Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn Captiva line

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
looking at a rod/reel combo $75 over at Kittery Trading Post, has a Penn Captiva CV4000....What's anyone think of the Captiva's? Lookin at it for catchin them schoolies and jiggin for bait.

#2 ·
...that seems like a good combo...I just got the new "Offshore Angler" calalog, they have a similar set-up for a similar price. Any Penn reel or rod is usually very good. Penns and Shimanos are the only reels I fish with.

I've always been a fan of Penn Reels...im not too sure about their line or hooks...maybe they should just stick to what they're good at. (but thats just me)

#3 ·
Penn Captiva

My brother recently purchased a Penn Captiva combo, but i'm not sure the exact model number. It is a good feeling combo, but the one he got didn't have a switch to turn on the "reverse". I forget what they call, it but the mechanism that allows you to crank your reel the opposite way to let out line. I wouldn't buy one without that feature, but what do I know.

#4 ·
Thumbs down in my opinion :nay: I have a Captiva I picked up a year or 2 ago to test out, a baitrunner model. It is now on a 8.5' Ugly Stik InterCoastal custom I use it for lazy fishing the marsh (or jetties , which I dont fish much anymore anyway). Although the bearings are somewhat smooth, the drag is poopy in these reels. It has the infamous "chunky" Penn drag, you know....it like skips and jerks. Not smooth at all. The Tica and Shimano drags are 50 times better. Even some of the Okuma drags blow it away.

Also, my buddy James picked up a Captiva (non-baitrunner) sometime in June, and when fishing one of the dams, the handle completely snapped off when fighting a fish. Totally unacceptable. "White metal". Rubbish.

#5 ·
penn craptiva

if anyone is cosidering a penn craptiva reel....DONT!

they are a waste of your hard earned cash. im fairly new to nyc salt water fishing and bought several of these reels. the 6000/5000 liveliner/two 4000's and a 4000 liveliner.

the 6000 went back to sports athourity within a half dozen trips.
i had a 4000 replaced
the anti reverse on the 5000 liveliner just crapped out
the 4000 liveliner has seen alot of use it caught at least 50 blues and a few stripers and it still works fine but for the $ the okuma epixor is a far superior reel. i own an epixor liveliner and i have no complaints

just stay away frrom the entire line

#7 ·
buy it! then go directly to someone you hate and hand it to him or her! the only good penn reel is the 4500-9500 ss series or 704 706Z models (spinning anyway) and the graphite handles on them i would be leary of. the captiva's and the cs models all have a handle problem as they are made out of cast compound and glazed to look like aluminum or stainless> the drag knobs are shiott too as the brass bushings will strip and leave you in freespool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.