Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 STRIPER REPORTs

121K views 229 replies 42 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2019 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#91 ·
Today was a good day although it started out tough. The bite on Ebb tide has not been good so the morning was tough until the tide slowed at about 11:30 and switched. These fish have been running into deeper water around West Point during the Ebb tide where it is actually warmer and as the warm water flows in on the Flood tide they move into the Bay. We set up south of Bannerman's Island where they travel and it paid off......just at the end of Ebb into slack they started to show up on the east side in 28-32 FOW in force and were quite hungry....lots of line screamers today. They then proceeded to travel up into Newburgh Bay and pretty much hung out in a line between the 2 channels in 38 FOW...then when the Ebb tide returned they moved South again. Water temps were 51 in Marlboro where there were very few fish and Newburgh bay went from 51 on Ebb to almost 57 on Flood when the bite turned on. We ended the day with 30 fish up to 31" with most in the 24-28 inch range. There were lots of bait steelers too....OMG...I was tempted to put on a tiny hook and grab these guys. My buddy Chad got his first Striper ever and we had several doubles and triples....I felt bad at one point when we tripled up and the guys in the boat next to us looked over wondering why none of their rods went...they were literally 20 ft off our Stern.

Attachments

#92 ·
Decided to take a last minute vacation day to hit the water.
Herring were extremely easy to obtain. I had no trouble scapping or jigging. Ended up putting 15 in the boat from 31" to 39.75" on both live and chunk. Lost a bigger one at the side of the boat that wasn't hooked well. LOTS of run and drops, one line break and lost at least 4 to the circle hook turning into the bait. I think I'll have a beer to celebrate a damn fine day.

#95 ·
Unlike yesterday today was a tough day and we spent most of it looking for them. NB was windy and slow in the morning. Marlboro was a desert as was Poughkeepsie but we found them loaded in 25-30 FOW up at Black creek. Unfortunately they were not interested in feeding and we only got 1. This happens every year around May 10th.....the first wave of Stripers has continued North and the second wave from the lower Cheseapeake area has not arrived yet. Generally by May13-15th they arrive and Marlboro to Newburgh lights up again so do not get discouraged. For the next few days if you can find a traveling school and stay on them you will do well...otherwise the river from Marlboro to Newburgh will look dead. On another note....the fish are stacked up from Esopus to Kingston where the water is warmer. These cooler temps down in Newburgh are keeping the ones that are there retreating to deeper water on the Ebb tide and the ones that went through are hanging around in the areas up North with warmer waters. Once the temps climb they will become much more active.

#97 ·
Still had herring from thursday. So I went out right after work. Fished 4-8pm. Nasty little storm around 6pm scared many off. Another skunk day. Tried East side 20ft water, then after rain tried west side in 10ft of water till slack tide.

The water surface was dead until slack, then splashes. Might inflate the 10 foot raft and get the little 8hp roaring and try south for sunday, or even tonight.

Feeling close to slack is what they been liking, due to the surface splashes on smaller stuff.

Wandered back to the catskill creek from north of the bridge around 830pm. Dead scope. On the way out around 430-5pm looks like there were small fish in the main channel 10-25ft deep. Helix 7 SI fishfinder is new to me though.

Out with misses today. Hoever, need to replace prop on my 20hp tin boat. She don't like 2ft of water by the rocks near the train.......

Auhh well, I think I needed a 10 pitch more than a 11 pitch on it anyways. Got a too easy to spin 9 pitch that over revs past 5/8th throttle. Atleast Im in the game.

#98 ·
We did a quick family trip including the 1yr old and 3yr old. 5pm to 7pm. Fish were certainly a bit thinner in NB bay than last weekend but there was a consistent stream of thick marks around 30' of water. We landed a nice 14lb male and soon after a boat nearby caught something large as well. That was my neighbors first fish! How spoiled!
Speaking of stream, that guy had a constant one going all over our boat for at least a solid minute. Hope he will recharge for the spawn!

The girls were feeling sick but some of those big schoolie clouds started building and we picked up two more before we had to run.

