Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Manual Pick-up VS. Standard Bailer -- Van Staal vs. Zeebaas

67K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  mike17670 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've been looking for some new reels. I have never used a manual pick-up. what advantages/disadvantages do they have? Is it worth the extra money to get a reel with a Manual Pick-Up?

#28 ·
Dual roller system as a counterbalance. The ability to change to any size spool and have One roller - two rollers or even a bail.
I should clarify that the .20 and the .23 Zeebaas reels have spools that can change without having to change out the rotors.
To change out the spools and or bail and rollers on the other models the rotor must be changed as well.
This is certainly not cost effective. The attraction therefore would be in the durability and self maintenance of the reel.
Perhaps in the future with increased production it will become more cost effective to change systems.
As it is now you might as well just own the different sized reel.
PS.
The dual roller system makes it ridiculously easy to pick up the line for retrieval.

#29 ·
Self-service kits are avilable from zeebass and the handle housing is removeable using a 22 mm open ended wrench.
They also sell a synthetic grease which changes from red to pink if there's a breach in the seal.
If the seal is breached and you were ever to get water inside you'll know about it. The grease is formulated to absorb water and prevent any internal parts from damage.
http://www.zeebaas.com/self_maintenance.html
The Backlogs on production is approaching 4 months.

To compete with the no doubt quality Zeebaas reel , Van Staal is making a tool kit available for self service and reportedly will be lowering the prices on their reels.

#35 ·
Re: Zeebaas Rough

An extra spool goes for $300 - which explains the price difference.

I could be wrong but isn't the finish different on the Rough ??

#37 ·
Re: Zeebaas Rough

The finish: The machined aluminum frame, spool, rotor and foot are coated (Z-Coat) with a special military spec. finish altered slightly to our own specification. It is ultra hard and has five times the corrosion resistance of other high end reels in the market.

The z-preme
Brown Product Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics

#38 ·
Weight and specification comparisons

Zeebaas

gear ratios 4.75 : 1 on all models

ZX20RS and ZX20RD 16.9 oz. max drag 30 pound
ZX22RS and ZX22RD 16.9 oz. max drag 30 pounds
ZX25RS and ZX25RD 18.5 oz. max drag 35 pounds
ZX27RS and ZX27RD 19.5 oz. max drag 40 pounds

ZX20RS and ZX20RD 350/10 Mono
ZX22RS and ZX22RD 450/12 Mono
ZX25RS and ZX25RD 400/15 Mono -- 430/40 Braid
ZX27RS and ZX27RD 360/20 Mono -- 500/50 Braid

Van Staal

VS100 12.2 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.75 : 1
VS100B Bail 16.9 oz.
VS150 12.7 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.75 : 1
VS150B Bail 17.6 oz.
VS200 21.7 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.25 : 1
VS200B Bail 26.5 oz.
VS250 22.3 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.25 : 1
VS250B Bail 27.6 oz.
VS275 24.6 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.25 : 1
VS300 28.6 oz. -- Gear Ratio 3.25 : 1

VSS SERIES LEFT-HAND

VS150L 12.7 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.75 : 1
VS250L 22.3 oz. -- Gear Ratio 4.25 : 1

VS100 225/10 Mono -- 220/20 Braid
VS150 340/12 Mono -- 330/30 Braid
VS200 400/15 Mono -- 400/40 Braid
VS250 350/20 Mono -- 490/50 Braid
VS275 425/25 Mono -- 350 yds. / 80 Braid
VS300 350/30 Mono -- 450/80 Braid

#39 ·
So I bought a Penn 705 on that auction site and a bailless kit from penn parts.com and for 75 bucks Ive got a MP reel... Which by the way I freaking Love... Not a single wind knot and the learning curve wasnt all that bad, even in the dark... I 100% reccomend anyone thinking about going with an MP do it... Thanks to all the advice from this thread, I have a reel I would have never thought to buy that I absolutely love... Thanks guys :gob_icon_cheers::gob_icon_cheers:
Now on to the big question... where in the hell can I get a bailless kit for the 710 / 711??? Nothing on penn parts and I rarely hear these reels mentioned anywhere

Bryan

#41 ·
The Zeebass
The supreme kit is still available. And a semi automatic bail is available this December.

I made an inquiry to Rob asking about the issue with sand getting in under the drag knob on some reels and whether the left handed reel / kit will be available.
Rob says that they are refining the left hand reel over the winter months and plan to have them at the upcoming shows.

"The drag knob can be filled with rubber plugs that I will make available. This will eliminate the sand issues. The new spools will not have holes anymore"

#45 ·
Some guys filled it with RTV black silicon automotive adhesive. I was considering doing it with mine but instead just rinse it after each use because you have to rinse it anyway. The reel is skirted but you have to rinse out any skirted reel.
Rob has made a gasket available.

#47 ·
i posted on here in march of 2008
and as of 2 years ago i did finally manage to kill my zee.
had issues with sand in the drag and it did cost me a couple of really good fish. the reel started to seize up on me also, but gave it to tim and he reconditioned it as good as new. it is a first generation model and overall i am happy with it. with that being said i bought a van staal this winter to fish montauk and harsh conditions as my zee proved to be unreliable in those cases.
i cannot speak for the newer gen zeebaas but have a friend who has 2 and he loves them.
also the vs is a larger reel. so ill make a personal comparision after this season.
bailess is great, as stated earlier you wont pop off any valuable wood, but i prefer the single roller with counterweight, the dual roller would occasional catch the line on a cast
just my 2 cents
mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.