Bucktail vs. "swimjig" - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Bucktail vs. "swimjig"

Hey everyone,

I just finished reading Doc Muller's book "The Ultimate Guide to Fishing With Bucktails".

First off, the book is great and I highly recommend it to anybody interested in the most versatile lure ever made.

My question: Are modern version of the original bucktail as effective, more effective, or less effective? Im assuming that most bucktails made nowadays aren't actually made with hair from the tail of a deer....but instead made out of man made materials.

In particular I'm curious to thoughts on lures similar to this:

The above bait is known as a "swimjig" and is very popular in southern California for all types of fishing. The bait is typically fished with a soft plastic swimbait as a trailer, and occasionally a "blade" (from a spinnerbait) is attached to the rear.

Im interested in the possibilities of fishing "swimjigs" like this with the standard pork rind trailer seen on the original jig 'n' pig.

Any thoughts on this? How about modern bucktails (man made fabric) compared to older models. I'm really interested in bucktailing for stripers now that I fish artificial lures 99% of the time vs 5 years ago when I was a bait and wait guy.

I should also point out that the "swimjigs" shown have a skirt made out of some type of plastic material....im sure ya'll have seen them or used them for freshwater applications.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Bucktail vs. "swimjig"

I've fished bucktails for nearly 50 years... my faith lays with good old fashioned deer hair, it breathes and looks alive...I've tried lots of othere synthetic fibers..IMHO.. none fish as well as deer hair...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Thanks Roc that's all I needed to hear!
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

http://www.tidaltails.com/

I use all black and red & white during the day. Same goes for the pork rind I put on them. I get those from the uncle josh pork rind site.

Read that book; %100 effective.