Attachments

#99 ·
Fished 7-9pm Had a tip to look in deeper water. Was anchored in the edge of 40ft near the catskill bridge. Couple on line shakes, but no takers. Tons of fish on the fish finder at 30 and on the bottom of 40. Looked like the bait was in the channel too on the way there. Wasn't expecting a miracle had herring I used live on the hook, then fridged for a day or two. Didn't have time to get fresh bait from the dock baitwell.

Had to work at mom house and pull the boat to fix a bad prop. Finally got my 3rd live liner reel spooled up at river basin.

Looks like they're solidly here in catskill as per the stack of eyebrows on my hummingbird helix 7.

#101 ·
Just got back from spending Fri/Sat/Sunday on the water. Friday we fished from Rogers Point to the Esopus lighthouse but got there mid morning.........the bite was on fire at first sun then slowed quite a bit despite the whole area being loaded with thick schools. My buddy got several fish over 40 inches in the morning and 20 others....we only got 4 to bite in the afternoon. We drifted from Marlboro all the way to Dennings through the nite from Fri to Sat and had a few runs on an eel but no hookups. The bite south of Poughkeepsie was tough as the fish seemed to have developed pre-spawn lockjaw which according to my records happens every year around this time. The cold front didn't help either. There were very few fish from Poughkeepsie to Marlboro. Newburgh was quite loaded but they dispersed fast as the sun came up on Ebb tide. During the pm Flood tide they schooled up along Dennings in 28-32 FOW and some were biting but not nearly to the extend a school of that size should have. During the day they were spread throughout the Bay but were not interested in feeding so not much catching was going on. We end up with 4 up to 32". Water temp up at Black Creek was 54-55. Marlboro 50. Newburgh started at 53 and hit 58 on Sat with the Sun. Sunday was probably the most miserable cold rainy, windy, rough day I have ever seen on the River. Again....lots of fish just off Dennings but no bite at all.

Going back out tomorrow. I expect the bite down there will be slow but should pick up by Wednesday which is 3d before the full moon...although the long term weather forecast is not good. On a side note....Sat Sandy Hook lit up and there were tons of Striper caught....this is a good sign as they are on their way up to us....they should arrive in Newburgh by the weekend...I expect the bite to be off the hook then.

Attachments

#103 ·
Just got back from spending Fri/Sat/Sunday on the water. Friday we fished from Rogers Point to the Esopus lighthouse but got there mid morning.........the bite was on fire at first sun then slowed quite a bit despite the whole area being loaded with thick schools. My buddy got several fish over 40 inches in the morning and 20 others....we only got 4 to bite in the afternoon. We drifted from Marlboro all the way to Dennings through the nite from Fri to Sat and had a few runs on an eel but no hookups. The bite south of Poughkeepsie was tough as the fish seemed to have developed pre-spawn lockjaw which according to my records happens every year around this time. The cold front didn't help either. There were very few fish from Poughkeepsie to Marlboro. Newburgh was quite loaded but they dispersed fast as the sun came up on Ebb tide. During the pm Flood tide they schooled up along Dennings in 28-32 FOW and some were biting but not nearly to the extend a school of that size should have. During the day they were spread throughout the Bay but were not interested in feeding so not much catching was going on. We end up with 4 up to 32". Water temp up at Black Creek was 54-55. Marlboro 50. Newburgh started at 53 and hit 58 on Sat with the Sun. Sunday was probably the most miserable cold rainy, windy, rough day I have ever seen on the River. Again....lots of fish just off Dennings but no bite at all.

Going back out tomorrow. I expect the bite down there will be slow but should pick up by Wednesday which is 3d before the full moon...although the long term weather forecast is not good. On a side note....Sat Sandy Hook lit up and there were tons of Striper caught....this is a good sign as they are on their way up to us....they should arrive in Newburgh by the weekend...I expect the bite to be off the hook then.
Doc ,are you referring to your log book slow action by date or moon phase I checked mine going back a few years using only date I'm out almost every day didn't see much difference using just the date . Steve 55&OUT

#104 ·
Doc, your reports are a complete 180 from how it's been up north. No reports of even decent days up this way. Usually around this time the bite dies off because of herring overload. Keep pushing them up river, we need some hungry ones.
What is your definition of up North........today Hyde Park was on fire. I will post when I get pics downloaded.

