Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

REELS? PENN Vs Shimano

Tags
penn reels
57K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  hunter12 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Bought these two reels. The Shimano was roughly $160, while the Penn was $140. I was looking at how they compare online but there is only really the stats and stuff available and no real forum of actual fishermen comments are available.

I was wondering has anybody used these reels ? And, also, How does the PENN rate against the Shimano which is apparently better? ( I heard some bad stuff about the PENN real just after I bought it)

Ps The type of fishing I do is just from the rocks, using herring and Mack chunks, mostly into small inlets where i let the current take the bait until the line stops rippin off the reel.....then wait.

Comments?

Editorial on the PENN 5600

East coast tackle Shimano stradic

#5 ·
Zim still uses a shillelagh with a spark plug :lmao:

Preference question stripiere. I like the Penns but as jB noted the drags are definately smoother on the Shimanos.
I however own both but not the liveliners so I couldn't tell you about them. The shimano baitrunners are nice reels IMO for bait fishing. Very smooth front and rear drag systems. The Penn 704Z series are great for plugging and chunking with as is the larger SS series. The drag isn't as smooth but very functional even under rough conditions.

140 bucks seems like a lot for the 5600 :icon_rolleyes:

#6 ·
THUNNUS!, YOU CAN DO MOST PLUGGING AND CHUNKING. I'M A RATHER STOCKY GUY SO PLUGGING WITH A REEL THAT SIZE WOULDN'T BOTHER ME BUT WOULD KICK SOME LESSER MANS ARSE! BUT THAT BABY CASTS WELL. IF YOU ARE GONNA SHELL OUT HUNDREDS FOR TACKLE THE THUNNUS IS AROUND 250-280 DOLLARS. AS BAITRUNNERS GO I ALWAYS WOULD'VE PREFFERED THE MEATIER REEL. WENT INTO MICHAELS AND SAW A VAN STAHL ON THE COUNTER WITH A BROKEN HANDLE! SO MUCH FORE DURABILITY ON A 6 LB BLUEFISH, SO EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN EXTREMELY WELL MADE REEL IT HAS IT'S FLAWS. (YEA SOMEONE WILL COMMENT( factory defect) :shrug:

#56 ·
THUNNUS!, YOU CAN DO MOST PLUGGING AND CHUNKING. I'M A RATHER STOCKY GUY SO PLUGGING WITH A REEL THAT SIZE WOULDN'T BOTHER ME BUT WOULD KICK SOME LESSER MANS ARSE! BUT THAT BABY CASTS WELL. IF YOU ARE GONNA SHELL OUT HUNDREDS FOR TACKLE THE THUNNUS IS AROUND 250-280 DOLLARS. AS BAITRUNNERS GO I ALWAYS WOULD'VE PREFFERED THE MEATIER REEL. WENT INTO MICHAELS AND SAW A VAN STAHL ON THE COUNTER WITH A BROKEN HANDLE! SO MUCH FORE DURABILITY ON A 6 LB BLUEFISH, SO EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN EXTREMELY WELL MADE REEL IT HAS IT'S FLAWS. (YEA SOMEONE WILL COMMENT( factory defect) :shrug:
my thunnus 16000 ROCKS. like Zim says its not for a lesser man:gayyee: ITS JUST A BIG BAD ASS REEL.

#7 ·
i mentioned above about the 9500. Not for plugin. 200 or so casts with that 32 ounce reel on a big stick and your arms are fallin off.
Zim The 6500 shimano is half the price of the thunnus and just as good.
Its incredible to me that half of great kills plug the surf with Van Stalls.
Lots of experience surfcasters or lots of "mad money".

#9 ·
Zimno hates baitrunners

Hey Jim, thanks for weighing in! I bought 3 shimano baitrunners this year (3500, 4500 and 6500) and Zim told me to trash them! By the way he told me this after he launched a new "Experiment, a pretzel jar with two striper rigs attached to it, off the pier! Things went well for the first hour of the experiment-and then somebody snagged it and was not happy!LOL Anyway I really like the shimanos they are smooth as my next drink!

