Spotlight Jamaica Bay - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Striper Guides & Charters
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striper Guides & Charters Fishing Reports from Striped Bass Fishing Captains. (All other registered members can reply to threads, but only the Guides can start threads.)

Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Spotlight Jamaica Bay

Spotlight Jamaica Bay

Captain Vinnie/Karen Ann Fleet

As March begins to wind down, sunny days are more frequent, and the reality that Jamaica bay will once again come to life begins to unfold. Those unfamiliar with Jamaica bay will be surprised that nestled among the urban environment rest this body of water an oasis if you will for all manner of marine life. Transients are on the move from air, sea and land all finding a seasonal home here in this magnificent bay. Each tide the water receives new life, baitfish, gamefish, shore birds, and plants in an abundance that would be the envy Noah’s ark.
Jamaica bay has a devoted group of anglers it’s a mix of kayakers, shore casters and boaters all pursuing some impressive fish. Probably the most heralded is striped bass.
As of this writing water temperature in the bay fluctuated from forty three degrees on the ebb and spiking to forty five on the flood. Saturday morning I did some pre season recon not really anticipating any great catches but more or less a spin around the bay just becoming acquainted with my old friend as it begins to shed its winter coat.
And although I saw no note worthy signs of fish, it was good to be back on the bay. The water itself still had remnants of last weeks blow, marsh grasses, driftwood, here and there an abandoned hull thrown back upon the banks all typical liter from a hard winter. The soiled brownish tint of the water, give or take a weeks tides will give way to a more pleasant hue. An occasional dimple up in the back bay from a herring signals that there’s life here. Peering across the water on this early morning the sun was kind to us reflecting off the surface as I cut through the islands separating the north and south side of the bay recalling the many spots that soon will hold fish.

http://www.karenanncharters.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Spotlight Jamaica Bay

Nice article! Capt. Vinnie is one of the best captains in the area.
Looking forward to more articles and reports!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Official Member

Yes great articles. Look for them weekly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Official Member

Hey Cap!!!!!
Looking forward to getting first keeperS of the season on your boat!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Official Member

Captain Vinnie / Karen Ann Charters

Spotlight Jamaica Bay
Karen Ann
Looks like a shot of bunker has made its way into the bay this week suffice to say a few fish following them around. If the weather continues on track the bassin should build daily for the next few months.
The Radar Piers
Jamaica Bay has two distinct piers or long wooden groins one on the north side close to Howard Beach east of the train trestle and one on the south side up toward Inwood. In years past they illuminated the runways with their lights as sight conditions wavered either at night or by fog. The seasoned decaying wood is home to a variety of marine life and makes an excellent ambush point from which bass, blues and weakfish can cruise in and out of. Both are excellent forms of structure that should be probed and fished in a variety of ways. Kayakers can appreciate this lair of wood maneuvering in and out with stealth like approaches which others can not. Often bait gets corralled among the pier itself and anglers can snag and work the schools. Purist can sling artificials into and along the wood which is also another productive technique. Metal lip swimmers dragged in the area and light bucktails are good choices. New comers to the bay should definitely consider giving it a shot when in the area. I prefer the flood and ebb tides for this spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jamaicabay-ka.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	13118  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Official Member

will be fishing with you guys soon looking to do a night trip with you guys need to be schooled lol
Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Official Member

Spotlight Jamaica Bay
May 9th 2010
Captain Vinnie Calabro/Karen Ann charters

Well looks like the good old days here in Jamaica Bay, striped bass invaded the bay following the bunker schools and doing what we as anglers like best chewin'. These bass probably some of those ocean run fish wandered back here and have really been a force to reckon with. Dawn being a magical hour one can see the bass herding the bunker on top and crashing through them, some jumbo blues and a few weakfish mixed in. It seems to be a big body of bass spread out from the head of the bay all the way back to Inwood and points east. Aboard my boats were probably up to well over several hundred keepers the best toppling the scales in the mid thirties. Their husky fish as should be expected when their feeding on the big baits bunker and herring. It's a good time of year to be on the water everywhere one scans boats and shore fishermen alike are out and bending their rods. Even the bunker schools are prolific which comes as a pleasant suprise to me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope they don't peter out with the warmer weather to come. Theres no set pattern but I'm a dawn and pre dawn advocate for bigger fish, but that's not to say it can't happen at any time. Tides seem to be somewhat of a factor so target your fishing times around moving water.You can buzz me at 516 728 6952 or check out my website www.karenanncharters.com