notice an old timer casting some custom plugs. I get out of my truck and go over to him. I ask him if he is an internet guy and then what sites he goes to after he says yes. I ask him if he knows us and he says he does. I ask him his screen name, he tells me and I introduce myself. I will not reveal him. I ask him why we have not seen him around for a while. He just kinda shrugs. Then a few more faces I recognize show up. Turns out a bunch of folks from another site are showing a member around while he is in town for a week. As we chit chat for a while, a car with 3 guy's pulls up and they get out and start fishing. Obvious newbies, without a clue. The guy's from the other site start to laugh and use the googin term and other nonsense. As I watch the 3 guy's try to get things figured out with 1 of them with a little experience trying to help his buddies out. I walk over after watching them try to cast a few times, and start to give them a few lessons. The newbies get better almost immediately and I give them a few lessons on the few plugs and poppers they bought at the shop up the street.As I walk back over to the group of so called sharpies, I here one of the newbies let a big whopping yell, as he hooks up with a decent sized Striper on a popper i just showed him how to use. I help him fight and land it, then show him how to properly release it back into the river.
When I get back to the group of "experts" who are now scrambling for rods and plugs, I say, I just busted a Googins cherry, it was a lot more fun than bustin his balls! But then again you wouldn't know about that would you? I get in my truck and pull away.
I am a refugee from that other site, and this is exactly why I love this place so much. I honestly believe that any other member that I know here would have done exactly what I did today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Default Re: The differance is obvious

Here here Gunny...here here
Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: The difference is obvious

Right on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Ya done a good thing. And you're right Gunny, helping someone out, is the right thing to do. It comes back to ya, many fold.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 AM
First Mate

That is what THIS site is all about... Gunny I would expect nothing less than what you did from every member here... Hell you've been helping me like that for months

Bryan
Old 05-28-2008, 04:33 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

"I honestly believe that any other member that I know here would have done exactly what I did today."

Hell yea Gunny....I agree 100%.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
First Mate

Thats why I come here... In hopes that someone will drift along side me one day, notice my 247 hat and start showing me what to do. Luckily I was invited out with Jimmy who has just a wealth of knowledge, Zim who will always remind me of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse now... someone who's mind is so in tune with the mentality of fish and there movements it overwhelming, and Eric who tried to kill me while giving me some pointers . Thanks guys.
I hope one day I can learn enough to pass on the torch.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Great story! Now who are the sharpies and who are the googins? Hopefully the newbies weren't the only ones to learn a lesson! Those new guys must have had a ball, and a wonderful memory for years to come, and a great start to an awesome pastime because of Gunny.
Now I'm a real newbie's newbie, so I think I'll have to find a 247 hat myself and hope to run into one of you guys!
Wish me luck!
Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenegade View Post
Great story! Now who are the sharpies and who are the googins? Hopefully the newbies weren't the only ones to learn a lesson! Those new guys must have had a ball, and a wonderful memory for years to come, and a great start to an awesome pastime because of Gunny.
Now I'm a real newbie's newbie, so I think I'll have to find a 247 hat myself and hope to run into one of you guys!
Wish me luck!
Jeff
Way to go Gunny!!!

Good luck with the hat Jeff ,I have been waiting for the new ones myself,as my old one is more than likely in Cuba by now on someone elses head,but I still have my shirt,VT
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Good job Gunny. Guys like you keep me coming back to this site.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Right on Gunny. I have learned so much from the members of this board that I feel its my duty to pass on that knowledge to any one who wants to learn. Those guys you helped out will be fishing for the rest of their lives now.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i think they taught gunny more than he taught them. just when you think you've got humility you at that moment lost it. so it is a humble man who asks for help and asks to help. way we f$#@#$n roll here~

Old 05-29-2008, 02:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: The differance is obvious

okie dokie
Old 05-29-2008, 03:04 PM

Just take a look at the contest forum and see how many guys gave away their own stuff here to new members. And at the gatherings time and expense out of pocket expecting nothing in return.
Not to mention individual guidance and hands on tutorials.
To me that speaks volumes.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 PM
First Mate

nice job gunny, it's no surprise to those of us that have fished with you.