#106 ·
There were still not many fish in Marlboro up to the Mid Hudson Bridge but they were plentiful north of the MHB up to Roger's Point. There was a steady flow of fish along the East side heading north. We also noted a bunch of spawning over the channel which is 132' deep there. Often 2 or three fish came up with the one you were reeling in. We ended up with 15 for the day up to 38 inches/ 19 lbs. My buddy caught one there which was 42"/ 34 lbs just before I arrived. The bite was good on flood tide and definitely diminished on the ebb tide. Water temp was 55 degrees which is about where spawning can start but I'm concerned the eggs have a much lower survival rate at this temp. I have one day of work tomorrow then 10 straight non-stop days of fishing. Wednesday is 3 days before the full moon so this combined with more of the Chesapeake Striper coming up should make for a hot bite all over.

Attachments

#110 ·
I'm fishing in the Greene County area. The number of huge schools (albeit mostly with lockjaw while passing) that I have watched on my fish finder heading North over the past week was unreal. Hopefully that's a good sign for you guys further upriver. Keep your fingers crossed. They have to eat at some point!

#111 ·
Still fishing, but started at 630am. Got maybe too big too keep girl at 715am in 12ft water on center piece of chunk. West side at catskull within sight of public launch. Cauft a nice catfish at 930 or so.

Came off boat during peak current. Seems either side of slack is what's been getting strikes or seeing surface activity. Water visibility maybe foot and half, not bad considering what creek looks like.

Catskill has been steady 54-55. Creek is 47.

Fishing till 7. There is a ton of debridge in river today. Seeing whole dead trees, huge log chunks. Center seems ok, just sides of channel are loaded.

#114 ·
As of this afternoon,cruising between the port of Albany and Dunn Memorial...not much on the sonar, maybe they’re holding at the dam. Water was between 51-52°. Hopefully it’s just a lull because the temps dropped. I like the sound of 30# possibilities. Water was really high, loads of debris, filled my bait well with river water and had only an inch or two of visibility. That dirty water should heat up quickly when the sun finally shows.

#115 ·
Hopefully these pics went up.

1st fish was a 32" or so, didn't measure, just put back.

Catfish around 10am or so

second bass around low tide 630pm in 22ft water on chunk. Again splashes picked up around. River was moving... Tried to set anchor 3 times in 16ft water with a 100ft line, no luck.......

Snow was what my good old cutlass saw driving in monday morning in northern greene county. Pic was taken on my way to the boat around 4pm. Great may we're having.....

Scope was slow today, but did get a few leftovers...... Back at it thursday after work. Might take my surf rods and try from shore in green island area friday.

#118 ·
The bite is on from Poughkeepsie and North. We fished all day (still out here now) and ended with 50 up to 36" most in the 24-28" range. They seem to be feeding mostly on the am flood tide....as soon as the tide switchex to ebb they dispersed and stopped feeding. Many of the hits are still running north which is a good sign. We marked a lot more fish tonight from Marlboro to Poughkeepsie but the bite was short lived on the pm flood and none after 10 pm so we are getting some rest for an early start...we did lose a monster on an eel though tonight. Back out at 5am. I will post pics when I get home and can download them.

#121 ·
Smile Vertebrate Jaw Sleeve Fish
Natural landscape Plant Rectangle Wood Font
Natural landscape Plant Rectangle Wood Font
Water Cloud Sky Boat Fisherman
Fished in the Kingston area Wednesday. Got 8 drifting worms mainly 18-25", marked tons of fish couldn't get many takers . Headed back out first thing this morning, marked a lot of fish south of Esopus at first light only got 3 shorts . Made a quick move up river to Esopus Meadows only a couple boats around, marked lots of fish there got striper on every drift we made had a double and triple with the triple having a 20 lb fish was netting it while holding one of the rods that was going down with my foot! What a day! After picking up around 20 fish there all the trolling boats swarmed in like vultures, moved up river towards the rondout and ended up marking blankets of striper the screen was full for a good couple hours . Ended up with 41 fish for the day . Ran out of worms while they were biting! Seemed to take both bloods and sands 50/50. Posting pics of this trip plus our biggest fish this season from a couple weekends ago.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.