#10 ·
chunker doesn't like my pier experiments, however he will shi# when i tell him i got a doubleheader of weakfish on one of these experiments. and yes one googan with a baitrunner got victimized by my jug experiment but then again it was one less pole in the water getting in the way lol :lol:

#11 ·
The Stradic's I prefer for the higher end reels, I tend to stay away from the Penn Spincasters (although the Penn 309M LevelWind is my favorite reel ever!). Another GREAT choice for higher end is the qauntum Cabo Spincasters, they are around 200 dollars, but they are extremely nice reels, nice and lightweight. For me though, with the bigger reels (50 size and over) I really love the Okuma Avenger Reels, I beat the crap outta those, and they're only 50 bucks! GREAT reels. If you want a cheap one like an Okuma though, do NOT buy the quantum Optics series reels, they are TRASH. The price difference for an 80 size is 10 bucks (avenger 50, optics 40), and it is not worth the money at all. At the shop I work at, we got an order of around 60 of the Optics in, and half of them have the anti-reverse feature (that prevents the reel from spinning backwords) wasnt working at all. Also, our display units after sitting on the shelf for 2 months, became a little sticky, while the avenger were just fine.

#15 ·
Re: REELS? PENN 5600L Live Liner Vs Shimano STRADIC 6000FH

wow this is an old thread somebody voted on.
I like both and use both. Maybe i should edit the poll to include that.

#16 ·
I couldn't vote, there are too many unmentioned variables to take into consideration

Depend a LOT on the Penn, some are great like the Greenies and Z's and some are crap like a lot of the new made in China models.

The exact same can be said for Shimano, the low end reels are real trash and will be lucky to be in one piece at the end of their first season in the surf while the higher end stuff can be pretty nice and will last for years (just try not to dunk em too much)

To the guy that plugs with a Thunnus - HOLY **** I have a 12000 and I'd be crippled within an hour trying to throw plugs with that 32 oz monster!!
Best Baitrunner ever made for throwing meat though.

#40 ·
I couldn't vote, there are too many unmentioned variables to take into consideration

Depend a LOT on the Penn, some are great like the Greenies and Z's and some are crap like a lot of the new made in China models.

The exact same can be said for Shimano, the low end reels are real trash and will be lucky to be in one piece at the end of their first season in the surf while the higher end stuff can be pretty nice and will last for years (just try not to dunk em too much)
What are the better models of Penn and Shimano? We won't need to mention the models that don't make the cut. I have, and like my Shimano 4500 and it sounds like the 3500, 4500, 6500's are all good.

#20 ·
hi..zim......hello.gif. good to see you still got the sense of humor....ass face. i got the perfect reel for you to try out..ill send it to you........along with a spool of your favorite k-mart mono.....you know damn well the shimano baitrunners are good quality reels..versatile too...

#21 ·
FIGURES YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF SHODDY REELS TO SEND OUT. wow, since you bought a baitrunner you are giving away the trusty calstar rod and reel? what about the trusty zebco you so sadly covet? if you were offended by the handicapped kid outfishing you then you should change your diaper sissy boy, lmfao:lff3:

#22 ·
not offended at all..just glad to have the opportunity to bust your balls a bit..as well as enjoy the nut crackin efforts comming from you..the googan master...funny how you mention calstar..figures you would know the maker of the ultimate "powerhouse" reel....jim tells me you got a few of those calstars mounted on your prized ugly sticks and shakespear "bigwater" rods....the reel that i have is way to good for me...its built from superior, aircraft grade, polypetroliumsodiumcarbonaterubberized alloy for optimum performance and it even has the high tech "lock down" drag system..as line peels off the spool..the drag automatically tightens for excellent stopping power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.